Diamonds and Pearls 2041.4 - Treading Water in April

Interim GM: Sean Marko

Moderator: jiminyhopkins

tallywood
Ex-GM

Diamonds and Pearls 2041.4 - Treading Water in April

Post by tallywood » Fri Jan 10, 2020 10:02 am

The Manama Pearls fought to a 13-14 record in April. Along the way GM, Dillon Lowery, pulled the trigger on a blockbuster trade that sent away reigning BURT Pitcher of the Year Ruben Nunez for a trio of prospects, with one making their immediate debut in the UMEBA. Pearls' fans are stuck in limbo trying to decide if this move is Lowery's white flag on the season and commitment to the future, or if Lowery is being honest when he says he intends to remain competitive and keep the playoff streak alive as we speak.

The Pearls of April:
  • 1. CL Alistair Grieves - 0.84 ERA, 9 Saves, 13K, 0 BB, 0.8 WAR - Made the All-Star game last year, looks to repeat this year already
  • 2. 1B Sandro Trujillo - .330 /.391/.496, 4 HR, 16 RBI - despite not being the opening day first baseman, Trujillo has stepped into the role and has solidified himself with both his bat and gold-glove caliber defense.
  • 3. DH Scott Hoover - .363/.387/.500, 3 HR, 18 RBI - despite being relegated to the DH role due to his less-than-stellar glove, Hoover has been mashing for the Pearls so far.
  • 4. 2B Grigory Vojjinsky - .341/.372/.585, 2 HR, 8 RBI - his home runs and RBI stats seem low because he just became the everyday second baseman in the last week of the season. He is red hot and looks to be a major spark in 2041.
The Team So Far:
  • The Pearls are first in batting average, hits, and strikeouts on both defense and offense
  • However, the Pearls are near the bottom in Starting Pitching ERA, Opponent's BABIP, and Home Runs Allowed
  • The Pearls' home record is an abysmal 1-5
The Major Moves:
  • C Jeff Melton has seen better days as he has been waived and DFA'd once again.
  • 1B Alejandro Guterriez entered 2041 as the starting first baseman, but has been outplayed by everyone. He is now in AAA and hoping to find his swing.
  • CF Juan Castillo is the first of many prospects to see the UMEBA this year as he was just called up at the end of April to take over in center field.
  • After coming over in the big trade, SP Mauro Silva has been up and down in his first UMEBA month, but he did have a game where he threw 8 shutout innings
The Farm:
  • The fans are waiting patiently for CF Joshua Koka's debut, but with a crowded outfield and his .255 in AA, fans will have to wait a little longer.
  • A minor injury to 2B Wally Geoghegan will slow his progress down slightly, but he is mashing in A-ball slashing .359/.423/.484
  • SP Johan Trojka is coming on hot in AA, confidently throwing to a 2-2, 3.86 ERA, 34 K month. Analysts see him making the move up to AAA and possibly the UMEBA very soon.
Valencia Stars GM: 2043-

Manama Pearls GM: 2040-2043
BURT Division Champions: 2040
BURT Wild Card: 2041

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: Diamonds and Pearls 2041.4 - Treading Water in April

Post by Fat Nige » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:15 pm

Fine collection of pitches for Trojka. I’m very wary of calling up players too early, in a league where a lot of the pitchers are early thirties or more, I always feel that young pitchers need a lot of experience before making the big step up. Who knows if that is right or not, but I shall be watching the career path of Trojka compared to my 22-yr-old Paco Munoz in Triple-A
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

tallywood
Ex-GM

Post by tallywood » Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:51 pm

Fat Nige wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:15 pm
Fine collection of pitches for Trojka. I’m very wary of calling up players too early, in a league where a lot of the pitchers are early thirties or more, I always feel that young pitchers need a lot of experience before making the big step up. Who knows if that is right or not, but I shall be watching the career path of Trojka compared to my 22-yr-old Paco Munoz in Triple-A
oh absolutely. If he gets his changeup going he could be really really good.

I can't confirm or deny if those analyst's predictions are true, I am just the GM. I can't vouch for the sources used in these stories :D ;)
Valencia Stars GM: 2043-

Manama Pearls GM: 2040-2043
BURT Division Champions: 2040
BURT Wild Card: 2041

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:30 pm

tallywood wrote:
Fri Jan 10, 2020 2:51 pm
I can't vouch for the sources used in these stories :D ;)
It's tough being the guy in charge. Sometimes you just want to strangle the press.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Tokyo Pearls”