2031.01 - Slingshot at a Cross Roads

GM: David Burcicki

Moderator: DaveB

bcslouck
BBA GM

2031.01 - Slingshot at a Cross Roads

Post by bcslouck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 7:50 am

Desiderius 'Slingshot' Kirshbaum is a very talented player. Since coming to the BBA from the now defunct EBA, Kirshbaum has been the subject of conversation around Baltimore and around the league.

With rumors of him being on the Trade Block also come rumors of him potentially moving to 3B. This coming a year after the Jimmies put him out in CF full time. While a couple of teams have inquired what the cost would be for his services, the team seems intent on taking their time and not making a move for the sake of making a move. And while the growing pains at 3B may affect the team in the short team, the kid is only 24 and may be able to give them a viable 3B option in the near future, something the team has not had in their existence.

The team has even kicked around moving back to 2B, which is the position he played in the BBA. The main thought on that is that while he's not great there, he at least already knows how to play there. His skill set, however, suggest he's an OF or 3B. But the injuries have mounted for the young man from Germany. This passed season alone, he went on the DL twice and was injured another two times, causing him to miss 8-9 weeks of the season, not including and rehab assignments he took.

"With the emergence of Quezade in CF and the rapid development of the teams 2029 first round pick, the first ever for the team, RF Aubrey Anderson, and having All-Star Alfredo Salazar able to play either of the corner OF spots effectively, it puts us in a bind with Kirshbaum," GM Brandon Slouck said in a interview. "We love the kid as a player. But we aren't sure if his body can keep up the with 162 game grind out in the OF. 3B isn't a picnic either. But he will have a lost less running to do, and the hope would be to cut down on some of his injuries. He took to CF pretty quickly. We hope he can do the same at 3B." When asked if he was exploring trading him, the GM gave a typical GM response: "We've been asked about a lot of players. Sure, his name has come up. He's a talented player. Still young. He's pretty versatile. A lot to like about him."

Only time will tell us how the team will handle him. They seem committed to putting him at 3B. There aren't a ton of 3B options out there, but giving they would like to contend next season, they may try and nab a proven 3B. While that player may not provide the upside of Slingshot, he may provide some stability to a position CCJ has lacked that Slingshot may not be able to provide for a season or so. He has the bat to stick around Charm City. But can he change positions again to fit in the teams short and long term plans?
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Ted
Ex-GM

Re: 2031.01 - Slingshot at a Cross Roads

Post by Ted » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:04 am

FYI I had John Galt (7/8/8/9 defensive fundamentals) at a 1 rating at 3rd before ST. He finished the spring rated 3 and was 5 by mid June, after which he stopped hurting me too much in the field (he was about a -10 ZR by mid June and ended up -12 or -14 or something like that, actually improved his ZR in September). He made it to 7 by the end of the year before regressing to 6 this offseason. Just wanted to give you a timetable idea if you do play slingshot at 3rd.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:14 am

Ted wrote:FYI I had John Galt (7/8/8/9 defensive fundamentals) at a 1 rating at 3rd before ST. He finished the spring rated and was 5 by mid June, after which he stopped hurting me too much in the field (he was about a -10 ZR by mid June and ended up -12 or -14 or something like that, actually improved his ZR in September). He made it to 7 by the end of the year before regressing to 6 this offseason. Just wanted to give you a timetable idea if you do play slingshot at 3rd.
That isn't too bad. If he can manage to not kill us there by the All-Star break, I'd be happy about that. I thought about doing it last offseason, but need him in the OF. It was brought up again by someone (don't want to out him since we were talking a trade) and I decided to rethink it. Pretty good problem to have. Having a nice bat and trying to find a spot for him. Hopefully he adjusts well and the injuries decrease there.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:01 am

It's hard to replicate it with 10 day sims, but Kirshbaum is an ideal "supersub". He's capable of playing a gold glove caliber 3B/LF/RF(with enough exp.), can be more then respectable as a CF and passable if forced into 2B/SS for a couple of games. If we used 7 day sims you could play him one day here, one day there, give him the rest he needs as an injury prone player and he is like a 10th starter. His value is his versatility. If you suffer an injury to anyone but you're catcher, chances are you can plug Kirshbaum in somewhere and not have to stress out about being weak at a particular position. I'd ,at the very least, let him play 3B in spring training to increase his versatility. The kid just turned 24, so he should pick up experience quicker then an older player.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:09 am

ae37jr wrote:It's hard to replicate it with 10 day sims, but Kirshbaum is an ideal "supersub". He's capable of playing a gold glove caliber 3B/LF/RF(with enough exp.), can be more then respectable as a CF and passable if forced into 2B/SS for a couple of games. If we used 7 day sims you could play him one day here, one day there, give him the rest he needs as an injury prone player and he is like a 10th starter. His value is his versatility. If you suffer an injury to anyone but you're catcher, chances are you can plug Kirshbaum in somewhere and not have to stress out about being weak at a particular position. I'd ,at the very least, let him play 3B in spring training to increase his versatility. The kid just turned 24, so he should pick up experience quicker then an older player.
Good points and I agree. I usually don't do the 7 day sims in my other league, unless I have a player with a day to day injury, but he would be a great player for doing that. Not only to keep him fresh with the couple days off, but to keep the regulars fresh. We'll see how the 3B thing goes. I can always keep him on the bench, and have him start every couple games or something at certain spots. It's a nice "problem" to have.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:13 am

ae37jr wrote:It's hard to replicate it with 10 day sims, but Kirshbaum is an ideal "supersub". He's capable of playing a gold glove caliber 3B/LF/RF(with enough exp.), can be more then respectable as a CF and passable if forced into 2B/SS for a couple of games. If we used 7 day sims you could play him one day here, one day there, give him the rest he needs as an injury prone player and he is like a 10th starter. His value is his versatility. If you suffer an injury to anyone but you're catcher, chances are you can plug Kirshbaum in somewhere and not have to stress out about being weak at a particular position. I'd ,at the very least, let him play 3B in spring training to increase his versatility. The kid just turned 24, so he should pick up experience quicker then an older player.
I think he is a bit light in the infield range department to pull that off but I love the idea. It really is a shame they haven't given us the ability to do a 10 day lineup to utilize this. Although the danger there becomes what happens if your super sub gets hurt the first day of the sim? Now you have to trust the AI to find suitable replacements for all the diff positions he is supposed to cover on the rest of the 9 days of the sim. Yikes...
GM Vancouver Mounties

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:21 am

bschr682 wrote:I think he is a bit light in the infield range department to pull that off but I love the idea. It really is a shame they haven't given us the ability to do a 10 day lineup to utilize this. Although the danger there becomes what happens if your super sub gets hurt the first day of the sim? Now you have to trust the AI to find suitable replacements for all the diff positions he is supposed to cover on the rest of the 9 days of the sim. Yikes...
Would that be a case where having a good, reputable manager or one with the traits you like would work in your favor?
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 10:29 am

bcslouck wrote:
bschr682 wrote:I think he is a bit light in the infield range department to pull that off but I love the idea. It really is a shame they haven't given us the ability to do a 10 day lineup to utilize this. Although the danger there becomes what happens if your super sub gets hurt the first day of the sim? Now you have to trust the AI to find suitable replacements for all the diff positions he is supposed to cover on the rest of the 9 days of the sim. Yikes...
Would that be a case where having a good, reputable manager or one with the traits you like would work in your favor?
Its a thought but no.

You said it was a good problem to have and I agree with that sentiment but because of the nature of the league, it still is an actual problem. All of our subs are marginalized. Its really hard to find guys at bats if they aren't a full time starter or in a strict platoon. The AI just cannot be trusted with that. Stick him at 3rd full time and enjoy. He will be really good after the initial growing pains.
GM Vancouver Mounties

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:26 am

Sounds like a plan.

Now, for getting guys to learn multiple positions. Do you think it'd be wise to instead of having them start at their primary position, to just have them be the backup to all the spots you want him to know and just set it to start every 2nd day? Or would doing that just have him start at one spot since you can't start at every spot every 2nd day. Maybe do like every 2nd at his primary, then 3rd at another position, 4th at another, and etc. if you want them to learn more?
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:50 am

Spring training/minor leagues, pick a position and have him 100% focus on it. In the strategy tab, make sure to force start at the desired position and also check the box that says never lift for a pinch hitter. This way you give him 100% playing time in all the games that he starts all the time. Rinse/repeat. They don't gain experience fast enough any other way. Soon as a guy hits 6 or 7 at a position rating, move him somewhere else if you think it will benefit you long term.

IRL Ben Zobrist is a godsend. Managers must love him. He is a true super sub. Throw him all over the place to spell other guys, without inducing a black hole in the lineup. In OOTP, it doesn't work. Ben Zobrist is a nightmare. You can't fully utilize his ability to play all over the place and at any given position you can find a better full time guy. It sucks but its the way it is. Kirshbaum is Zobrist. He is actually deceptively worse than he looks for the reasons above.

However 3B is kinda light these days so sticking him there full time is a win.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Mon Apr 17, 2017 11:52 am

You're better off just starting them at the position you want them to learn. I've been toying with this. Sometimes when I pick every second day at multiple positions or 2nd day at one, 3rd day at other, etc, the player just gets starts at one position. I've even had guys set to every 2nd day at say CF and every 3rd day at 3B and get NO CF starts. I'msure it has something to do with how the AI fills out the lineup.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:12 pm

bschr682 wrote:Spring training/minor leagues, pick a position and have him 100% focus on it. In the strategy tab, make sure to force start at the desired position and also check the box that says never lift for a pinch hitter. This way you give him 100% playing time in all the games that he starts all the time. Rinse/repeat. They don't gain experience fast enough any other way. Soon as a guy hits 6 or 7 at a position rating, move him somewhere else if you think it will benefit you long term.

IRL Ben Zobrist is a godsend. Managers must love him. He is a true super sub. Throw him all over the place to spell other guys, without inducing a black hole in the lineup. In OOTP, it doesn't work. Ben Zobrist is a nightmare. You can't fully utilize his ability to play all over the place and at any given position you can find a better full time guy. It sucks but its the way it is. Kirshbaum is Zobrist. He is actually deceptively worse than he looks for the reasons above.

However 3B is kinda light these days so sticking him there full time is a win.
I know about setting the strategy to get them XP at the main position. Basically, get them above average than have them try other spots?
Ted wrote:You're better off just starting them at the position you want them to learn. I've been toying with this. Sometimes when I pick every second day at multiple positions or 2nd day at one, 3rd day at other, etc, the player just gets starts at one position. I've even had guys set to every 2nd day at say CF and every 3rd day at 3B and get NO CF starts. I'msure it has something to do with how the AI fills out the lineup.
Yeah, I can see that happening. I figure the AI wouldn't know what to do every 6th game (With one spot every 2 and one spot every 3). Or however many X games based on how you set it.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:19 pm

Yup. Once they hit 6 or 7 they wont kill you wherever they end up playing so you might as well start learning something new. They can top off their experience at their primary position during the season.
GM Vancouver Mounties

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:26 pm

I will try and remember that. Thanks.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:29 pm

Also if we now suddenly switch to 7 day sims, you can pretty much just ignore everything we have said. This will change a lot and if you are brave, super subs can be a thing now. haha the timing of all this is classic.
GM Vancouver Mounties

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Mon Apr 17, 2017 12:31 pm

I was thinking the same thing. The timing of it all is weird. Between changing position specialization and the sims. Keeps making go back and forth on how to handle him.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Sun Apr 23, 2017 8:03 pm

Well guys. He is already a 5 at 3B. Hopefully that is legit. That will certainly play.
Brandon Slouck
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Charm City Jimmies”