Twenty Somethings?

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Twenty Somethings?

Post by RonCo » Sat May 20, 2017 12:37 pm

They say that Hall of Fame players are really no different than other “great” players, except that they arrive on the scene younger than the average player, then keep playing until they’ve pasted those amazing career numbers. As a rule, also, a 23-year-old playing in the majors is not that unusual. It’s a good age to come up, anyway. There are, for example, 43 hitters in the league who are currently exactly 23 years old, about half of those came up this year, 15 came up last year as 22-year-olds, several came up as 20-year-olds, but none stuck on their major league rosters.

Currently, however, there exist 42 BBA hitters who are 22 years old or younger. Three of those hitters, however, are in their third seasons of continuous service, which means they came up as 20-year-olds and have stuck. This raises eyebrows.

Who are these guys, and are they future Hall of Famers?

Here’s the list, in order of service time:

ImageJJ McQuade: (IF, Yellow Springs, 408 service days) – 7/7/6/4/8 Talents

Much has been made of JJ McQuade’s spark plug of a personality, but the fact is that the guy can play a little bit. The Nine drafted him #10 overall in 2028, and a year later he was on the opening day roster as a utility infielder, hitting an uninspiring-but-not-totally-embarrassing .253/.303/.339 as a 20-year-old. He raised all those numbers in a similar role in 2030, and is now splitting time with Earl Jackson, another youngster, at third base, as well as playing around the field. He’s a plus-plus defender at all positions, but with Lucas McNeill and Angel De Castillo around, it looks like third base would be the natural place for him. He’s on pace to drop about 2.4WAR this year, meaning the progression would be .1 > .9 > 2.4. He also just signed a 1-season extension for $2.9M to avoid an arbitration number that could possibly rise.

McQuade doesn’t really exude a HoF kind of a vibe, especially if he’s not getting 70-75% of the playing time available to him. But stranger things have happened, and he’s only 22.

ImageKade Cummins (LF, Long Beach, 406 service days) – 7/9/7/4/7 Talents

Cummins made a splash as the first overall pick in 2028. He raced through AA to AAA that season, then played 10 games at AAA in 2009 before coming to the Surfers. He posted 5.0 WAR that year, clubbing 34 homers. The league made some adjustments since then, and Cummins seems to have been slow to catch up to them, though it’s coming. His 1.9 WAR in 2039 was a step backward, but he’s dropping a .843 OPS on the league, which would be considered a huge success if that rookie season hadn’t been a .948. He’s a sure-handed, if not spectacular defender.

The jury is still out as to whether Cummins will be a true HoF candidate, but he’s the kind of player that the rule of longevity might have been made for. If he avoids injury, and maintains that above average bat for two decades, those career numbers could be amazing.

ImageJuan Sweetworld (CF, Las Vegas, 376 service days) – 8/7/6/4/9 Talents

Sweetworld is a first round pick in 2028 who showed up a year later and posted 3.7 WAR—proof you can get a great player at the end of the first round, even at #27. He’s one of the more electric center fielders in the game today, a guy with range that never quits. He’s a free swinger who’s hard to strike out (69 Ks in 427 at bats last season is solid), but who probably needs to learn the strike zone a little better (23 walks last season is not good enough). He can, of course, run. He's already stolen 52 bases on his career. After struggling a bit with the Sophomore Jinx, he’s currently hitting .307/.365/.585, and on pace to finish the season with something shy of 6 WAR.

At present, we call Sweetworld the most likely HoF candidate of the three, especially if he can improve his plate discipline just a little.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

bschr682
Ex-GM

Re: Twenty Somethings?

Post by bschr682 » Sat May 20, 2017 1:00 pm

All the more reason that I am disappointed you have yet to trade me McQuade...
GM Vancouver Mounties

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Sat May 20, 2017 9:11 pm

I'm certainly happy I stuck with Sweetworld. At one point I had resigned myself to trading him, one of those "glad I didn't do that" deals that we've all had.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 pm

Yeah, Cummins somehow lumped after his rookie season, so we'll see if he can regain that level of play.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”