We Got Wood - 42.64 - Ramirez Doesn't Vest. Will be Free Agent.

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

We Got Wood - 42.64 - Ramirez Doesn't Vest. Will be Free Agent.

Post by 7teen » Sun May 24, 2020 3:05 pm

It was kept under wraps all season, but it appears now that Jaime Ramirez is ready to speak out about the "mis-use" he felt he underwent during the 2042 season. Prior to the start of the Landis title series and just days away from free agency, Jaime Ramirez spoke out about the vesting option that did not get met this year during his season with Portland.

"It's obvious the team didn't play me in order to not pay me" Ramirez commented today while on a private golf course in his home country in Chile. Ramirez left Portland just hours after the season ended to head home for the winter. "350 plate appearances. I needed 350 plate appearances this season in order to get an automatic contract for next season and the team blatantly sat me out so I wouldn't get it. You can't tell me I'm not better than that 'other guy' the team split time with me with. It's a shame an organization would purposefully lose games rather than play its best players."

Ramirez is referencing the vesting option that was part of his contract signed back in 2038 with the Louisville Sluggers. His 2043 contract deal was dependent on Ramirez getting 350 plate appearances. If so, he'd receive $10.5 million for 2043 and also kick in a guaranteed $10.5 million for 2044. However, due to playing in just 99 games in 2042 and getting just 327 plate appearances, Ramirez will become a free agent this winter.

The season does appear a little sketchy on the surface, especially when you consider the fact Ramirez got 631 and 623 AT-BATS the last two seasons while playing in Portland. The 36th round pick in the expansion draft by the Lumberjacks was a solid contributor over his 3 seasons with the club, posting a 2.2 WAR in 2040 and a 0.5 WAR last season while playing top level defense at SS and 3B. This season, with the addition of Mendoza at 3B, Ramirez saw his time at SS split with Nikita Schipper who got 224 plate appearances this season. Schipper posted a -0.6 WAR this season.

When asked about Ramirez's use in 2042, Portland GM Chris Wilson commented "We have a Master Plan and we are sticking with that Master Plan. Ramirez's $10.5 million contract for 2 more years just isn't a part of that Master Plan. We didn't make that deal with him to start with. We just graciously helped the Sluggers organization by removing that salary from their payroll. Look at where they are now with out him and his contract! Hopefully that can be us in a few years."

Louisville, on the edge of appearing in another Landis series, declined comment about Ramirez's contract.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50