Sox Scoops 45.014: AAA Team Names Promising Relief Prospect as Pitcher of the Year

GM: Renato Umali

Moderator: R.Umali

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Sox Scoops 45.014: AAA Team Names Promising Relief Prospect as Pitcher of the Year

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:05 am

By Rick Mariotti
Minor Leagues Beat Writer
Chicago Sports Online

The Carolina Flight on Friday named relief pitching prospect Jorge Rivera as its Pitcher of the Year for 2044. Carolina is the AAA affiliate of the Chicago Black Sox.

Jorge Rivera
Although Rivera spent part of the season with the major league club, he spent the bulk of his time with Carolina. He posted a 3-3 record with 1 save and a 2.27 ERA from a setup role.

“He was a guy we counted on to come in late and put out fires and get us into the late innings,” said pitching coach Francisco Nava. “That doesn’t always show up in a guy’s stat line, but Jorge was someone we counted on.”

Chicago scouts are high on Rivera and believe he’ll be able to make similar contributions to the big-league club. They rate his overall potential at 50/60 in his most recent scouting report, with impressive skill ratings to go along with it.

Scouts rate his stuff at 9/9; his pitch movement at 7/8; and his control at 7/7. Although Rivera has a 3-pitch repertoire, only two are significant – an 8/8 fastball and 9/9 slider. He also throws a weak (2/2) changeup.

“His explosive stuff has scouts dreaming,” says his most recent scouting report. “Rivera will likely be suited for setup or long relief, and maybe pick up a few save opportunities.”

Rivera joined the Sox organization as 2nd Round Supplemental pick in the 2042 draft, and has been steadily working his way through the system ever since.

Frank H. Pabodie, Chicago’s director of scouting, said there’s no question Rivera will be back in the majors this coming season.

“He got his feet wet a little in 2044, but we think he’s better prepared now to come in and make a meaningful contribution to our bullpen,” Pabodie said.

Rivera said he was glad to hear that.

“I’ve gotta admit, I don’t want to be in the minors anymore,” Rivera said. “I’m ready for the bright lights of Sox Park. Bring it on!”

RichY
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 45.014: AAA Team Names Promising Relief Prospect as Pitcher of the Year

Post by RichY » Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:37 pm

Jay Mariotti has a brother? Maybe he's the cool one like Rick Bayless is to Skip Bayless.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Re: Sox Scoops 45.014: AAA Team Names Promising Relief Prospect as Pitcher of the Year

Post by HoosierVic » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:42 pm

Given that it’s 2045, I was figuring son ... or grandson.

I named the Black Sox beat writer Mike Talley, after the Tribune sports columnist Rick Talley. He’s definitely a grandson ...

DugoutDesperado
Ex-GM

Post by DugoutDesperado » Sun Nov 22, 2020 9:42 am

The Chicago pitching staff is looking pretty formidable already from where Jacksonville sits (unfortunately it is row right behind Bob Uecker sits - 1986 Miller Lite commercial for those of you too young to know what I am talking about :) ). Will be interesting to see how the new kid fits into to fray.

RichY
Ex-GM

Post by RichY » Sun Nov 22, 2020 5:40 pm

HoosierVic wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:42 pm
Given that it’s 2045, I was figuring son ... or grandson.

I named the Black Sox beat writer Mike Talley, after the Tribune sports columnist Rick Talley. He’s definitely a grandson ...
Yeah the fact that it's 2045 is one thing I have to keep reminding myself of when thinking about that stuff.
El Paso Chili's GM 2046-
Riyadh Red Crescents GM 2046
Mumbai Metro Stars GM 2045, Won United Cup

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Chicago Black Sox”