2059.06: Bears' Development Lab Follow-Up Part 2

GM: Kurt Imber

Moderator: BaseClogger

BaseClogger
BBA GM

2059.06: Bears' Development Lab Follow-Up Part 2

Post by BaseClogger » Sat May 04, 2024 10:41 pm

2/25/2059

Here is a link to my previous follow-up post about the San Fernando development lab. I forgot to replace my second wave of short training programs and potentially missed out on an additional cohort during the pre-season sim. It would be swell if another GM could confirm in a reply whether they had players who completed an entire 4-5 week training during the pre-season sim.

I'm pretty happy with 8 out of 10 successful results from this group.

Results

SP Omar Thind achieved outstanding results on improving his control. There's no noticable change in his ratings but hopefully he went from a low 3 to a high 3. I think the game underrates his overall potential a bit because a 7-5-5 starting pitcher looks pretty good.

SP Morgan Tomsett successfully improved his knucklecurve. My memory is that the pitch was a 5/10 at the end of the season and it's now listed as a 6/10 but don't quote me on that. He remains underdeveloped with huge potential but time is running out on the 27 year-old.

C Augusto Annis was successful improving his strength and conditioning. This was a great success because he improved from a fragile to normal injury proneness. That's big for a catcher!

2B Etugrul Inonu was successful in his training focused on plate discipline. Over the offseason his eye developed from 4/7 to 5/7. He made strides statistically last season and might just be a prospect again (albeit an older one).

CF Kamatari Kino completed his bat speed program with successful results, raising his power rating from 5/6 to 6/6. Alas, his outfield range lumped a point over the offseason and he's now certainly a corner outfielder.

CF Jim Sitton had poor results from his two-strike approach program. According to the game this will leave him more aggressive chasing pitches out of the zone while sapping his power and eye. Yikes! On the bright side, he was so underdeveloped before I don't even remember what his current ratings were. He's ticketed for short A again in 2059 to try and make up some developmental ground.

C Dale Olds had poor results in his baserunning fundamentals program and is now an even shittier base runner. Supposedly he's now more prone to injury, although his injury proneness rating remains normal. This is a potentially disastrous result for such an innocuous program so watch out.

3B Jose Perez was successful in improving his third base defense. I think he netted a point of turn double play rating. His overall rating at third also improved from 6 to 7. Hopefully this gets him close to league average defensively.

1B Michael Schultz had a successful baserunning fundamentals training, although his baserunning rating remains a 1 so not sure what it accomplished.

RF Tommy Harrison achieved outstanding results on his baserunning. I can't remember if his rating was already a 2. Hopefully there's something tangible in his 2059 results in that area of his game.

Final Additions

RF Tommy Harrison will train his defense because why not. For whatever reason, these shorter programs are now showing 4-5 weeks of length instead of 5-6 weeks.

23 year-old 1B Cristobal Cruz will work on his defense at first since he's getting close to the majors and looks like a hitter who should help against southpaw pitching.

After focusing on his baserunning earlier in the offseason 2B Takeichi Suzuki will now work on his defense for 4-5 weeks.

C Augusto Annis heads right back into the lab to work on his baserunning where his ratings are 1s across the board.

SS Kensaku Kato will enter the lab for the first time to train defense. He's already pretty strong in that regard but it would be amazing if his infield range bumped back up to 9.

I'll throw middling prospect 2B Yong-hun Kim into a defense training program since he's on the 40-man roster for a second season and on the cusp of the BBA.

2B Brock Ramsey is yet another pretty good fielder, pretty good contact hitting second base prospect. Like the others, he's a poor base runner so that will be his focus.

Prospect LF Roberto Delgado is a highly well-rounded player but I think he'll have a role on the Bears soon so I wanted him to train something; that something will be defense.

Delgado's direct competition is LF Keith Tims. Tims has an advantage with the bat but is a weaker defender, so he'll train his outfield defense.

Rounding out that group of second baseman I keep talking about is 2B Fernando Segura. Like the others, he seems to highlight my blind spot for base running ability so that's what he'll train.
San Fernando Bears GM since 2051

JRamirez
BBA GM

Re: 2059.06: Bears' Development Lab Follow-Up Part 2

Post by JRamirez » Sun May 05, 2024 10:45 am

I just started a guy in a short training session in the Sim that starts on the first day of spring training. He'll complete it because the game won't let you put players in a program that there's not enough time to complete.

Oh, the preseason sim. I will have to double check, but I think my pitcher Gary Powers completed a short training during the one preseason sim.
Cairo Pharaohs (GBC), 2058 offseason
Des Moines Kernels, 2058 Spring training II and onwards

JRamirez
BBA GM

Post by JRamirez » Sun May 05, 2024 10:50 am

It seems Gary Powers started a short program in the sim before preseason and finished during the preseason sim. I was able to stick someone else in that slot to train during spring training.
Cairo Pharaohs (GBC), 2058 offseason
Des Moines Kernels, 2058 Spring training II and onwards

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Sun May 05, 2024 11:04 am

I'm think results are purely a dice roll. Need more data to be sure. Thanks for the writeup!
ImageImageImageImageImage

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Sun May 05, 2024 11:25 am

Jwalk100 wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 11:04 am
I'm think results are purely a dice roll. Need more data to be sure. Thanks for the writeup!
I’m skewing young, easy programs, and trying to avoid my low intangible players so I’m expecting more successes. Whether that maximizes return clearly remains to be seen.

BaseClogger
BBA GM

Post by BaseClogger » Sun May 05, 2024 11:26 am

JRamirez wrote:
Sun May 05, 2024 10:45 am
I just started a guy in a short training session in the Sim that starts on the first day of spring training. He'll complete it because the game won't let you put players in a program that there's not enough time to complete.

Oh, the preseason sim. I will have to double check, but I think my pitcher Gary Powers completed a short training during the one preseason sim.
I’m finding it frustrating there isn’t much to have pitchers do for a short program. That’s why I’ve done so many hitters.

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun May 05, 2024 11:33 am

5 years from now every pitcher in the league is going to have 10 defense.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “San Fernando Bears”