Morrie Critchley an introduction.

RebelArmy

Morrie Critchley an introduction.

Post by RebelArmy » Sat May 11, 2024 2:46 pm

Morrie Critchley GBC Journalist.

I was born in Brockton, Massachusetts. My parents were normal working people, Mom kept the house running and did a little part tlme secretary work. My Father was an engineer working at the car plant.

Mom looked after Pops like he was a king, Pops worshipped her like a queen they were made for each other, I could say Mom died when I was young but she didn't, I could say I argued with Pops over Shoeless Ioe I didn't, I built it they came but i didn't, the only thing I built was a hut for my girls to play in and nobody came to look at that apart from their friends.

Pops passed away when he was 84, Mom a couple years later she was 89 she always called my Pops her toyboy.

No my life was pretty normal apart from one thing, baseball Pops loved baseball, Mom also. They were baseball nuts, I grew up a baseball nut I have four daughters who love baseball, seven grandkids who love the game as well..

I grew up with a ball and glove in hand, we'd go watch the local ball club the Brockton Maulers, Pops played in the local bar league, I made the college level, went for a couple try outs but was never good enough to make the final cut.

However my love of the game and a journalist course in college carved out my career as a baseball journalist, jobs working for the Baghdad Kings and Tokyo Pearls and a couple of books as given my family a good life and helped us see the world.

I'd been writing for a couple of leagues in the states when in 2037 at the age of 40 the Baghdad Kings came calling, they wanted someone to report on their team.

The Baghdad Kings were well mediocre at best, but I had some of the best years of my life with them, I made good friends, great friends and my best friend Raúl Hernández one of the best ballplayers of all time, Mr Smooth as I call him because of his smooth swing. He would hit the ball and in your mind you would think thats an infield out, a second later and a fan would be clutching it in the bleachers

I moved onto the Tokyo Pearls in 2051 when the Kings went out of business, I loved Japan, Tokyo even more so, it was hard to leave but the GBC job couldn't be turned down more money, less hours and less deadlines it's perfect. Also the Pearls not only gave me a samurai sword as a mark of respect for the service I gave but also gave me the keys to the house that we had called home for the last few years, a class people the Pearls people.

So at the age of 62 I was asked to write for the GBC , it means more traveling but the kids are grown up, the wife will join me on some trips but in general will stay with her garden and the grandkids during the season.

Morrie will be writing about the GBC be it games, players, owners, GMs anything to do with the GBC. After a season he'll sit down with his wife and family and decide if he becomes a GM, only time will tell.

JRamirez
BBA GM

Re: Morrie Critchley an introduction.

Post by JRamirez » Sat May 11, 2024 3:11 pm

Oh, wow. Cool. I look forward to reading your coverage.
Cairo Pharaohs (GBC), 2058 offseason
Des Moines Kernels, 2058 Spring training II and onwards

RebelArmy

Post by RebelArmy » Sat May 11, 2024 3:26 pm

JRamirez wrote:
Sat May 11, 2024 3:11 pm
Oh, wow. Cool. I look forward to reading your coverage.
Thank you, already working on one about Opening Day.

Jim Leyritz
GBC GM

Post by Jim Leyritz » Sat May 18, 2024 9:05 pm

This sounds awesome

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Sat May 18, 2024 9:19 pm

awesome

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “GBC Features”