Trebro
BBA GM

2057.06 Wardman Responds

Post by Trebro » Sat Nov 25, 2023 9:14 pm

A Response from Erwin Wardman
by Erwin Wardman, Yellow Springs Journal

November 1, 2056

[Expletive] it, Wardman.

I couldn't believe my eyes when I read the press release. It took me by so much surprise that I had to take a leave of absence while I consulted with lawyers on how best to approach such an unprecedented response from a supposed professional.

The Yellow Springs Nine, a supposed family friendly organization, allowing their number two guy (and I mean that literally) to take a personal jab at an esteemed journalist is just the sort of thing I've come to expect anymore. I'll take more about this later in another column. But let's start with that press release.

Only in GM Rob McMonigal's strange reality would a losing record be a cause for celebration. Yes, a nineteen game improvement is significant, but when you have hit rock bottom anything looks like a life preserver.

McMonigal may think winning 80 games and his prescious "all the minors were .500 or better means we have a winning culture" mantra belie the fact that it was his poor decisions that took a winning team and turned it into a laughing stock, almost from his first days here.

Whether it was trading away key players like Hernandez or Rodriguez for a hill of beans, refusing to pay up the salary cap for a top shortstop, a position McMonigal still hasn't been able to fill successfully, or making a boner of a selection in the first round. reaching for mediocre Jim Kantor in his first draft, his decisions have been so bad that it takes a paragraph long sentence just to hit the lowlights.

This, my friends, is who tells me to [unprintable] it?

We have been graced by Dong-po Thum and Dave Lee, neither of whom are likely to see another post season unless McMonigal trades them away. They've watched people like Jeremy Pickens go while being replaced by (checks notes) a Rule 5 infielder from single A.

We had talented players in Alejandro Morin and Reece Newsome, who went on to be key players for Vancouver and instead kept around BBA human punching bag Dave O'Reilly (who another team rightfully saw wasn't BBA material and sent him back to be a "star" at Indianapolis).

Look, I understand I'm not a Brewster General Manager, though so many of you in the comments think I'd be a great one. I'd never want that job. Writing for you is my dream. But even some loser sitting around playing simulation baseball can see these were all bad ideas, though apparently Bo Jordan can't?

Well, it's his losses. Literally, While attendance was up this year, I'll admit (facts are facts), it's still far lower than when Ron Collins was the General Manager. The Nine drew over 4 million fans for 15 years, including over 5 million in 2049. Now they've drawn under that 4 million number every year since McMonigal took over. You fans understand the difference and are still voting with your feet. The question is how much longer it will take Jordan to realize his mistake and cut his losses.

Some of you may be saying I'm wrong. That McMoingal has turned the corner and is turning the team around. The 19 win improvement is proof, goes this line of thinking. Well, the fact is there is something in baseball called the "two loss win." It's when a starting pitcher should be removed, but isn't because he wins his most recent game, only to go on to to lose the next two, because he's not really any good.

I think that's where we're at, my friends. McMonigal just "won" and is taking a victory lap against his many detractors, with myself leading his grudges list. But I am telling you right now, it's a two-loss win and 2057 will feature 90 or more losses. Again.

At that point, Mr. Jordan will have no choice but to see what I – and so many of you – already see.

And that, Mr. McMonigal, is when we'll truly see who is, in fact, doing things I can't print.

Ready when you are.
Rob McMonigal
Yellow Springs Nine Sep 2052 - ????

London Monarchs Aug 2052 - Sep 2052

Return to “Yellow Springs Nine”