59.024 – Jiménez Stressed, or Super Focused?

GM: Ron Collins

Moderator: RonCo

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

59.024 – Jiménez Stressed, or Super Focused?

Post by RonCo » Sat May 11, 2024 11:09 am

Off Topic
Catcher’s Ejection Earns Hurler’s Respect

April 5, 2059: Forever Land – Most team insiders understand Pedro Jiménez is under a little stress. His bat did not perform last year, and even though his glovework improved, no one much cared. Fans of Earth’s Team are no different from fans of Venus’s Team or Mar’s Team fort that matter. They want results.

Catcher Making Friends
On The Mound
Jiménez was 1-4 on Opening Day, collecting a single and scoring a run in the team’s victory over Vancouver. But he didn’t make his second start until three days later when the club opened in Forever Park. It was an outing that lasted only until the second inning when he took a called strike, fouled off a pitch, and then took another called strike on a ball he thought was outside the zone. He took a moment to stare at the umpire, and then used his bat to draw a line far outside the plate.

That was enough for rookie umpire Phar Cited to run him.

When manager Richard Lawson came out to chat, Jiménez walked away, shaking his head.

The running left his average at a cold .200, which at this point of the year is just a number, but regardless, a low one. It was enough that some pundits suggested the young catcher was feeling the heat, but after the game his conversation was more subdued and on point.

“The umpire was giving them (Sacramento hitters) everything in that first inning, and it cost Francisco (Bikini starter Francisco Ortiz) a couple runs that he shouldn’t have gotten tagged with. I had been letting him know what I was thinking all that inning and the next. When he called that first strike, and it wasn’t close, I figured I knew the score. The third was a farce, really. I mean, I know saying that is going to cost me a fine, but I got my pitcher’s back, you know? It’s not my fault the guy behind me can’t see the ball.”

Francisco Ortiz backed his catcher up. “I knew what he was doing when he did it,” the starter said. “That’s the kind of thing that makes me want to throw with him forever, you know? It cost him a couple at bats, but he made his point and after that the zone was back to being the zone. Just let him know that if he gets tagged for it, I got a checkbook and I’m not afraid to use it.”

Ortiz finished the game allowing only those two first-inning runs in his five innings pitched. It was strong enough to pick up his first victory of the season.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Return to “Bikini Krill”