Morning Wood - 59.34 - Kin Out. Beals In.

GM: Chris Wilson

Moderator: 7teen

7teen
BBA GM

Morning Wood - 59.34 - Kin Out. Beals In.

Post by 7teen » Sat May 25, 2024 8:56 am

Portland manager Mons Raider isn't one for rocking the boat. When things are going well, you don't mess with it. But there comes a time in which you have to do what you think is right and make an adjustment to see if it might help both the team and the players involved. And that's the decision Raider has made for the Lumberjacks' upcoming week.

"It's not a permanent move" commented Raider, "but something we want to look at. In our games this week, we're going to move Eng-hee Kin to the bullpen and give Bill Beals a few starts. It's a tough decision. Especially when our rotation ranks 2nd in the Frick League and our bullpen sits atop the League, but Kin is struggling some and Beals has done well in the bullpen roll so we just want to see if a short switch can help Kin get on-track."

"I'm not happy with the decision but I understand it" commented Kin on the switch. Kin is currently 3-3 on the season in 8 starts but sports a 7.78 earned run average and a 1.84 WHIP in 37.0 innings. "I mean, sure, I'd love to say I'm keeping up with the rest of the staff but clearly right now I'm the weak link. Every time I put together a good start, I seem to take a step or two back with the next couple. Hopefully I can find a groove out in the bullpen, get things straightened out, and return to the rotation soon."

Beals, if you recall, was a Rule 5 pickup by the Lumberjacks this off-season who has performed well out of the Lumberjacks pen. In 11 relief appearances, he's gone 2-0 with a save and a 3.79 ERA in 17 innings pitched. His 1.68 WHIP thanks to 11 walks is concerning, but Raider wants to see what he can do with a start or two under his belt. The start will be Beals first of his career. The 24 year old is expected to start Tuesday's home tilt against Omaha.

"If he struggles" added Raider, "then it's an easy switch back. Both guys were open to the idea. Not to mention, we need to see who else may be able to get us some starts down the road. This is a long season. Injuries and things are bound to hit at some point and someone will be called on to fill the void. This gives us a look at Beals as a possible candidate."
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50