HoF: WAAS update and poll

Announcements, Ballots, Voting Results and Other Assorted Stuff.

Should I wait until 2003 HoF voting concludes to publish WAAS for candidates?

Yes. Providing extra info now will skew results.
20%
No. Go ahead, can't hurt. Early voters had plenty of data.
80%

Total votes: 5

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Post by cheekimonk » Sun Feb 05, 2012 9:56 pm

WAAS is alive! It's ALIVE!!!

That is actually very appropriate because it's kind of a Frankenstein given key pieces of data are missing for hitters, OOTP uses part widely-accepted formulas for hitter WAR and part "OOTP wuju" that I am very confident I have closely approximated, and it still requires some assumptions on inputs. But I've been very careful to justify my choice where I had to make one and to build in variable factors that both minimize the margin of error and allow for some "what ifs" by me or anyone else (once I post the formulation thread).

Which brings me to the poll. I'll put up a formulation thread as promised, an analysis of the current HoF members, and a third thread on the existing candidate pool. The last thread I can do now (tomorrow) or wait until 2003 voting in complete. What I have is not a holy relic, of course, but it could theoretically skew results between those who've already voted and those who have not. Vote by Monday night and I'll post the candidate WAAS Tuesday or after voting depending on the poll results.
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:56 am

bateague wrote:WAAS is alive! It's ALIVE!!!

That is actually very appropriate because it's kind of a Frankenstein given key pieces of data are missing for hitters, OOTP uses part widely-accepted formulas for hitter WAR and part "OOTP wuju" that I am very confident I have closely approximated, and it still requires some assumptions on inputs. But I've been very careful to justify my choice where I had to make one and to build in variable factors that both minimize the margin of error and allow for some "what ifs" by me or anyone else (once I post the formulation thread).

Which brings me to the poll. I'll put up a formulation thread as promised, an analysis of the current HoF members, and a third thread on the existing candidate pool. The last thread I can do now (tomorrow) or wait until 2003 voting in complete. What I have is not a holy relic, of course, but it could theoretically skew results between those who've already voted and those who have not. Vote by Monday night and I'll post the candidate WAAS Tuesday or after voting depending on the poll results.
Tough call. I'm not sure how people will use this data. Hopefully it doesn't become THE data everyone uses for HOF voting. I would hate to take the human element away from it. At the same time I am a data junkie (who isn't?) and would love to see it.

cheekimonk
BBA GM

Re: HoF: WAAS update and poll

Post by cheekimonk » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:07 am

JimBob2232 wrote:
Tough call. I'm not sure how people will use this data. Hopefully it doesn't become THE data everyone uses for HOF voting. I would hate to take the human element away from it. At the same time I am a data junkie (who isn't?) and would love to see it.
I think the biggest impact it will have is putting a number to the argument mainly made by Blake that 15 years of being above average does not warrant an invite to the HoF.
Ben Teague, GM Boise Spuds
2682-3175, .457 PCT (5,857 games, 36 seasons)
11 Playoff Appearances, 1 Championship

Former BBA GM: Many (Monty Brewster Memorial Series champion: 1997)
Former GBC GM: Jerusalem, Buenos Aires

Boise Home Page (roster, prospects, etc.)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Voting Chatter”