2037.07 - The Long Beach Independent - Surfers to Offer 8-Figure Bonus?

GM: Stephen Lane

Moderator: Lane

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

2037.07 - The Long Beach Independent - Surfers to Offer 8-Figure Bonus?

Post by Lane » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:15 am

FRANCO RUMORED TO BE LEVERAGING COLLEGE OFFERS

June 16, 2037
Long Beach, CA

With the amateur draft wrapped up, negotiations are now taking place with the young men selected by the teams of the BBA. The Surfers supplemental first rounder, Francisco Franco is rumored to be demanding a bonus well north of $10 million.

The 17 year old Valedictorian of Brussels Royal Guard High School is known to have a number of scholarship offers from prestigious colleges all over the world. Known as much for his intelligence as his curveball, Franco is not going to sign with the Surfers for the $1 million dollar slot amount.

"Let's just say his starting point was an order of magnitude above slot" said a team source who remained anonymous due to BBA restrictions on discussion of negotiations. "The team has not ruled out making an offer, but this is the highest demand I've ever seen from an amateur since I've been around the league" he elaborated.

With potentials of 8/7/9 and a three pitch mix, the well developed (4/4/4) righty could be a BBA contributor within a few seasons if his development goes smoothly. For a team struggling with their rotation, he seems a good fit. The Surfers should have no problem finding the cash, as they were outbid on all IFA's this season, leaving nearly $20 million in the coffers in addition to the estimated $8 million profit for 2037.

Insiders report that most other draftees are demanding bonuses in the range of their slots, but that there are two late-rounders demanding seven figures. Sources familiar with the negotiations declined to name the draftees, but stated that deals were unlikely.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

agrudez
Ex-GM

Re: 2037.07 - The Long Beach Independent - Surfers to Offer 8-Figure Bonus?

Post by agrudez » Thu Jan 10, 2019 8:18 am

Yikes. He must know that you don't get comp picks for supplemental picks and is trying to extort you. Tell him you'll give him 1M now and put 9M in an escrow account if he can manage to get his changeup out of the gutter and become an actual starter.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:46 am

That's a tough one. My usual take is just pay 'em if you have the cash. Even the biggest draft signing bonuses are usually lower than IFA prices. But there's a decent chance he's not a starter. That's a lot of money for a reliever. I'd probably still do it, but I could get it if you don't.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Thu Jan 10, 2019 9:53 am

I feel your pain...but not quite as intensely. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:28 am

I'm definitely going to try to sign him. Don't want to lose out on the pick. Even at $11 million, he's cheaper, and I'd say safer than an IFA signing. I see a clear path to starting for him, but even if not, I'd still say it's worth it for a reliever.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 am

I signed Sosa for 2M off IFA not too long ago, so what... 3.9M total after penalties? That's almost 3 Sosa's you could sign for 1 Franco. As a reliever I prefer Sosa, but I guess you can justify paying a bit more for the offhand chance Franco can cut it as a SP. There is also the opportunity cost of not being able to sign IFAs next season if you get one this year (though that is mitigated if you go all in this year and get a bunch). A couple variables to consider - food for thought.
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

Lane

Post by Lane » Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:14 pm

agrudez wrote:
Thu Jan 10, 2019 11:56 am
I signed Sosa for 2M off IFA not too long ago, so what... 3.9M total after penalties? That's almost 3 Sosa's you could sign for 1 Franco. As a reliever I prefer Sosa, but I guess you can justify paying a bit more for the offhand chance Franco can cut it as a SP. There is also the opportunity cost of not being able to sign IFAs next season if you get one this year (though that is mitigated if you go all in this year and get a bunch). A couple variables to consider - food for thought.
I see what you're saying. I'm far more confident in Franco's ability to be a BBA SP than you are, and I think that's why we're valuing them so differently.
Stephen Lane
Since 2026

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sat Jan 12, 2019 12:13 am

It's especially easy to spend the money if it's all going away anyway.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Long Beach Surfers”