Best Pitch to Add for a SP Conversion... (Asking for a friend)

League-related polls only (use OT Forum for OT polls).

Best Pitches in OOTP (Pick 2)

Fastball
15%
Cut Fastball
15%
Curveball
No votes
Slider
4%
Sinker
23%
Forkball
4%
Change
4%
Circle Change
15%
Screwball
No votes
Knuckleball
12%
Knuckle Curves
8%

Total votes: 26

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Best Pitch to Add for a SP Conversion... (Asking for a friend)

Post by Spiccoli » Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:43 pm

I've read a ton about pitch types in OOTP and there's one consistent theme.... Everyone has different opinions on the best pitches. Read three separate articles and you'll get three separate opinions. Which is great in reality. It would suck if the game was so black/white that certain pitches were obviously OP compared to others.

I have to remember that OOTP isn't "Real" baseball, meaning that things I think of as critical from my playing days don't always translate to OOTP. For me Movement is the biggie. Real life movement means lot's of action pitches, even a fastball that may crazy late movement. But OOTP "Movement" pretty much just means the ability to prevent home runs (at least I think that's what it means).

Anyway, there's lot's of guys here with ton's of experience and I'd love to hear what y'all think are the best pitches in the game. And more importantly why in the confines of the OOTP game engine.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Re: Best Pitch to Add for a SP Conversion... (Asking for a friend)

Post by shoeless.db » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:20 pm

I'm going to go full Ron on this one, but I think the answer is, it depends. I think it all comes down to what two pitches the guy already has. That third pitch needs to compliment the other two. It's that compliment that varies depending on what you're looking for.
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Thu Jan 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Isnt the answer always knuckleball?

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Jan 16, 2020 6:01 pm

I tend to like cutters and forkballs, though I wouldn't argue against any of them...except, actually, a knuckle ball. I tend to think of the knuckler as an elite pitch, meaning that if a guy has an elite one, it's great...but a half-assed one worries me. If I had two others it would be sinker/knucklecurve.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:04 pm

I would do cutter or sinker on most pitchers. It would have to be a really weird situation for me to so anything else. I don't have a single SP conversion under my belt though so.......

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:30 pm

From what I've seen, the sinker and cutter seem to come through the best in terms of potential and actual. I don't think I've done a SP conversion either so I don't really know. I'd assume a forkball and splitter would be decent too.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

Rubaboo
BBA GM

Post by Rubaboo » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:17 am

I thought Stever wrote something about this awhile back. Might be good to see if you could dig that up.

For me personally, I always try for ground balls so I would lean towards a sinker, at least in a hypothetical world where I've done one of these before...
Fred Holmes
General Manager
Mexico City Aztecs - BBA

BBA Champs - 2052
JL Champs - 2027, 2052
JL MW Champs - 2022, 2023, 2024, 2027
JL Sun Belt Champs - 2035, 2036, 2038
JL Frontier Champs - 2051, 2052
JL Manager of the Year - 2023, 2024, 2026, 2052

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:17 am

Well... I was wondering more than just about the best pitch for a conversion.

But the best pitches in general and why.

Does the game engine make it harder on hitters if pitches are different in velocity and movement? Or does the pitch ratings trump everything?

Lol... sounds like a fun idea for a research project.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 am

I'm with Fred on the sinkers for ground balls/movement. AFAIK, cutters help reduce negative split against opposite handed batters, so that can be very helpful with an SP convert.

As others have said, it does depend on the other 2 pitches and current stuff/movement/velocity ratings.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:33 pm

Spiccoli wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:43 pm
I've read a ton about pitch types in OOTP and there's one consistent theme.... Everyone has different opinions on the best pitches. Read three separate articles and you'll get three separate opinions. Which is great in reality. It would suck if the game was so black/white that certain pitches were obviously OP compared to others.

I have to remember that OOTP isn't "Real" baseball, meaning that things I think of as critical from my playing days don't always translate to OOTP. For me Movement is the biggie. Real life movement means lot's of action pitches, even a fastball that may crazy late movement. But OOTP "Movement" pretty much just means the ability to prevent home runs (at least I think that's what it means).

Anyway, there's lot's of guys here with ton's of experience and I'd love to hear what y'all think are the best pitches in the game. And more importantly why in the confines of the OOTP game engine.
Did you play professionally?

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:10 pm

CTBrewCrew wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:33 pm
Spiccoli wrote:

1 year at SDSU... flamed out

Catcher
Ability - good enough
Arm - 1....lol, never could make that throw to 2B reliably.

Also played outfield... decent range, terrible arm

And San Diego was a bit of a culture shock for a Colorado kid... Wasn’t my best moment.

Played a ton in my 20’s for fun though. Been really thinking of joining an adult league here in town. Been getting the itch to play.

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Post by CTBrewCrew » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:13 pm

Cool - they’ve got a nutmeg baseball league here is CT - 18yo - ??? As long as ur ante playing college ball you can play. Do it !

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:22 pm

Spiccoli wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:10 pm
CTBrewCrew wrote:
Spiccoli wrote:

Catcher
Ability - good enough

And San Diego was a bit of a culture shock for a Colorado kid... Wasn’t my best moment.

Played a ton in my 20’s for fun though. Been really thinking of joining an adult league here in town. Been getting the itch to play.
If you can physically still do it, you should. I finally had to give it up and it really blows not being able to play ball anymore.
GM Vancouver Mounties

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Fri Jan 17, 2020 9:02 pm

bschr682 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:22 pm
Spiccoli wrote:
CTBrewCrew wrote:

Catcher
Ability - good enough

If you can physically still do it, you should. I finally had to give it up and it really blows not being able to play ball anymore.
I’m 48 and recently lost around 60 lbs after I let myself go when I had twins. Been running long distances and lift like a maniac, but have trouble sprinting full speed due to an old hamstring injury. Been working to rehab it like crazy and I might be getting close. Guess my injury rating is currently “wrecked”... lol. Should have took better care of my body when I was younger. Makes for a nice before/after photo though.

Can still swing the bat though... maybe I could just play catcher and run bases half speed.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:17 pm

bschr682 wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:22 pm
Spiccoli wrote:
CTBrewCrew wrote:

Catcher
Ability - good enough

You should umpire!
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:16 am

I’m going on 35 now but both my elbows are shot. One from simply pitching too much and the other from a rather severe injury. I can still hit the crap out of the ball but I can’t make more than 2-3 warm up tossed before I feel it tightening and then the pain sets in. So it was get tommy John essentially which as an amateur seems stupid or stop throwing.

I would totally umpire lane but my work doesn’t give me that kind of free time.
GM Vancouver Mounties

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Sat Jan 18, 2020 10:17 am

I realized after my playing days that coaching was fulfilling in a different way while still being a part of the game. I have a difficult time just watching a game for leisure (either mlb or my boys’ games). I need to either play or head coach.
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Polls”