2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Announcements from the Governing Board found here
User avatar
Ted
General Manager
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 105 times

2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by Ted » Thu Mar 07, 2019 2:50 am

Below is the list of players who will earn you a comp pick if they are signed prior to the beginning of the season. Players who are eligible are ones who meet the WAR thresholds as below, and did not have a team option declined. Also, players who did not spend the entire season with one team do not warrant compensation.

Please. PLEASE if you have a player on this list, check to make sure they should be here. It's easy to mess this up, and fixing the draft once we put these picks in is harder than just getting it right now.

I will try to update this list as players are signed. (You admin folks can feel free to do so, too.) Others can help by reply to this post if they see a guy on it signed and we seem to be missing it. Thanks everyone.

Type A Batters: 3.2 WAR
Valeri Kharlamov - Las Vegas - signed
Mark Dempsey - Montreal - signed

Type B Batters: 1.6 WAR
Alfredo Martinez - Brooklyn - signed
Jorge Rodriguez - Yellow Springs - signed
Jayden Harsnett - Las Vegas - signed
Alfredo Salazar - Atlantic City - signed
Ignacio Marrero - Brooklyn - signed
Sean Smith - Charm City - signed
Carlos Garcia - Charm City - resigned, no pick

Type A Starting Pitchers: 4.5 WAR
Jimmy Greenwood - Calgary - signed
Mauro Flores - Brooklyn - signed
Hiroyuki Rin -Edmonton - signed

Type B Starting Pitchers: 3.1 WAR
Enrique Gomez - Rockville - signed

Type A Relievers: 1.5 WAR
Luis Ortega - Montreal - signed
Lee McHone - Long Beach - signed

Type B Relievers: 0.9 WAR
Steve Russell - Nashville - signed
Timofei Bakitski - Phoenix -signed
Miguel Macias - San Fernando - signed
Angel Amaya - Hawaii
Leonardo Gomez - Rockville - signed



So that's it. Potentially 19 players and 19 extra picks. Again, please check.


One last note, one of my many hobby horses is not liking comp picks. I do not intend to start a discussion here, but will be constructing a study to see who gets them and on what types of players. I'm bringing this up for advice on what you might think is worth knowing. My idea is simply to collect ten years of data on where the picks were going, and the type on contract the player was on prior to the pick being earned. What I'm not sure of is how to evaluate the team that got the pick. I think, I will look at the payroll/budget of the team the year they got the pick, and five years prior. I will also collect win/loss records in the years prior to when the earned the pick, and at some point afterwards. I could use help selecting those. PM me if you want to discuss it. I won't talk about it here. There's no point railing on the evils or praising the virtues of comp picks until we really know what they are doing.
Ted Schmidt
California Crusaders (2021-present)
Image

User avatar
Lane
PR Director/Historian
Posts: 4236
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:18 am
Location: Los Angeles
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by Lane » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:30 am

I believe Lee McHone should be on this list as a type A RP.
Stephen Lane
PR Director / Historian / Tech Support
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Image


Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes
2025 EBA Champions

User avatar
Ted
General Manager
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by Ted » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:16 pm

Lane wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:30 am
I believe Lee McHone should be on this list as a type A RP.
Added McHone. Updated list for signed players. 14 comp picks so far. One the GB people needs to remind me when the deadline is. The constitution is out of date.
Ted Schmidt
California Crusaders (2021-present)
Image

User avatar
handaspencer
General Manager
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by handaspencer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:10 pm

Ted wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:16 pm
Lane wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:30 am
I believe Lee McHone should be on this list as a type A RP.
Added McHone. Updated list for signed players. 14 comp picks so far. One the GB people needs to remind me when the deadline is. The constitution is out of date.
Mark Dempsey signed this sim

User avatar
bcslouck
General Manager
Posts: 1936
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:09 am
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by bcslouck » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 pm

I resigned Garcia.
GM Brandon Slouck
Charm City Jimmies: 2029 - present (707-753)
2032 Johnson League Champions
2032 Johnson League Atlantic Division Champions
3x Johnson League Wildcard Berth (2031, 2033, 2034)
2x Johnson League GM of the Year (2032, 2034)

User avatar
Ted
General Manager
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by Ted » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm

bcslouck wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 pm
I resigned Garcia.
Do you get comp picks for resigning your own FA? I honestly don't know. I know it sounds crazy to do so, but it makes no less sense than FA comp picks in the first place. Let's say Carlos Garcia had a twin. You say you don't get a comp pick for bringing back your own player. So instead you use that money and sign an equal, identical player, Garcia's twin. Then you get a comp pick? Clearly the hypothetical twin thing is unrealistic, but it does make a point. The team that lost a free agent often spends that money on a similar value player in FA. It just doesn't make sense at all to me. What exactly are we compensating for?
Ted Schmidt
California Crusaders (2021-present)
Image

User avatar
Lane
PR Director/Historian
Posts: 4236
Joined: Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:18 am
Location: Los Angeles
Has thanked: 27 times
Been thanked: 41 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by Lane » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm

Ted wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm
bcslouck wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 pm
I resigned Garcia.
Do you get comp picks for resigning your own FA? I honestly don't know. I know it sounds crazy to do so, but it makes no less sense than FA comp picks in the first place. Let's say Carlos Garcia had a twin. You say you don't get a comp pick for bringing back your own player. So instead you use that money and sign an equal, identical player, Garcia's twin. Then you get a comp pick? Clearly the hypothetical twin thing is unrealistic, but it does make a point. The team that lost a free agent often spends that money on a similar value player in FA. It just doesn't make sense at all to me. What exactly are we compensating for?
no compensation for re-signing a guy you lost. we're compensating for losing the guy to another team.
Stephen Lane
PR Director / Historian / Tech Support
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Image


Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes
2025 EBA Champions

User avatar
handaspencer
General Manager
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by handaspencer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 pm

Lane wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm
Ted wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm
bcslouck wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 pm
I resigned Garcia.
Do you get comp picks for resigning your own FA? I honestly don't know. I know it sounds crazy to do so, but it makes no less sense than FA comp picks in the first place. Let's say Carlos Garcia had a twin. You say you don't get a comp pick for bringing back your own player. So instead you use that money and sign an equal, identical player, Garcia's twin. Then you get a comp pick? Clearly the hypothetical twin thing is unrealistic, but it does make a point. The team that lost a free agent often spends that money on a similar value player in FA. It just doesn't make sense at all to me. What exactly are we compensating for?
no compensation for re-signing a guy you lost. we're compensating for losing the guy to another team.

Yep, you are being compensated for the loss. If no loss occurred your just getting an extra pick for no reason.

User avatar
Ted
General Manager
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by Ted » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 pm

handaspencer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 pm
Lane wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm
Ted wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm


Do you get comp picks for resigning your own FA? I honestly don't know. I know it sounds crazy to do so, but it makes no less sense than FA comp picks in the first place. Let's say Carlos Garcia had a twin. You say you don't get a comp pick for bringing back your own player. So instead you use that money and sign an equal, identical player, Garcia's twin. Then you get a comp pick? Clearly the hypothetical twin thing is unrealistic, but it does make a point. The team that lost a free agent often spends that money on a similar value player in FA. It just doesn't make sense at all to me. What exactly are we compensating for?
no compensation for re-signing a guy you lost. we're compensating for losing the guy to another team.

Yep, you are being compensated for the loss. If no loss occurred your just getting an extra pick for no reason.
Right, but if you take that money and sign another equally value player, you didn't LOSE anything. So how is that any different from resigning your own guy. It's logically inconsistent.
Ted Schmidt
California Crusaders (2021-present)
Image

User avatar
Ted
General Manager
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by Ted » Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 pm

also, I fixed the list for CCJ and Garcia. I'm just debating the sense of the whole thing.
Ted Schmidt
California Crusaders (2021-present)
Image

User avatar
handaspencer
General Manager
Posts: 162
Joined: Mon Oct 08, 2018 4:17 pm
Has thanked: 12 times
Been thanked: 21 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by handaspencer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:43 pm

Ted wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:54 pm
handaspencer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:53 pm
Lane wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm


no compensation for re-signing a guy you lost. we're compensating for losing the guy to another team.

Yep, you are being compensated for the loss. If no loss occurred your just getting an extra pick for no reason.
Right, but if you take that money and sign another equally value player, you didn't LOSE anything. So how is that any different from resigning your own guy. It's logically inconsistent.
Your point makes sense but I don't believe thats how the sytem works, I have never heard of compensation for resigning your own guy but I could be wrong.

User avatar
bcslouck
General Manager
Posts: 1936
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:09 am
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by bcslouck » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:50 am

Lane wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm
Ted wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:10 pm
bcslouck wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:14 pm
I resigned Garcia.
Do you get comp picks for resigning your own FA? I honestly don't know. I know it sounds crazy to do so, but it makes no less sense than FA comp picks in the first place. Let's say Carlos Garcia had a twin. You say you don't get a comp pick for bringing back your own player. So instead you use that money and sign an equal, identical player, Garcia's twin. Then you get a comp pick? Clearly the hypothetical twin thing is unrealistic, but it does make a point. The team that lost a free agent often spends that money on a similar value player in FA. It just doesn't make sense at all to me. What exactly are we compensating for?
no compensation for re-signing a guy you lost. we're compensating for losing the guy to another team.
I wasn't telling you to get comp. I was telling you to let you know that I resigned him and you can take him off the list.
GM Brandon Slouck
Charm City Jimmies: 2029 - present (707-753)
2032 Johnson League Champions
2032 Johnson League Atlantic Division Champions
3x Johnson League Wildcard Berth (2031, 2033, 2034)
2x Johnson League GM of the Year (2032, 2034)

User avatar
bcslouck
General Manager
Posts: 1936
Joined: Sun Oct 02, 2016 10:09 am
Location: Glen Burnie, MD
Has thanked: 52 times
Been thanked: 46 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by bcslouck » Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 am

Probably should of clarified that but figured it was obvious.
GM Brandon Slouck
Charm City Jimmies: 2029 - present (707-753)
2032 Johnson League Champions
2032 Johnson League Atlantic Division Champions
3x Johnson League Wildcard Berth (2031, 2033, 2034)
2x Johnson League GM of the Year (2032, 2034)

User avatar
RonCo
League Director
Posts: 10692
Joined: Sat Nov 14, 2015 10:48 pm
Has thanked: 281 times
Been thanked: 128 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by RonCo » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:34 am

Lane wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:41 pm
no compensation for re-signing a guy you lost. we're compensating for losing the guy to another team.
Yep. As soon as you stop seeing compensation picks as rules put in for competitive balance and as only rules bargained in order to maintain owners' control of players, the easier it is to understand the dynamic.

In the case of a team signing their own player, the advantage that the team gets is that they can technically afford to offer slightly more than other teams. I know this is going to seem like slightly twisted logic, but it's true. In the MLB teams actually lose draft picks for signing other teams' players (which is something we could do, too, though it's an administrative hassle), but even if that's not the case (like in the BBA), signing a player costs you money and gives your competitor a value. So in reality, to maximize your benefit in signing a BBA FA you want to sign the guy for slightly less than the original team could--otherwise, based on the logic Ted's used above, you're improving that team more than you're improving your team.

That dynamic is a power-game that does either one of two things:

1) Drives the player to sign with the original team (keeps the owner in charge of the player)
2) Improves the losing team more than any other team (grows the owner's property value)

This is the purpose of compensation picks. It's a tool in a real GM's tool box, and it's one that "all" real GMs have only recently gotten adroit at really using. In the past it was only the GMs who saw the whole picture and were working to squeeze value everywhere. But those days of sleeping on the idea of comp picks are pretty much over.

-----

So, comp picks are not some devious thing originally designed as competitive balance that is being abused. Comp picks are about owners/GMs maintaining control over players and leveraging the situation so that these owners/GMs come out ahead when the player leaves. In real life, owners would not give up the comp pick system without the players giving up something in return.
Yellow Springs Nine
Playoff Regular, Landis Averse

User avatar
Ted
General Manager
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by Ted » Fri Mar 15, 2019 11:41 am

bcslouck wrote:
Fri Mar 15, 2019 6:51 am
Probably should of clarified that but figured it was obvious.
I understood this, and changed the notes to reflect it. Was just arguing about the sense of it.
Ted Schmidt
California Crusaders (2021-present)
Image

User avatar
Ted
General Manager
Posts: 4725
Joined: Thu Jun 04, 2015 2:50 pm
Has thanked: 143 times
Been thanked: 105 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by Ted » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:14 am

Updated and appears complete. All eligible players except Carlos Garcia (resigned with CCJ) and Angel Amaya (seems to have disappeared?) netted comp picks for their prior teams.

Regarding Amaya, I don't see him as signed. And he's not in the FA pool. And his HTML player card does not say he's retired. What gives?
Ted Schmidt
California Crusaders (2021-present)
Image

User avatar
usnspecialist
League Advisor
Posts: 2890
Joined: Wed Jul 05, 2017 9:39 am
Location: Manama, Bahrain
Has thanked: 60 times
Been thanked: 44 times

Re: 2037-2038 Compensation Pick Eligible Players

Post by usnspecialist » Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:17 am

Ted wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:14 am
Updated and appears complete. All eligible players except Carlos Garcia (resigned with CCJ) and Angel Amaya (seems to have disappeared?) netted comp picks for their prior teams.

Regarding Amaya, I don't see him as signed. And he's not in the FA pool. And his HTML player card does not say he's retired. What gives?
I noticed this when I was doing the active leaderboards. If a guy disappears he is usually in the UMEBA. For some reason that pulls them out of the BBA pool.
Randy Weigand
Havana Sugar Kings/San Fernando Bears: 2032-
453-357

Landis Champion- 2034
Johnson Champion- 2034
Frick Champion- 2036, 2037
Johnson League Southern- 2034
Frick League Pacific- 2037
Wild Card- 2033, 2035, 2036

Image

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Announcements”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest