shoeless.db
BBA GM

Brewstopocene Reviewed S1, Ep2; Slack and International Free Agents

Post by shoeless.db » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:43 pm

Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

niles08
BBA GM

Re: Brewstopocene Reviewed S1, Ep2; Slack and International Free Agents

Post by niles08 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 5:59 pm

I enjoyed this. I agree Slack is fantastic as I also grew up relatively quiet and to this day remain that way having a pretty hard time socializing.

I also agree with IFA. In Omaha we make enough money to basically throw 30 million every other season towards IFA and then wait a year to accumulate it again before throwing it back towards it the following season.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:44 pm

Shoeless, your ability to tie in BBA/OOTP topics to your personal life is fantastic. Brandon Pee and nicknames, first period high school relationships and Slack...just wonderful.

Regarding the disdain for the current IFA process, my opinion -- entirely shooting from the hip -- would be that it works as is. If someone wants to spend big time, there's the potential for both a financial penalty and next-season-participation penalty. Imagine if this year's class was incredible...Ron would have been SOL after his spending spree last year and he would have suffered. Additionally, though I'm not versed on just how much budgets are related to market sizes in the BBA, I feel like most well-run teams can finish with a profit based on success to increase attendance, ticket prices, what they do with cash, etc. Can't a "small market" team in the BBA overcome their market size and still turn a healthy profit? Lastly, if you don't spend your money on IFAs or any other expenditures (draft, stadium upkeep, personnel salaries, etc.), you basically lose it once it exceeds the bonus funds limit. So teams are really encouraged to not only turn a profit, but spend the money as well. If you're finishing each year with cash in excess of the bonus funds limit, you're doing something wrong...you should be spending it in IFA (or other avenues.)

Just my thoughts...

Great episode though...keep 'em (and the Orwellian quotes) comin'!
Last edited by jleddy on Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 6:47 pm

More brilliance in another 10 minute package.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Well done, again! Agree on both Topics - Slack is outstanding, IFA is ... not. The scripted nature of this podcast is a nice counterpoint to more freewheeling style of some of the other pods. A welcome addition!

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:08 pm

On the whole, I agree with the sentiment of IFA as it stands today, but I think there's a better (indirect) throttle at our disposal--or at least one I'd like to see us take a shot at before going to a hard spending cap. I've been a small revenue team and I've been a big revenue team, so I get it both ways, but as Joe notes, there are only a few places where you can spend extra cash, so I hate to just squash this one.

That said, I'd suggest the problem is that cash becomes fairly easy for big revenue teams to stock up on...and most of the real disparity is in media contracts. I've made some conversation in the past about locking these down across the board (we have a standard national media contract, but our local contracts vary pretty widely). We currently have 9 teams with media revenue greater than $65M. Standardize local contracts, and that advantage goes away...and then (if I'm right) the game theory behind the eb and flow of IFA spending gets to be even more interesting.

So, yeah, I'd like to try that first, and if it doesn't work to make the process more fun, then look at a hard cap of some kind.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:05 pm

Great points made here. I still need to listen, but from a low revenue team’s perspective, the only time I’m able to have a payroll exceeding 100 mil and be able to turn a profit is if I make the playoffs in some capacity. Last season was really close. If I didn’t make the extra 3 mil or whatever I would have either been even for the season losing about 20 mil in cash or I would have had to pull from bonus funds.

This year is close too. Some of that is because my season ticket prices are too high, but my staff costs are under 3 mil, I haven’t signed any IFAs either, my payroll is under control. Put all of those things together on another team and I think they’re rolling in case.

To Ron’s point, the problem is clearly media contracts. I would love to see local contracts even across the board. Not really sure of the argument against it other than to purposely have financial disparity in the league for realism. I suppose that makes sense, but not being able to control those numbers don’t make sense to me. I should be able to procure high paying local contracts especially since Edmonton is winning and competitive for the past three seasons. Not to mention winning a Landis.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:49 pm

Hah “udderly” loved it...
GM Vancouver Mounties

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:33 am

In Omaha, we have the highest media revenue at $80,000,000...but I would not be opposed to giving everyone the same media revenue. It's not something I am in control of, therefore I shouldn't gain an advantage based on it.

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Tue Oct 08, 2019 1:16 pm

I spent big in IFA offseason last offseason as a small market team. Large and small can both participate but as a small market you have to sacrifice your player payroll to make it happen. I disagree small market can’t participate but yes small market can’t have the best of both worlds.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brewster Broadcasting Network”