2023-2024 Rule 6 EBA Rights Draft

Rule 4 (Amateur) and Rule 5 (unprotected minor leaguers) Drafts.
- Also the history of the now defunct EBA-related Rule 6 and Rule 7 Drafts.
Chey
Ex-GM

Re: 2023-2024 Rule 6 EBA Rights Draft

Post by Chey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:07 pm

Probably would have bounced between CF and RF. He's a great RF and an adequate CF, but with so little bat to bring to the table he'd have to be a pretty good CF to make this worth it.

I'm definitely leaning towards passing, but I have until 6am tomorrow, right?
Adam Dyck
Cairo Chariot Archers Baseball Club, General Manager 2043-Present

Edmonton Jackrabbits, General Manager 2029
Belfast North Stars, General Manager 2028
Havana Sugar Kings, General Manager 2022-2027

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:14 pm

If you want my 2 cents: that is as easy a pass as it gets, Adam. You can get a +5 CF ZR, .650ish OPS, 15 SBs guy for waaaaay less than 13.5M per - for over half a decade.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

avery

Post by avery » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:17 pm

Chey wrote:Probably would have bounced between CF and RF. He's a great RF and an adequate CF, but with so little bat to bring to the table he'd have to be a pretty good CF to make this worth it.

I'm definitely leaning towards passing, but I have until 6am tomorrow, right?
You got 48 hours, I believe.

avery

Post by avery » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:18 pm

The question is does YS want to spend $52M for Baca's first season.

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:41 pm

I'm surprised Cal had that kind of a budget, honestly. I don't remember them cashing in a bunch of PPs, did they?
Adam Dyck

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:45 pm

Chey wrote:I'm surprised Cal had that kind of a budget, honestly. I don't remember them cashing in a bunch of PPs, did they?
They probably spent every bit of budget plus every bit of cash they had.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:55 pm

Yeah, but, he makes CAL a legit contender next year (assuming you thought they over-achieved this year - as I do), so even if they went over budget and dipped into cash to sign him, they should make it up in attendance and/or playoff revenue from winning.

YS, on the other hand, would bankrupt themselves and put themselves in a hole that it would take a loooong time to dig out of if they matched. For this year it would put them at nearly 120M payroll on the year (obviously they'd have to cut someone to get under the cap) and I doubt they project to rake in more than 70-80M in revenue even with the handful of extra wins he might get them (fans don't normally care too much about the difference between 65 and 70 wins). Then going into next year after recording 40M+ in the red for this season, they'd still be rocking a 65Mish payroll with him in tow hoping to simply break even. I doubt they even start to record profits until year 3 (on the season, that is, they'd still be 40M in the red from year 1) - and even then that is only if they decline Sharp's TO and keep their roster barren. So now you're looking at, what, year 5 or 6 before they finally dig themselves out? And, oh... what do you now, that's right around when Baca is going to be a FA, lol.

It was a perfect poison pill that only a handful of teams could've made. Kudos, Ted... and grats on your new superstar.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

indiansfan
BBA GM

Post by indiansfan » Fri Nov 13, 2015 6:38 pm

Calgary matches on Walter Garcia
Kevin

Calgary Pioneers 2004-
BBA Landis Champs 2018, 21
FL Champs 2018, 21, 39
FL Pacific Champs: 2016, 19, 21, 34
FL Frontier Champs 2039
FL WC 2018, 26-29, 31-32, 35
JL WC 2040, 41, 44
FL MOY 2019, 34
JL MOY 2044

avery

Post by avery » Fri Nov 13, 2015 8:42 pm

agrudez wrote:Yeah, but, he makes CAL a legit contender next year (assuming you thought they over-achieved this year - as I do), so even if they went over budget and dipped into cash to sign him, they should make it up in attendance and/or playoff revenue from winning.

YS, on the other hand, would bankrupt themselves and put themselves in a hole that it would take a loooong time to dig out of if they matched. For this year it would put them at nearly 120M payroll on the year (obviously they'd have to cut someone to get under the cap) and I doubt they project to rake in more than 70-80M in revenue even with the handful of extra wins he might get them (fans don't normally care too much about the difference between 65 and 70 wins). Then going into next year after recording 40M+ in the red for this season, they'd still be rocking a 65Mish payroll with him in tow hoping to simply break even. I doubt they even start to record profits until year 3 (on the season, that is, they'd still be 40M in the red from year 1) - and even then that is only if they decline Sharp's TO and keep their roster barren. So now you're looking at, what, year 5 or 6 before they finally dig themselves out? And, oh... what do you now, that's right around when Baca is going to be a FA, lol.

It was a perfect poison pill that only a handful of teams could've made. Kudos, Ted... and grats on your new superstar.
these numbers are way off. I could accept Tuna and be in the black by next season. The thing is though, I've been saying all along he's not really my type of guy. I selected him so I would get right of first refusal, which I will probably do.

c-mitch
Ex-GM

Post by c-mitch » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:09 pm

Tucson matches on Felix Gonzalez.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:16 pm

Matches updated to here. YS9 and BUF have until 6am SUN 11/15 to make their decisions.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:30 pm

avery wrote:
agrudez wrote:Yeah, but, he makes CAL a legit contender next year (assuming you thought they over-achieved this year - as I do), so even if they went over budget and dipped into cash to sign him, they should make it up in attendance and/or playoff revenue from winning.

these numbers are way off. I could accept Tuna and be in the black by next season. The thing is though, I've been saying all along he's not really my type of guy. I selected him so I would get right of first refusal, which I will probably do.
Wow. I cant believe you are thinking of letting him go. Big salary obviously but he is only 21. 21!
GM Vancouver Mounties

avery

Post by avery » Fri Nov 13, 2015 9:44 pm

bschr682 wrote:
avery wrote:

Wow. I cant believe you are thinking of letting him go. Big salary obviously but he is only 21. 21!
I could take him and trade him to you on June 1. Let me know if you're interested... it's you or Cali or maybe Buffalo who has the cap space, as well as me.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Fri Nov 13, 2015 10:57 pm

What part of my numbers are wrong? You had 85M in total revenue last year (5M above my back of the napkin guess). So with a 110M player payroll (assuming you can cut 10M to get under the cap) and 10M in staff+draft expenses (probably a low end estimate) you'll lose 35M next year if you match. It looks like you have 17M in-game cash and -2M in your bonus funds, so you'll be 20M in the red to start next season. That's the one thing I didn't consider - that you had a little a priori cash saved to cushion the blow.

Still, the next season you enter 20M in the hole with a 70M player payroll (your current projected + Baca's salary) and the same 10M in staff/draft expenses. So you'll recoup 5M (basically just enough to offset stadium dues) with a static 85M revenue. Now you're entering year 3 of Baca's contract still 20M in the hole and with no offseason acquisitions (since your owner will cut you off due to the hemorrhaging of cash). When do you finally get yourself out of debt so that you can start actually trying to put a team *around* Baca?

No matter how I look at it, matching Baca without 1) Trading for some cash to offset his salary or 2) Dumping the rest of your roster to get salary down would be franchise crippling.
-Ron, 2025 media guide

avery

Post by avery » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:15 am

agrudez wrote:What part of my numbers are wrong? You had 85M in total revenue last year (5M above my back of the napkin guess). So with a 110M player payroll (assuming you can cut 10M to get under the cap) and 10M in staff+draft expenses (probably a low end estimate) you'll lose 35M next year if you match. It looks like you have 17M in-game cash and -2M in your bonus funds, so you'll be 20M in the red to start next season. That's the one thing I didn't consider - that you had a little a priori cash saved to cushion the blow.

Still, the next season you enter 20M in the hole with a 70M player payroll (your current projected + Baca's salary) and the same 10M in staff/draft expenses. So you'll recoup 5M (basically just enough to offset stadium dues) with a static 85M revenue. Now you're entering year 3 of Baca's contract still 20M in the hole and with no offseason acquisitions (since your owner will cut you off due to the hemorrhaging of cash). When do you finally get yourself out of debt so that you can start actually trying to put a team *around* Baca?

No matter how I look at it, matching Baca without 1) Trading for some cash to offset his salary or 2) Dumping the rest of your roster to get salary down would be franchise crippling.
Strike two.

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Sat Nov 14, 2015 12:38 am

Lol, I pulled numbers straight from the game and did excruciatingly simple addition and subtraction. How is that even arguable? It seems you're already a couple stages into the grieving process so I'll drop it before "strike three".
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Chey
Ex-GM

Post by Chey » Sat Nov 14, 2015 1:13 am

now let's all argue about the Tallboom contract.
Adam Dyck

Edward Murphy
Ex-GM

Post by Edward Murphy » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:37 am

Guys, Guys, Guys, haven’t we seen this before. One of the participants GM’s will take the player for a few years. Then become unhappy with his team or player performance placing RF Luis Baca on the trading block, or trading him to a team looking for toxic contracts. This will not come without a price, the receiving GM will get RF Luis Baca along with another first round and maybe a second round player(s) also. In return the trading GM will receive 2 third round players and 2 players over the age of 34 on their way out to pasture. Then the receiving GM will spend PP for in game cash to help offset the toxic contract, leaving only the strong to survive. :coffee:
Edward Murphy

Playing with a Purpose
awm53222@yahoo.com

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Sat Nov 14, 2015 7:40 am

Edward Murphy wrote:Guys, Guys, Guys, haven’t we seen this before. One of the participants GM’s will take the player for a few years. Then become unhappy with his team or player performance placing RF Luis Baca on the trading block, or trading him to a team looking for toxic contracts. This will not come without a price, the receiving GM will get RF Luis Baca along with another first round and maybe a second round player(s) also. In return the trading GM will receive 2 third round players and 2 players over the age of 34 on their way out to pasture. Then the receiving GM will spend PP for in game cash to help offset the toxic contract, leaving only the strong to survive. :coffee:
...I had no idea you were funny.

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Sat Nov 14, 2015 8:39 am

Avery, just wondering what makes Tuna not your kinda guy? Not criticizing, just curious. Is it defense? That's really what I don't like about him. He's a deceiving 8 in RF. Bad range probably makes him a negative ZR player. That's what I don't like most about him. I just figured with my perennial 8th place draft position, this was my best good shot to pick up that kinda lefty bat, which I desperately need.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Locked Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Draft Central”