Makeover Monday #7 - UMEBA Style - Istanbul

Beat articles, power rankings, statistical analysis, etc. goes here.
CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Makeover Monday #7 - UMEBA Style - Istanbul

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sat May 23, 2020 3:35 pm

Welcome to week 7 of Makeover Mondays. Where I seem now to be turning this into a daily feature like Ron's BBAT podcast. For this makeover, since Istanbul just won their 2nd UMEBA title, I thought I'd give some love to my roots, and the UMEBA. This was something that Recte asked for a while back so I had it sitting around, and I thought I'd share in celebration of their second consecutive UMEBA title.

Founded in 2037 with the rest of the UMEBA, This team is has now appeared in two consecutive UMEBA championships (2041 & 2042) winning both. They now sit tied with Jerusalem for most UMEBA titles. (Lets go Ben, don't let Brett & me down :)). However, it wasn't always these easy for the franchise, which struggled early on in its first 4 seasons, never finishing higher than third in any one of them. Only once getting over 60 wins in that span. But in the last two seasons, the franchise has really come into its own winning back to back titles. You know what's still lagging behind? You guessed it their look!

Let’s take a look at the old one.

Initially this was the logo chosen for the team. Hmmm OK, I get it, I think. The original owner went into great detail on how he decided on a name for the team. But the logo / uniform just seem to be an afterthought. I think the word Bosphorus has baseballs in the spaces of the O's, & Ps of the logo. If the team was named for the famous straight in the area, why is there a mountain and no bridge? This looks like a Ski Lodge promotional logo. The Istanbul word mark looks like a 80s metal band font, and not representative of the region.

But then somehow it morphed into this...OK, now we have a bridge in the logo, but everything else seems to be a hot mess. Very blurry to start. Are those waves or floaty blue baseballs pretending to be waves in the foreground? There is no wordmark what-so-ever letting the fan know who or what this team is. Its hard to say it got worse, but this is definitely a step backwards.
Image For those of you playing along at home, I'll Explain the rules again...

The Makeover had to meet these 3 criteria.
  • First, incorporate something into the new logo that has a baseball theme.
  • Second, use the teams existing color / uniform palette w/in the new look when at all possible.
  • Third, try to maintain a connection to the team’s history.

My design style is pretty simple. If the logo looks good in black and white, you have a good logo. Second, I’m a big believer in less is more when it comes to colors for unis and logos. Some of my favorite sports logos have this look. (I’ll leave my two fav sports teams off) - <wink>. If you look at the Raiders, Packers, and Colts in the NFL, each has two colors or 3 colors in their primary designs. The Yankees, Dodgers, and yes, even the Red Menace themselves, the St. Louis Cardinals. All have what I consider a classic logos / color scheme. I could go on, but just note, I am a card-carrying member of Uni-Watch 😉 and could talk about this for hours.

Any-who, with-out further ado… your 2042 UMEBA Champs the Istanbul Bosphorus

With the Makeover Monday version of the Bosphorus, I total disregarded my rules and started over. My feature, my rules ;).

The new logo now incorporates the Bosphorus straight and the city of Istanbul's skyline in the logo. The wordmark now has a middle eastern feel to it. The entire logo now sites on top of a home plate, so now the viewer can determine that this is a baseball logo, and not one for a middle eastern ski-resort.

Also check out their commemorative patch for next years team found over in the UMEBA Dream Bracket post

Now on to their Hats & Uniforms

Hats: -- They had one hat in game used for both home and away. A tri-color hat, with Light Blue sides, White Brim, and Green bill, with the ski-lodge logo on the bill on the hat.

Old Hat:

New:

Their updated home/road hat now red and white. The primary colors of the Turkish flag. The logo is the Istanbul "I" with the crescent moon from their flag with a baseball sitting in the crescent moon.

Image Image

Uniforms: - The Bosphorus had the one uniform in game, used for both home and away.

Old Home / Away :

Looking at the current uniforms, pretty straight forward with Istanbul in the 80s heavy metal band font across the chest, a solid white uniform, full 3/4 green sleeves & collar. Throw in a V-neck style piping around the collar in team colors of green and blue, and your done. Other than the font, not a bad design.

New Home:

Changed the look to be more inline with the Turkish colors of Red & White. They now have off-white home uniforms with a red undershirt & collar. They have the teams "I" with the Turkish flag-moon-baseball on the chest. On the left sleeve is the teams updated logo, and on the right sleeve is the Turkish flag. The only team in the entire Brewster universe to sport this feature. A very proud people.

New Away Uni:

I TOLD YOU THEY'D BE BACK!!! Istanbul's new away uniforms are power blue, with a red undershirt & color. Thin red piping along the sleeves and jersey. The teams name is spelled out across the chest in the new team font, outlined in white. On the left sleeve is the teams redesigned logo, and on the right, the same logo that is on the new hat now. I know "Power Blue" isn't a official Turkish color - but hey - my feature my rules. :)

I now return you to your previously scheduled broadcast....or the the Landis Playoffs!

Hats will be available soon in the BBA Shop

Enjoy!

Up Next Seattle! I promise!!!
Last edited by CTBrewCrew on Sat May 23, 2020 11:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Re: Makeover Monday - #7 UMEBA Style - Istanbul

Post by jleddy » Sat May 23, 2020 3:43 pm

That logo incorporating the crescent moon is fantastic. Blue/green is my favorite uni combo but this update is strong.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sat May 23, 2020 4:10 pm

The same base concept could be adjusted to retain the blue/green combo. I admit I like the little flare of red in the crescent moon.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Sat May 23, 2020 4:16 pm

Very nice job! Love it!
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Post by Jwalk100 » Sat May 23, 2020 4:21 pm

I liked the old uni but the new unis have that color that pops.

I like it.

Again, great job!
ImageImageImageImageImage

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Sat May 23, 2020 9:38 pm

@jcrmoon42 what say you?

Clayman
Ex-GM

Re: Makeover Monday #7 - UMEBA Style - Istanbul

Post by Clayman » Sun May 24, 2020 12:03 am

Personally think the logo and unis are better specially the logos, no disrespect as each to their own taste but the first reminds me of a holiday resort logo and I've never liked shiney logos.
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2051 75-87
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2049 72-81
Valencia Stars 2045-2047 185-301
Beirut Cedars 2044 90-72
Athens Fighting Centaurs 2042-2043 112-118
Cairo Chariot Archers BC 2041 8-5

jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Post by jcrmoon42 » Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 am

recte44 wrote:
Sat May 23, 2020 9:38 pm
@jcrmoon42 what say you?
I'm all about it! Great work. I wasn't sure what the history of the logo was and knowing how I originally felt about the Long Beach logo changes, I didn't want to suggest a change this early in my tenure. However, I am tickled pink that changes will be made!

Let's do it!

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sun May 24, 2020 12:38 am

jcrmoon42 wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:36 am
Let's do it!
@jcrmoon42 ... Just submit them as part of the off-season PPT process. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Sun May 24, 2020 10:47 am

jcrmoon42 wrote:
recte44 wrote:
@jcrmoon42 what say you?
I'm all about it! Great work. I wasn't sure what the history of the logo was and knowing how I originally felt about the Long Beach logo changes, I didn't want to suggest a change this early in my tenure. However, I am tickled pink that changes will be made!

Let's do it!
That drunken surfer has disappeared from existence, never to be found again!
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: Makeover Monday #7 - UMEBA Style - Istanbul

Post by CTBrewCrew » Sun May 24, 2020 11:35 am

Ill create all the necessary logo sIze files for you matt - ill zip up and share via slack

jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Post by jcrmoon42 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:39 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 12:38 am
jcrmoon42 wrote:
Let's do it!
@jcrmoon42 ... Just submit them as part of the off-season PPT process. :)
Hmmm...I was thinking from the post that this was a change requested by the league. It has never been my practice to use PP on things that are essentially superficial like logos and uniforms, but I will have to give it some thought. Not sure what I have by way of PP anyhow.

jcrmoon42
Ex-GM

Post by jcrmoon42 » Sun May 24, 2020 7:41 pm

7teen wrote:
Sun May 24, 2020 10:47 am
jcrmoon42 wrote:
recte44 wrote:
@jcrmoon42 what say you?

Let's do it!
That drunken surfer has disappeared from existence, never to be found again!
Oh, not the drunk logo. That was just dumb. I made the one before that using MS Paint or something and have always been partial to it. No telling if it even exists anywhere anymore.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Features”