What Happens In Vegas 1997.1- Steel moves on to Austin

GM: Matt Rectenwald

Moderator: recte44

recte44
GB: Commissioner

What Happens In Vegas 1997.1- Steel moves on to Austin

Post by recte44 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:46 pm

Las Vegas and start shortstop/third baseman Gabriel "Pretty Boy" Steel went back and forth on extension negotiations for most of the 1996 season. Steel's demands were pretty extensive. He wanted a minimum of a four year contract (at one point he wanted a FIVE year deal), and he wanted in excess of $7M per season. The Hustlers were offering up to three years at about $4.5M per year. Steel and his agent rebuffed all offers even when it seemed the two parties were getting close to a deal. It was Free Agency that Steel desired, and as the Hustlers season ended, Steel's free agent "odyssey" began.

With the MBBA's new FA Compensation rules now in place, Steel found that being a Free Agent slapped with a "Class A" tag wasn't all it was cracked up to be. The tag, which requires the signing team to give up their #1 ammy pick (and also awards the old team a supplemental pick between the 1st and 2nd rounds) scared off all suitors during the winter. It was only the Hustlers who continued to offer Steel the same three year, $4.5M per year offer. Steel continued to hold out.

When the winter became spring, Steel's demands started to come down as they always do for players in this situation. Once again, Las Vegas laid out their offer. However, the Austin Riverbats came in at the last minute and got Steel to sign with them for 2 years at $5M per season. Austin= $10M. Las Vegas= $13.5M. Makes sense.

So in the end we save $13.5M on a player that we didn't really need anymore, and were interested in signing for mostly loyalty reasons, and get a #1 and a supplemental #1 to boot. We'll take it.

As for the Riverbats, they are getting a great player. Steel is a borderline Hall of Famer at this point. His defense has always been above average, and so has his stick. He has a legit chance at joining the 3000 hit club. If he does, he can punch his ticket. If not, he'll be one of those "just missed" kind of guys. As Austin looks to improve on the solid effort they put forth last year, it's with gamers like Steel that they'll get to the next level (old MBBA'ers will remember Ryoko Masaki, who was another Austin guy in the same type of mold though Steel has more pop).

Farewell, Gabriel, and good luck.

mad0die
Ex-GM

Re: What Happens In Vegas 1997.1- Steel moves on to Austin

Post by mad0die » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:50 pm

He was my backup plan with DM signing that Arab guy. Considering the early look at the draft, I'm not concerned giving up my pick.

recte44

Post by recte44 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 9:54 pm

It's a great pickup for you, Joel. And a super bargain, as I pointed out the timeline of our negotiations. It was more nostalgia for me to go after him, when really I need to commit to getting Randy Square into the lineup and leaving him there and also looking towards getting the talented trio of Donald Noboru, Reginald Harnois, and Phillipe LaRouche added to the mix within the next year.

Like the Ryoko reference? :hi5:

mad0die
Ex-GM

Post by mad0die » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:00 pm

I just remembered to re-up Ryoko's coach contract last sim. :)

recte44

Post by recte44 » Wed Sep 08, 2010 10:07 pm

mad0die wrote:I just remembered to re-up Ryoko's coach contract last sim. :)
I saw that, it sparked the comparison!

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Las Vegas Hustlers”