Question About UMEBA Contracts

ca13
Ex-GM

Question About UMEBA Contracts

Post by ca13 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 5:40 pm

So, I signed Jorge Rodriguez to a 2 year deal during last season. This year would have been the final, team option year. Prior to the season, next year would have been an arb season, the first of 3, which I intended to decline. Now, he has an auto year at this years salary, then 3 years of arb.

My understanding is that the arb seasons are because UMEBA service time is separate from BBA service time. But I'm confused about the gaining of an auto salary year sandwiched in between his contract an the arb that just showed up party way through this year.

Did he lose super 2 status because I haven't been playing him? If I waive him do I get out of that year? What would have happened if I had declined his TO? Would have have been changed to auto sal and still on my team?

This just seems really weird and I know its the service time thing. Just trying to figure out how it works so I can handle moldy oldy vet contracts in the future.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Question About UMEBA Contracts

Post by jleddy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:42 pm

If I waive him do I get out of that year? Yes. If you don't want to retain him and pay his "auto-contract" in 2044, release him before arbitration hearings.

What would have happened if I had declined his TO? Would have have been changed to auto sal and still on my team? No, he still would have had auto-renew (see below)

Players with less than three years service time have their contracts auto-renewed. This is typically league minimum for normal (ie BBA/MLB) rookie contracts, then as we know, Year 3-6 switch to salary arbitration. But because UMEBA financials as "messed" up due to service time resetting and having arbitration turned on even for these veterans that come from the BBA who are signed to significant, above-league-minimum contracts, they get the auto-renew. Additionally, UMEBA players have artificially high arbitration numbers because they signed major league contracts with no (UMEBA) service time.

Very wonky.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

ca13
Ex-GM

Post by ca13 » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:44 pm

But why did he suddenly gain an auto year he didn't have before the season started? He was pretty good last year, so was he super 2? And then losing that status because I didn't play him this year put the auto year back in?

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:56 pm

Super Two would tack on an additional year of arb at the end, so I don't think that's it. I'm guessing the auto-renew for non-arbitration instances (for Beirut, that looks like Rodriguez and Omoruyi) pop up only in a year in advance. Based on this, I'm willing to bet Brett Compton's 2045 contract with show as auto-renew next year since he'll have less than three years of service time.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “GBC Chatter”