2059.10: Rummaging Bears - Relief Pitchers

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2059.10: Rummaging Bears - Relief Pitchers

Post by BaseClogger » Wed May 08, 2024 9:19 pm

3/18/2059

As they rummage a campsite some Bears find picnic baskets while others are shooed away.

Sure-Fire Locks
RP Jim Achbar, RP Richard Bullock, RP Bob Butler, RP Perry Wallace

Jim Achbar has 34 saves over the past two years as my de facto closer. He reached new heights of overperforming his ratings last season when he recorded a microscopic 1.58 ERA. Richard Bullock has the flexibility to make some starts but I’m pretty settled on letting him do his thing as a lefty long reliever. Bob Butler is my most talented reliever, only held back by his 1 stamina. I wouldn’t be surprised if he ends the season with the most saves. Perry Wallace is a lock because he has the best stuff on my staff and is another lefty.

Near Locks
RP Bryan Longstaff, RP Morris Chapa

Bryan Longstaff is a 35 year-old veteran who hasn’t been given the BBA chances he’s deserved. In fact, he didn’t play professional ball anywhere between 2054 and 2056. All that rest seemed to do him good as he’s been worth 1.2 WAR in just 104 innings since finally making the show in 2057. After burning thru his options as a mostly failed starting pitching prospect, a move to the bullpen seemed to breath new life into Morris Chapa. His three pitch mix always made him a possible relief candidate and his new ratings back that up. He’s out of options which really aids his cause.

Trying to Break-In
RP Abban Layar, RP Terence Harris, RP Chris Lacey

Layar and Harris are 30-something competent relievers who I’ve turned to for depth but I’ve never counted on going into Opening Day. With six guys listed above them and one of the starting pitching candidates likely to take a bullpen spot it becomes a numbers game for them. One will likely make the roster while the other hits waivers. I’ve finally made good on my diabolical scheme to reunite with Chris Lacey after trading him to Charlotte last offseason. Lacey was a rock solid setup guy for me from 2056-2057. Thankfully, he’s on a minor league contract so he can be the next man up from AAA.

Breaking in the Back Door
RP Jeff Wills, RP Luis Peña

Jeff Wills was the second guy I ever drafted in the Brewster and he’s been a loyal soldier in my farm system ever since. I’ve always liked his ratings but assumed he doesn’t have the stuff to survive the majors. Luis Pena, on the other hand, has already spent parts of four different seasons in the San Fernando bullpen. Throwing left-handed is his greatest asset considering he’s been essentially replacement-level during that time. Unlike Wills who is signed to a minor league contract, Pena will have to pass thru waivers if he doesn’t make the Bears’ bullpen.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: 2059.10: Rummaging Bears - Relief Pitchers

Post by recte44 » Thu May 09, 2024 3:31 pm

Link for Longstaff goes to someone else

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Re: 2059.10: Rummaging Bears - Relief Pitchers

Post by BaseClogger » Thu May 09, 2024 4:10 pm

recte44 wrote:
Thu May 09, 2024 3:31 pm
Link for Longstaff goes to someone else
Thanks, I always type those player IDs and confused a 7 and a 5.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “San Fernando Bears”