2059 Des Moines Kernels Preview

Team, Division, League, Playoff, and all other comprehensive previews go here.
bcslouck
BBA GM

2059 Des Moines Kernels Preview

Post by bcslouck » Thu May 09, 2024 5:47 pm

After breaking their long playoff streak in 2053 and making it in 3 of 4 years, the Kernels have steadily starting falling back off. Late in the offseason, the Kernels went a new direction when their GM stepped down which probably doesn't help their chances for 2059. That isn't an indictment on new GM Jessie Ramirez. There weren't many moves made before the change and the real game changers are off the market.

Additions that Move the Needle
*MIF Sid Turcotte
*COF Manoell Whanon

These are the only two moves of any substance and neither are big time moves. Turcotte had a nice bounce back in Rocky Mountain last year, buoyed by the hitter friendly park and providing slightly below average defense. He cashed in by doubling the money he was set to make for the Oysters and I'm just not sure he was worth that. The team does have a team option if he falls off. If he proves me wrong, he'll be worth picking up that team option. Whannon struggled after being traded to Rocky Mountain. He still has the ratings of a decent hitter with the ability to provide solid defense in the outfield corners. It's a similar deal to Turcotte's but at half the price.

Losses
*COF Stewart Illingworth

Traded to Des Moines a little before the deadline, Illingworth was quite productive for them. He is still a free agent if they want to bring him back. Looking at their depth and the addition of Whannon lends me to believe he will not be back.

Infield
*C Andy Elmer
*1B Bane McCoy
*MIF Ricardo Muñóz
*MIF Sid Turcotte

This is the group that I think will be starting. I'm guessing Turcotte will play SS over Muñóz given he has a better arm. The latter should compete for a Zimmer at 2B. Neither will be competing for a Puckett however. Elmer fits a similar bat profile while being a solid catcher. The arm won't throw many out but he can do the other things fairly well. McCoy is the guy to watch. He hasn't done much in the majors yet but he fits the profile of a slugging 1B. I'd imagine he breaks camp and plays his first full year in the majors.

Outfield
*COF Hasheem Makin
*COF Manoell Whannon
*COF/DH Wilson Alomar
*CF Hector Cano, Jr.

Makin has been an above league average hitter every year but once and continues to be solid defensively. I'm thinking Alomar will DH but he is still solid. We've already talked Whannon. HCJ is the X factor here. Still an elite defender with plenty of power, his overall production hasn't been the same since being traded from Rocky Mountain. He showed he still has that in him in 2057 but followed that up with the worst full season of his career. Silk caliber HCJ makes this team interesting. I'm betting he's better than last year but not at that Silk level he used to be at.

Rotation
*Tommy Akers
*Garth Dobbs
*Alonso Amaya
*Dave Lachance

Akers has already shown the ability to be a TOR pitcher. The last 2 years have been a struggle and Des Moines will be looking to get him back on track. Dobbs hasn't been in the rotation much despite having the chance to be the teams best starter. It may not be this year but it will be soon. Amaya and Lachance are both young players that have the chance to at least be solid starters. These 4 guys are the clear 1-4 in my opinion.

'pen
*Arnold Richmond

Richmond has the makings of a starter but should be an elite stopper if given the chance. To me, nobody else really sticks out. While the team doesn't have any real strength's, this is by far the weakest group.

Prediction
The best thing going for Des Moines may be the lack of movement in the division. Not that WAR is the end all be all, but only Yellow Springs netted more WAR this offseason. The have solid pieces but just don't think they have enough. If they can keep some of the young guys around, they have interesting pieces moving through the minors that would make them competitive again in 2-3 years. A HCJ Silk season makes them interesting, potentially pushing them back over 80 wins. I'm guessing that doesn't happen and they win 74.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

bcslouck
BBA GM

Re: 2059 Des Moines Kernels Preview

Post by bcslouck » Fri May 10, 2024 6:22 am

Realized I left out Ricardo Norman at 3B last year who was fantastic, winning the Gillstrom. I'm not sure he's the hitter he was last year but he's a very nice player. Arm may not keep him in the hot corner long term and 1B is blocked unless they eventually DH McCoy.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Previews”