2029-04 Talons trade One Dollar for 18 game winner

GM: Sean Marko

Moderator: jiminyhopkins

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

2029-04 Talons trade One Dollar for 18 game winner

Post by jiminyhopkins » Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:55 pm

The Talons saw the early morning offer from the Louisville Sluggers and couldn't refuse.

SP Manny Bautista for $1.00? One Dollar? Is this for real? What's the catch?

Well, the catch, obviously, is that he's old and makes a lot of money. But thats also how the Talons approached the expansion draft, and they ended up finishing with the best record of any expansion team while pulling in $93 million in revenue. Another plus is, he's only guaranteed one more season. Any similar pitcher the Talons would pursue on the upcoming FA market would surely want multiple years to sign.

No, Manny probably won't replicate his 18-10, 3.59 performance of a year ago. But he does have a chance to reach 200 wins next season, and he is an extremely popular player who will help maintain interest in the fledgling franchise. As a veteran left handed pitcher, Bautista would serve as a mentor to the Talons' own young lefty, 15 game winner Martin Ssempa. The hope is, despite Bautista's loss of velocity, he can be effective as a changeup pitcher for at least one more season.

All of these details, advantages, and disadvantages would normally be cast against who the team gave up for this veteran pitcher. But that's the thing. The Talons gave up nobody. In fact, with the ascension of Andres Martinez as the catcher of the future, the club was already planning on declining current catcher Chad Lawrence's $15.9 million team option. That more than covers Bautista's salary for 2030.

So for one dollar? Sure why not!

GM, 2051, 2053, and 2058 JL WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2058)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

felipe
Ex-GM

Re: 2029-04 Talons trade One Dollar for 18 game winner

Post by felipe » Tue Feb 07, 2017 9:16 pm

As a contender, I couldn't take the risk of holding that salary if he suddenly bottomed out

I didn't fancy the idea of packaging him with a blue chip prospect just to be rid of him if he does suddenly decline

And I got a bunch of kids that seem ready for the Bigs next year

But yeah, good deal for you I think

And if he holds up, you can get some nice specs for him at next years deadline

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Phoenix Talons”