What's Brewing In The Brewster. Season 2, Episode 4

Podcasts and more!
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: What's Brewing In The Brewster. Season 2, Episode 4

Post by RonCo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:41 pm

There was no question Thaler was the value part of the deal for Edmomton.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Wed Oct 02, 2019 5:17 pm

bschr682 wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 4:34 pm
crobillard wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 11:18 am
I get so excited when I see this post. Can't get enough BBA.

I'm okay with this draft class. I'd prefer the top 3-5 picks to be able to get a slightly better player than what's available this year.

I love Morales. You wont catch me voting against him.

I'm BIG on my Thealer deal. He provides me with some really interesting flexibility against opponents. Over the offseason he was asking for some ridiculous price, but dropped down to around 6 years/$36 mil last sim. I hopped right on that. That deal also (and of course I'm thinking this way) makes him valuable in trades. 10+ mil/year is always hard to swallow for any team. With all of this said, there's no doubt that Rios is the better hitter and if I could add 4 million more to each year to Thealer's deal and get Rios, I would probably take him instead.

I can't stand flies.
This is why people were questioning that Raider trade. Thealer is an absolute steal on that contract.
I don't think trades should be questioned on a potentially favorable contract that a player may or may not sign. Weird take. The trade can be questioned on the salary retention. I can meet halfway on that after I learned of the potential impact of 100% salary retention deals through the league. Take away salary retention and is the deal still warranting GB intervention? I don't think I'm close with anyone who believes it does, so Thealer resigning cheap is just like if Dalrymple signs cheap. It doesn't matter as far as questioning the deal is concerned. FWIW Thealer's demands were around 14 mil per year until that last sim. His demands tanked and I scooped him up as soon as I could.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:29 pm

It’s not a weird take at all. If you aren’t looking st potential salary in future years, you aren’t planning correctly. Dalrymple projects as a guy who needs a big salary to keep. Machiavelli and thealer are obviously going to be way cheaper but still useful players. Probably a bad trade even without the salary retention.

And no there is no need for any sort of gb intervention. When I say question I just mean court of public opinion. Nothing untoward happened.

The only thing that can save this is if Dalrymple gets flipped for something great. Could happen.
GM Vancouver Mounties

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:54 pm

But public opinion is actually somewhat split (I note that Aaron's Media Guide previews came out as favoring the deal on both sides, too).

The assessment of salary in the out years cuts all ways. The final assessment of the trade as a stand-alone entity will rest heavily on how/whether the two kid pitchers develop or not. If Madison gets two effective min-sal pitchers with six years of control (especially if Herrera manages to start), I think they've done just fine. If they don't, Madison crashes and burns.

Thealer's contract is a good, team-friendly one, but it's not super-de-duper-great, just great. He's been a 3 WAR player for the past three seasons, so he should probably get $9M per...instead he's getting $6M per...yes, a nice discount, but it's not like he's a 6-7 WAR guy getting $9M--which would be pennies on the dollar.

To me, these arguments seem to break down into "he could have got a lot more" kind of discussions, but (again to me) those are just kind of "meh" arguments. The question I care about is "did they get what they wanted" (and you can also at least make a hand-wave toward "is what they wanted a good idea," but that's getting into personal space that I admit I prefer not to tread). I think Madison got what they wanted.
Roster

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:13 pm

This may have been the most followed episode to date between the draft discussion and now the trade discussion lol

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:21 pm

It reminds me of another deal where "public opinion" pilloried a guy got two minor league pitchers and a replacement-level+ guy in return for current value. The jury is still out, but that deal is looking pretty good for the pilloried guy now.

Mostly I'm glad to have examples to talk about that don't include Yellow Springs, though. :)
Roster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:22 pm

Don't do it, Ron...
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

crobillard
Ex-GM

Post by crobillard » Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:50 pm

RonCo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 7:21 pm
It reminds me of another deal where "public opinion" pilloried a guy got two minor league pitchers and a replacement-level+ guy in return for current value. The jury is still out, but that deal is looking pretty good for the pilloried guy now.

Mostly I'm glad to have examples to talk about that don't include Yellow Springs, though. :)
lol! There are a ton of examples of this. Which is why I'm always so surprised when people take the "this deal is so lopsided" perspective when it includes decent, young prospects. Those prospects can turn out really, really well. There is legitimate risk in trading, but I've been on both sides. I've acquired prospects for talent and I have traded prospects for talent. It's gone poor for me and it's gone well for me. You almost never know right after the deal how it's going to turn out.

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Oct 03, 2019 12:09 pm

RonCo wrote:
Wed Oct 02, 2019 6:54 pm

Thealer's contract is a good, team-friendly one, but it's not super-de-duper-great, just great. He's been a 3 WAR player for the past three seasons, so he should probably get $9M per...instead he's getting $6M per...yes, a nice discount, but it's not like he's a 6-7 WAR guy getting $9M--which would be pennies on the dollar.
Assuming Chris plays Thealer at 2B, I think the deal becomes a very good one. Thealer was a 3 WAR player at SS the last two years. A position in which he had a -10 and -12 ZR rating respectively. He's a better 2B defensively so I personally wouldn't be surprised to see him post closer to a 4 WAR as a full-time 2B which makes the deal a very good one if that happens.

A 2B who can play even defense and post an OBP over .400 is very good in the league.

I can't help but remember how I eyed THealer in round 1 of the draft that season and was stunned when he fell all the way to me again in round 2.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50