39.26 A Post-Bobby Lynch Jackrabbits Future #1 Carlomaria Donadoni

GM: Mike Neugebauer

Moderator: neugey

crobillard
Ex-GM

39.26 A Post-Bobby Lynch Jackrabbits Future #1 Carlomaria Donadoni

Post by crobillard » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:11 pm

When I drafted Jose Salas, I was unsure whether I would be able to get a hitter I would be more excited about. Salas is the type of hitter who can hit anywhere in the lineup. He has so many tools that it will be difficult for anyone to keep him across home plate and a great frequency. Then, the 2038 draft hits. Carlomaria Donadoni could be a #1 overall pick in many drafts. I selected him with the 13th overall pick in the draft. When I joined the BBA for my second stint and took a look at Edmonton, I thought I would lean on players that had higher contact. The success of Steven Collins III further confirmed that plan. Donadoni was almost the best of all worlds. He was a high contact hitter with his potential rated at 9 and his power rated at 10. He has a lot of great other ratings that I'll get into, but he was a huge slam dunk. I know a lot of teams had similar acquisitions from the 2038 draft though, so I'm sure it'll be very interesting when they all get to the bigs and we have such a large infusion of talent.

Donadoni played two years of high school and he hit really well. Through 80 games and 320 at bats he batted .391/.478/.850 with nine doubles and 46 homeruns. Earlier in the series I mentioned how I really enjoyed looking at 162 game averages, but I acknowledge that none of this really means anything and it certainly doesn't translate to success in the bigs. With all of that said, Donadoni's 162 game average in high school was 93 homeruns. Hilarious. In the future, if you ever need some evidence to how insane the 2038 draft, you can take a look at Donadoni. He was selected with the 13th overall pick. Insanity.

After he was selected last season, he saw time in Rookie league where he batted .235/.267/.416 with 19 doubles and eight homeruns in 238 at bats. When he was drafted I really wasn't sure what position he would play. I kept him at third base because that's what he's always played, but he's not the greatest there, though he does have a big arm. His infield defensive ratings are 4/6/11/3 and he's rated a 5 at third. He's fine in a pinch I guess, but I definitely don't want to throw him out there for 162 games in the bigs. Thankfully, I already have a third baseman that's pretty good and that was kind of my struggle. He can play in the outfield a little bit too, but he's an absolute statue. 2/7/10 outfield defensive ratings, but I guess as long as the ball is hit directly at him every time with zero variance he should be pretty good out there. So, that wasn't really something I thought about. For awhile I just thought I'd stick him at DH, but I've spent a lot of time thinking about how I'll fit in all of my prospects. I'm reasonably certain I'm going to try sticking him at first base and hope for the best.

You're not really interested in his defense though. When he was drafted he was rated 2/3/3/3/3 with 10/10/10/6/7 potentials. He grew really quickly through 2038 despite his poor overall performance. By the time the 2039 season started Donadoni was already rated 5/8/5/5/4, but he lumped in contact potential to a 9. Overall, I'll take it. Donadoni would bump in every important category in 2039, bumping a point in his contact, power and AvK. He finished this season with a .257/.291/.479 battling line. We would love to see higher production since he spent a lot of the season with a 6 contact in Single A, but I'm confident he'll come around.

The question now is where do we go from here. He's turning 19 this offseason and I'm thinking about leaving him in Single A next season. I'd really like to see him perform better. Maybe a mid year promotion if he does well. If he bumps this offseason though it will be difficult to deny him a spot in AA. He has plenty more points to gain though and I'm not in any particular rush to get him in the bigs. I think his ratings now line up well with AA. We'll see how this offseason goes. If it goes well, we'll probably see him in spring training. As far as defensively, I'll maintain his third base rating hoping that he will bump his range at some point, but Donadoni will be seeing a lot of time at first base next season.

I think he'll be a monster once he makes it to the bigs. That's why he's my number one prospect. He has 40+ dingers written all over him hitting 50 in some seasons, but it'll be difficult to get there in Edmonton's park. A 9 contact hitter with a 7 AvK with a 10 in gap and 10 in power? If he hits those marks we'll be seeing Carlo-mania in Edmonton.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 39.26 A Post-Bobby Lynch Jackrabbits Future #1 Carlomaria Donadoni

Post by RonCo » Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:32 pm

It's going to be very interesting to see performances of the talent coming in. There is only so much WAR to go around.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:54 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:32 pm
It's going to be very interesting to see performances of the talent coming in. There is only so much WAR to go around.
Yeah it's be really interesting to watch. I think we're just going to see it be a little watered down. 10/10/9/6/7 will still be an excellent player, but probably not as good as one would be right now. I could be wrong, game coding might be different, but I always thought OOTP tried to keep 5 as the average rating for a player (not necessarily someone who would perform well in the bigs). The thought being that if there are so many fantastic hitters coming up, instead of moving the average rating away from 5 the game would nerf the performance of higher rated players to keep players within realistic values.

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 am

If it were me, Donadoni probably gets another year in Single-A while Salas is borderline called up or waits one more season. Salas falls in that conversation that was started earlier on what are your needs, who do you have in front of him, do you want to start his clock early or wait.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Sun Sep 08, 2019 11:34 am

7teen wrote:
Sun Sep 08, 2019 9:10 am
If it were me, Donadoni probably gets another year in Single-A while Salas is borderline called up or waits one more season. Salas falls in that conversation that was started earlier on what are your needs, who do you have in front of him, do you want to start his clock early or wait.
Yeah, I think barring a good offseason for Donadoni, I'll at least start him in Single A, maybe a midseason call up if he does well. Salas is interesting. I definitely don't need to bring him up, but it's pretty tempting. It'll be a gut call after spring training.

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sun Sep 08, 2019 12:53 pm

crobillard wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 7:54 pm
RonCo wrote:
Sat Sep 07, 2019 4:32 pm
Yeah it's be really interesting to watch. I think we're just going to see it be a little watered down. 10/10/9/6/7 will still be an excellent player, but probably not as good as one would be right now. I could be wrong, game coding might be different, but I always thought OOTP tried to keep 5 as the average rating for a player (not necessarily someone who would perform well in the bigs). The thought being that if there are so many fantastic hitters coming up, instead of moving the average rating away from 5 the game would nerf the performance of higher rated players to keep players within realistic values.
The game is a bit of an enigma here. :)

I don't think it ever changes its results engine at all. Performance is always based on a player's ratings vs. his environment (other players, league totals, and ballparks). I've tested this forever, and I don't see anything to suggest that as a structural thing.

That said, the dev engine does seem to at least attempt to throttle overall talent in the league and modulate it at the high level. I think it's best to think of "average" as a 6 (out of 10), but I've been wrong before, and to be honest, that value is (I'm pretty sure) different for every rating type. (There's a set of performance maps under the skin that map with league totals to control final outcomes...but that's not really pertinent to the question of what's going to happen going forward).

When we cranked player creation up, that meant all of our average ratings were going to go up. This is happening. But the game engine will modulate that, and our average will stabilize out again--though we may decide next year to put the PCMs back down a bit :). Anyway, if the average ratings go up in the league, then a player is playing against better competition...blah, blah, blah...Of course, there are a billion moving parts here--which players get their ratings crushed and which survive, selection bias of which players our GMs decide they like. The injury model. Playing time over time (which players are those great players displacing, and where do they go?).

I'd have to go back and look, but my Media Guide piece showed the BBA had a mega-spike in draft class talent back 30-40 years ago, and you could see it flow through the league in different ways.

So, yeah, it's going to be interesting to try to figure out how to deal with it.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Edmonton Jackrabbits”