OFFICIAL 2040 Expansion Details

Announcements from the Governing Board found here
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: OFFICIAL 2040 Expansion Details

Post by RonCo » Mon May 20, 2019 11:35 am

That likelihood may be (should be?) mitigated to at least some degree with (essentially) two wild cards coming from each division. With 12 playoff teams, a team bad enough that their season is over in the first week of May is probably going to be in the same boat no matter what division structure they are in. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon May 20, 2019 11:38 am

Lane wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:32 am
Bumstead wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:23 am
4 divisions will just encourage more tanking...being 7th in one's division after a month will be like being the cubs of old: "Why are you talking to me, our season ended the first week of May."
But the amount of playoff teams is the same either way so I'm not really seeing the difference.

Plus with 8 divisions you have to play more games outside your division than inside which diminishes the value/point of divisions.
Right. Jeff's arguments would be spot on if the 8-team divisions were like the old MLB structure with sixteen teams where only one team went to the post season. But I'd expect a different competitive environment in this approach, and as we noted, the scheduling is massively better in 4/8 than it is in 8/4.

That said, once things settle for a half-decade or so (decade?) and if 4/8 is deemed boring, I'm sure it can be addressed.
Roster

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Mon May 20, 2019 11:46 am

Lane wrote:
Bumstead wrote:
4 divisions will just encourage more tanking...being 7th in one's division after a month will be like being the cubs of old: "Why are you talking to me, our season ended the first week of May."
But the amount of playoff teams is the same either way so I'm not really seeing the difference.

Plus with 8 divisions you have to play more games outside your division than inside which diminishes the value/point of divisions.
There's logic to why MLB expanded divisions. And, yes, 6 divisions is an option and usable. It gives teams something to strive for. Trying to finish 4th in your division so that you can sneak into the playoffs isn't as fun as trying to win one's division, even if that would only make you the #4 seed. It's banner worthy when you win and that makes the game more fun. I'm not sure why a league would resort back to the 50's for a model when the league clearly isn't fashioned after that model.

felipe
Ex-GM

Post by felipe » Mon May 20, 2019 12:16 pm

I'm looking forward to the expansion, and I like the proposed changes put forth by the governing board.

Looks like fun.

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Mon May 20, 2019 1:08 pm

Yeah this is exciting. Thanks for the work you put into this.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Mon May 20, 2019 1:36 pm

Bumstead wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 11:46 am
Lane wrote:
Bumstead wrote:

There's logic to why MLB expanded divisions. And, yes, 6 divisions is an option and usable. It gives teams something to strive for. Trying to finish 4th in your division so that you can sneak into the playoffs isn't as fun as trying to win one's division, even if that would only make you the #4 seed. It's banner worthy when you win and that makes the game more fun. I'm not sure why a league would resort back to the 50's for a model when the league clearly isn't fashioned after that model.
You wouldn't be bothered by divisions of different sizes? That seems to be a lot worse than 8 team divisions.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Mon May 20, 2019 1:47 pm

Lane wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 1:36 pm

You wouldn't be bothered by divisions of different sizes? That seems to be a lot worse than 8 team divisions.
Everyone has their own esthetics.
Roster

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Mon May 20, 2019 2:05 pm

Lane wrote:
Bumstead wrote:
Lane wrote:

No, I would find it more fun to compete for a division title than to try and weed through 8 team divisions like it's the 1910's through the 1960's or whatever it was...I think it is always more beneficial for more teams to have a chance to win a division title than to have less teams with a chance. 8 divisions makes more sense with 32 teams than 6; I can't logically decipher the logic of increasing teams and going to 8 divisions...

This league seems to complicate so many things from signing coaches, minor league roster limits, still have FA comp, and on and on...Now we are adding teams and shrinking the number of divisions...can not compute...Let's just go to 1 division, then we won't have to have playoffs...

All this said. It's just my opinion. I would find the league more entertaining given a better opportunity to "challenge" for a division title vs 4 divisions of 8....seems like going backwards to me...but, that's my opinion, which y'all probably know by now most likely won't change easily.

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Mon May 20, 2019 2:35 pm

Bumstead wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:05 pm
...but, that's my opinion, which y'all probably know by now most likely won't change easily.
Hah! You and me both, buddy. We should start a support group for the intransigent and cantankerous.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Sun May 26, 2019 7:37 am

Bumstead wrote:
Mon May 20, 2019 2:05 pm
Lane wrote:
Bumstead wrote:

No, I would find it more fun to compete for a division title than to try and weed through 8 team divisions like it's the 1910's through the 1960's or whatever it was...I think it is always more beneficial for more teams to have a chance to win a division title than to have less teams with a chance. 8 divisions makes more sense with 32 teams than 6; I can't logically decipher the logic of increasing teams and going to 8 divisions...

This league seems to complicate so many things from signing coaches, minor league roster limits, still have FA comp, and on and on...Now we are adding teams and shrinking the number of divisions...can not compute...Let's just go to 1 division, then we won't have to have playoffs...

All this said. It's just my opinion. I would find the league more entertaining given a better opportunity to "challenge" for a division title vs 4 divisions of 8....seems like going backwards to me...but, that's my opinion, which y'all probably know by now most likely won't change easily.
Like last time, I'm.....let's say less than excited about expansion. But the division structure doesn't really matter if the number of playoff teams are the same in both arguments. It's just that in one, you are battling for a division win and in another, you are just battling to be in the top 6 (with a division win having a big bonus of a bye).

I actually really grew to like the 2 division, 4 wild card setup of before the last expansion. My target was just always seeing where we were in relation to the final wild card (instead of in relation to the division lead)
Greenville Moonshiners/Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: 2026-Present
Jacksonville Hurricanes GM: (1251-1018); 2029, 2031, 2034-38 Div. Champions
Paris Patriots GM: 2025 (79-83)

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:51 pm

RonCo wrote:
Sun May 19, 2019 10:48 am
Good questions/comments. Given how OOTP does things, it's a little...um...complicated because pro years toggle on January 1. Given this:

1) Players with 2 years (and any number of days) of professional time today will be eligible for the draft. (*)
2) Players with 1 year (and any number of days) of professional time will not be eligible for the draft

(*) They will go to 3 years, 0 days on January 1, then begin accruing additional days as the season progresses, so by expansion draft day they will have 3 years, XXX days as a professional.
I missed this comment back in May. Wouldn't players who are turning over on Jan 1 (i.e. 3 years 0 days players) be INELIGIBLE for the draft? The rule says "All players with three professional seasons or less on draft day will be automatically protected." Isn't 3 years, 0 days exactly 3 seasons, fitting within the 3 seasons or less?

Meaning anyone who currently says 3 pro seasons would need to be protected; but all players with 0, 1, or 2 years would not be eligible for the draft.

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:31 am

So I am still confused over the professional time required for protection and exactly how that works. If I think I understand this correct service time is not factored in at all. In the player page and contract info there is a "time as a professional" status which I think what we are supposed to use and not service time. So we could have someone in AAA with no BBA service time but has over 3 years professional time that would need to be protected if we wanted. I am trying to tentatively put together my 19 and wanted clarity on that.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:29 am

Yes

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 am

udlb58 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:51 pm
RonCo wrote:
Good questions/comments. Given how OOTP does things, it's a little...um...complicated because pro years toggle on January 1. Given this:

1) Players with 2 years (and any number of days) of professional time today will be eligible for the draft. (*)
2) Players with 1 year (and any number of days) of professional time will not be eligible for the draft

(*) They will go to 3 years, 0 days on January 1, then begin accruing additional days as the season progresses, so by expansion draft day they will have 3 years, XXX days as a professional.
I missed this comment back in May. Wouldn't players who are turning over on Jan 1 (i.e. 3 years 0 days players) be INELIGIBLE for the draft? The rule says "All players with three professional seasons or less on draft day will be automatically protected." Isn't 3 years, 0 days exactly 3 seasons, fitting within the 3 seasons or less?

Meaning anyone who currently says 3 pro seasons would need to be protected; but all players with 0, 1, or 2 years would not be eligible for the draft.
Yes, I wrote that when we were in 2038. As of today:
  • any player that is currently listed with 2 years (and any number of days) will be automatically protected.
  • any player listed with 3 years (and any number of days) will need to be protected.
Roster

udlb58
Ex-GM

Post by udlb58 » Fri Jul 19, 2019 11:03 pm

RonCo wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 10:41 am
udlb58 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 10:51 pm
RonCo wrote:

Yes, I wrote that when we were in 2038. As of today:
  • any player that is currently listed with 2 years (and any number of days) will be automatically protected.
  • any player listed with 3 years (and any number of days) will need to be protected.
Perfect. That makes complete sense.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:16 pm

This is the schedule file I used:

#
# 32 team schedule, 162 games
# Designed for the following configuration:
# 2 subleagues, each with 2 division of 8 teams
#
#
# 14 games against 7 other teams in division (7H/7A)
# 8 games against 8 teams in other division in subleague (4H/4A)
# no interleague games
#
# Schedules for two subleagues are identical
#
#
# Many 2-game and 4-games series
# About half of weeks are a 2-game series followed by a 4-game series
#
# Teams play no more than 20 consecutive days without offday
#
# Homestands and roadtrips as long as 14 games
#
# All game times set at 7:05pm
#
# Season begins Saturday before first Monday of April
# Season ends late-September/early-October
# Season spans 184 days
#
# All-Star Game in early/mid-July (season day number 102)
#
# Built 2019-05-19

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “League Announcements”