Sticking Points 2035.3: Kharlamov Opts In

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2035.3: Kharlamov Opts In

Post by aaronweiner » Wed May 23, 2018 6:41 am

When the Rockville Pikemen signed Valeri Kharlamov to a six-year deal worth over $100 million before the 2031 season, they envisioned several seasons like the one he just had, where he finished the year as perhaps the top second baseman in the BBA. Kharlamov will be paid handsomely in 2035, but a repeat of last season will definitely make it worth it.

"I'm excited to be back with Rockville for a fifth season," said Kharlamov. "While I know I'm not an everyday player anymore I was able to make a huge difference last year."

Kharlamov had a huge season for the Pikemen in 2034, posting a .311 batting average - second highest of his career - and won the JL Golden Bat at second base while playing solid defense in a platoon role. At 34 years old to start next season, Kharlamov isn't necessarily an everyday player, but the pivot man proved he can still shine in a part-time role.

"We're thrilled that Valeri will be back next year," said Pikemen manager Chet Rouse. "He's a real leader for our young guys."

The Pikemen initially believed they would expose Kharlamov and his $17 million salary to the expansion draft, but with the Pikemen projected for a $86 million payroll even with Kharlamov it is now believed that the second sacker will be protected in the draft having just come off a star quality season.

"We're obviously not going to discuss internal matters like that, but Valeri is the sort of player who can make a difference on the team and we can afford his salary," said Pikemen GM Aaron Weiner. "As a successful franchise with a lot of quality players we have to discuss all options."

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”