Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 40.204: "Hao Hang Named Top Player in Class A Provost League"

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:52 pm

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer

Chicago Sports Online

Chicago Black Sox outfield prospect Hao Hang has been named the best player in the Class A Provost League.

Hao Hang
Hang, 20, who played left field for the Grand Junction Gold Sox, won the Sixto Mazzola Batter Award in a runaway, garnering 31 of the 32 first place votes cast. He won with 443 total points, to 292 for runner-up Jesús Báez of the Aspen Surge (New Orleans).

“A richly deserved honor for Hao,” said Chicago Asst. GM Bill McGuffin. “He had an absolutely monster year for Grand Junction.”

Hang slashed .332/.381/.670 for the Gold Sox, with 37 home runs, 104 RBIs and 7.9 WAR.

He recently was named the Platinum Stick award winner for best hitting left fielder in the Provost League Hang also won three Player of the Week awards, one Player of the Month award, and was selected for the Provost All Star team.

Although the BBA Scouting Combine has suggested that Hang is ready for the major leagues now, the Black Sox have said they intend to give him more seasoning in the minors rather than rush his development.

The major question is whether he will go to AA Beloit or AAA Carolina next.

Hang said he isn’t worried about it.

“Wherever I go next, I’ll do the best I can and try to learn from my coaches and teammates,” he said. “I know there’s still a lot I need to master before I’m ready for the BBA”

Ricardo Torres
Hang wasn’t the only Gold Sox player on the ballot for the Mazzola award: right fielder Ricardo Torres finished 5th in the voting, with 188 points.

Torres, a 20-year-old left-hander, slashed .308/.332/.547 with 27 homers, 118 RBIs and 4.7 WAR. He was selected to the Provost league’s All Star team.

“We’re looking forward to watching Riccardo’s development, too,” McGuffin said. “He’ll start next season in Beloit, and we know he’ll do well there for us. We think Hao and Riccardo will play a lot of baseball in Black Sox Park in the years ahead.”

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”