Long Ball leads to win’s for Omaha.(36.4)

GM: Justin Niles

Moderator: niles08

niles08
BBA GM

Long Ball leads to win’s for Omaha.(36.4)

Post by niles08 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:04 am

The rumor around the league is that the Hawks are the “hottest team” in baseball right now. While that could be argued either way, the more important question may be, how exactly are the Hawks winning all of these games all of a sudden?

Well, let’s point to 1 statistic.

Home Runs. Not just by the bat, but home run’s being kept in the part by Omaha pitchers.

Okay, so let’s face facts. Omaha plays in a home run friendly ball park. There’s no question about it. They have already played 45 home games this year, 15 more than away games. So leading the FL in Home Runs makes sense and should be expected.

You would expect the same when the Hawks are in the field. They have had 45 games where they have taken the batter’s box at Hawks Field, which also means they have had to take the pitcher’s mound for those 45 games as well. This would only mean you should expect to find the Hawks near or at the very top for most home runs allowed as a team.

The Hawks have hit 138 home runs this season, most in the FL as mentioned.

They have allowed 103 home runs this season, which ranks 9th in the FL, basically putting them in the middle of the group.

The teams +78 run differential speaks volumes to not only runs being generated the team ranks first in the FL with 406, but don’t overlook the teams ranking of 4th in the FL with only 328 runs allowed. A .244 opponent batting average can be credited with keeping opponents on base.

For a team that went from winning 60 games a year, to a team that had to attempt to out-shootout it’s opponents by way of the long-ball, to a the team that it is now, A team that can win by hitting home runs and can trust it’s pitchers, has been a tremendous transformation for the city of Omaha.

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Re: Long Ball leads to win’s for Omaha.(36.4)

Post by Lane » Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:21 pm

It's a nice place to be, leading the league in HR. My best seasons have happened when I lead the league in HR hit and fewest allowed. I'm doing well on the latter this year at least.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:05 pm

Omaha's and Madison's offenses are interesting case studies....

Omaha: Doesn't walk a lot, doesn't strike out, not very high up on the list in hits, Hits HRs = 1st in runs scored

Madison: Draws walks, doesn't strike out, higher OBP, 2nd in SBs, last in HRs = 13th in Runs Scored

Granted we don't have a lot of base hits either. So drawing walks and stealing bases isn't creating runs for us. But hitting them out of the ballpark will always generate runs.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:09 pm

At the end of last season I was trying to calculate Fangraphs' BaseRuns for the league... It's basically a different measure of overall offense...sort of an advanced stats PYTH I guess.

Anyway there's some stats required that aren't easily captured from OOTP and it turned out to be a bit more work than I wanted it to be.

That's all to say I wonder how much sequencing is playing a role in the run production of Omaha vs Madison.
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Mon Oct 15, 2018 5:43 pm

StatsPlus does base runs. SO there's that. I think the team's ballparks are big wrap factors in the case of Omaha and Madison. Both are on opposite extremes.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Omaha Cyclones”