With All-Star voting for the 2039 Midsummer Classic rolling out soon, here is a case for Boise Spud starting pitcher Pancho Germán
, in the midst of his best professional season, to make the Frick League team.
After being named college's Pitcher of the Year in 2035 (6-2, 2.16 ERA, 1.08 WHIP, 11.8 K/9), Germán was selected #2 overall by the Spuds in the 2035 Draft. After a successful short season
in Rookie Ball that year, Germán started 2036 in Double A Buffalo as a 20-year-old and held his own through seven starts. With promising early returns, Boise promoted Germán to Triple A Salt Lake City where he finished the 2036 campaign with 10-9 with 3.63 ERA. Germán would eventually make his BBA debut in 2037 at age 21 where he would hold his own for the last-place Spuds. With a promising, albeit small track record, Germán was expected to make a big jump in 2038, only to see him go 9-16 with 5.06 ERA. Thanks to stellar defense that earned Germán the 2038 Yogi Zimmer Diamond Glove at the pitcher position, the Mexican-born righty put up a decent WAR of 2.2. Heading into 2039, Boise was considering naming Germán the team's #1 starter before signing Egbert Behner
in free agency. Instead of being discouraged, Germán has pitched like an ace while Behner has slowly settled into Boise. For the year, through June 17th, Germán is 9-3 with an ERA of 3.40. Germán credits an improved defense behind him as well as keeping his HR/9 down to a career-low 0.8.
Let's take a look at where Germán currently ranks in Frick League leaderboards through June 17th:
Let's take a look at what the media and league is saying about Pancho Germán:
- "I do like Pancho Germán. He could really be a top two starter someday. At worst a really good number three." - 2038 BBA media guide
- "[Boise's] #2 starter, Pancho Germán, might be a lot better than he’s shown over the past two seasons." -2039 BBA media guide
- "Although [Germán] turned in a less-than-electric 2038, his skill ratings and stamina suggest better days ahead." -Vic Caleca, Huntsville GM
- "Germán is one of the brightest young stars for Boise." - Matt Rectenwald, Las Vegas GM
- "If, and it's a big if, Boise has post-season dreams, getting Germán to take a step-forward in this third season will be huge." - Will Bigby, lead baseball correspondent for Treasure Valley Sports
Last but not least, Germán's popularity has grown since his BBA debut, not only in Boise or in the United States, but also in his home country of Mexico and globally with spirit connoisseurs since the successful launch of TELIQUA
, Germán's own crafted blue-agave tequila. Germán has become an ambassador of the Brewster with his off-field endeavor and has definitely become a household name with his 2039 breakout.
Aside from an expected great season from David French, Germán's breakout campaign is the lone bright spot during Boise's 34-35 start. An All-Star vote would be a worthy reward, don't you think?