Sticking Points 2048.2: Sizemore Acquired For Five Players

GM: Jim Slade

Moderator: JimSlade

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Sticking Points 2048.2: Sizemore Acquired For Five Players

Post by aaronweiner » Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:13 pm

Right after the Brewster Series concluded, Rockville traded reserve outfielder Brady Greer and four prospects to the El Paso Chilis for the 2044 #1 overall pick, Gerald Sizemore.

Rockville traded top pitching prospect Kelyn Lomond and three other prospects for the right to try to restart Sizemore's seemingly stalled career.

"We don't know what the deal is with Gerald, but we do know that he's not hurt, he's still got amazing offspeed stuff and he's still just 25 years old," said Rockville GM Aaron Weiner. "Maybe he can turn it around with us."

Gerald Sizemore's primary draw in the 2044 BBA draft was his maturity and development. A nearly fully developed starter, Sizemore was expected to jump into the major league rotation quickly and with some flair. In his rookie season, 2045, Sizemore went 9-13 for a 109-loss El Paso team, and finished third in the Joe Gillstrom Award voting for best rookie, which was exactly what they thought they had drafted. But over the next two seasons, Sizemore was as underwhelming as his team was, posting increasingly worse numbers.

Sizemore blames part of his struggles on pitching in El Paso, one of the league's premier offensive parks, despite having far worse numbers on the road (7.21 ERA on the road vs. 5.96 at home).

"Obviously pitching in El Paso is hard - ask anyone who's tried it," said Sizemore. "I mean, other than Phil (Cole, El Paso's ace), nobody could really get it together last year, and so it's at least a blessing to be out of that situation and into a better one in Rockville."

Sizemore is not only moving from the worst team in the BBA to a playoff team, but from the worst defense in the BBA to a top-half team defensively last year (which would look even better if you remove Matthew Reilly's time in the outfield from the equation). In addition, Rockville's park is one of the harder parks to hit a home run, which should help Sizemore's 40 homers in 177 innings come down to a more manageable level.

"It also won't hurt that I don't have to pitch against Rockville's hitters anymore," said Sizemore. "I'm excited at the opportunity and I'm honored by the faith the team showed in me."

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Re: Sticking Points 2048.2: Sizemore Acquired For Five Players

Post by lordtoffee » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:01 pm

Like the move Aaron and your though process.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Mon Aug 09, 2021 9:59 pm

Hope Sizemore finally fulfils his promise
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sat Aug 14, 2021 9:31 am

Wow! Great move. Kids got too much talent….on of those “change of scenery” might do him some good.

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Post by chicoruiz » Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:03 am

Just reading this, a few days late… Hope Sizemore works out for you. He’s certainly got a bucket of talent, but given his stats for the past couple of years, when the opportunity arose to replenish my farm system a bit, I had to go for it.

Won’t be able to judge this deal for a few seasons yet. Hopefully a win for both of us.
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

aaronweiner
BBA GM

Post by aaronweiner » Fri Aug 20, 2021 2:47 pm

chicoruiz wrote:
Fri Aug 20, 2021 11:03 am
Just reading this, a few days late… Hope Sizemore works out for you. He’s certainly got a bucket of talent, but given his stats for the past couple of years, when the opportunity arose to replenish my farm system a bit, I had to go for it.

Won’t be able to judge this deal for a few seasons yet. Hopefully a win for both of us.
This deal works for you whether the prospects pan out or not, which is why it's good. It works better if they do.

But Sizemore was on the wrong schedule for your team, he wasn't playing well, you were going to end up paying him, and you needed more of a prospect base. Which is exactly how I reasoned it through when I offered this one. I think the only way this could have gone "wrong" is if you got better prospects for him.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rockville Pikemen”