2036 Johnson FA Podcast

Podcasts and more!
RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2036 Johnson FA Podcast

Post by RonCo » Thu Sep 13, 2018 3:04 pm

I'm not projecting Kamade to fall off a touch specifically due to his speed/BABIP--though it does happen. The best news for Kamade is that he recently bumped his AVK. So even if his BABIP falls, he should still hit for average. I suspect, however, that his fielding numbers will continue to fall as he approaches 27, and since he's a guy with limited power and a fairly strogn allergic reaction to a walk, that begins to limit his overall value.

He's been a 2.4 WAR guy for 3 straight years playing full time. He's probably got to ring up 3-4 WAR for me to like $13M per. He could peak higher. I'm just guessing he won't.

But, shrug, that's not a particularly big issue for Brett right now even if I'm right. We're just kibitzing at the water cooler right now. :)
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:30 pm

Started listening to this on the way home from work. Thanks for the kind words. Didn't sign anyone because of money issues. I'm in the process of trying to push the revenue ceiling up and had a few set backs along the way that have complicated things. Probably a good year not to have money though I guess. If I did, I probably would have targeted Twinkle Toes, Dave Wilfer, and bringing back Ricardo Guzman.

Ken Bates was terrible for us last year. He's got 10 stuff and a 10 rated 99 mph fastball and strikes out less then 8 batters per 9? Thing must be straight as an arrow.

Haven't listened to the Nashville part yet. I just hope everyone takes these podcasts in context. The hosts and forum posters will give opinions based of thier beliefs. But as the ole saying goes.. there is more then one way to skin a cat. My advise to everyone is play the game how you want to play it. There is no right or wrong way here. The only thing you can do wrong is get stressed out by what others think and not have fun. If you do some things that you later realize were stupid, welcome to the club. We all have made some bad decisions. You can always hit the rebuild switch and start over if it gets too bad.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:09 pm

agrudez wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 2:48 pm
Kamade's contract is a bit too rich for my blood, too, but, since he was brought up, I am not tracking Ted (on the podcast) and Ron (in thread) doomsaying his future just because he is a speed guy. Imo, you are applying a real life baseball principle (like BABIP dropping as a player ages, which Ted said on the podcast) that I am pretty confident doesn't exist in OOTP. I don't see much if any realism in player decline in OOTP. Heavyset power hitters (like Ryan Howard, Prince Fielder and Chris Davis from MLB) don't fall off a cliff at 30 in OOTP like they do in real life and speedy players (like Leon Sandcastle and Gerardo Guzman in BBA) don't 'lose a step' when they hit 30 either. Decline in OOTP feels pretty random unless precipitated by a bad injury history in my experience.
This is a solid point. I do think OOTP is gradually getting better. I also think they handle the speed and defense aging curves much better than the ones that affect power hitters. Kamade may not suffer. Look at how long Soriano has held on with Calgary. I can think of other guys who have.

Back to the point about spending more, I completely agree with you Kyle about jettisoning deal money. I guess one thing I didn't get as clear about is how you need to add more players than you can through the draft. So the spending isn't just to spend/raise revenue. It's to add talent to your team in a series of increments. I stand by my point that you can't just add 10 players who average 4 wins across them to a 100+ loss team and win anything. As far as the revenue part. It doesn't come as an immediate direct result. It comes from the slow, gradual fan interest build.

To be fair, these have been awful, awful free agent classes the last couple years. It's been pretty tough to make incremental improvements.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:40 pm

Even tougher if all the good players get locked up under club friendly, long term deals..right?

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:54 pm

recte44 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:40 pm
Even tougher if all the good players get locked up under club friendly, long term deals..right?
...Thats about to end...

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:07 pm

:jerry:

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Thu Sep 13, 2018 7:57 pm

recte44 wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:40 pm

IF this is a reference to my idea of getting rid of service limits, I think this will actually improve FA. Now, the model is, arb a guy three times, or buy out his three years of arb, THEN sign him to a long term deal. Those extensions are often still pretty friendly, because the player has only had 2-3 years of peak value. If we can sign long term extensions as soon as arb starts, you'll have a player coming up for free agency in his prime, when presumably he'll ask for a good chunk of money. He'll either get it, which ties up free agency money, making the pool less expensive for everyone else, or it will be too much and players will go to free agency sooner. I don't know that it would work out this way, but it seems really likely.
Ted Schmidt

GoldenOne
Ex-GM

Post by GoldenOne » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:46 pm

ae37jr wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 4:30 pm
Haven't listened to the Nashville part yet. I just hope everyone takes these podcasts in context. The hosts and forum posters will give opinions based of thier beliefs. But as the ole saying goes.. there is more then one way to skin a cat. My advise to everyone is play the game how you want to play it. There is no right or wrong way here. The only thing you can do wrong is get stressed out by what others think and not have fun. If you do some things that you later realize were stupid, welcome to the club. We all have made some bad decisions. You can always hit the rebuild switch and start over if it gets too bad.
No offense taken here Alan. If everyone knew the perfect way to build a team like some seem to think they do, there would be a lot more teams with multiple Landis wins listed in the signature banner. I see moves other teams make and shake my head so its all good and all fun. The Plan will reign supreme!
Easy.jpg
Brett "The Brain" Golden
GM: Nashville Goats 2034-2039 (The Plan® was working when I left!)
GM: Charlotte Cougars 2040-2052
GM: Rocky Mountain Oysters 2053-2057
2056 BBA Champions!

"Tonight, we take over the world!"
-- The Brain

Lane
GB: Vice Commissioner

Post by Lane » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 pm

Love the Jeff Sullivan call-out!
Stephen Lane
Vice Commissioner / Historian
General Manager, Long Beach Surfers
Since 2026

Ex-GM, Amsterdam Neptunes, 2025 EBA Champions

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:27 pm

Lane wrote:
Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:24 pm
Love the Jeff Sullivan call-out!
I felt very professional as I live "play indexed" during a podcast.
Ted Schmidt

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Brewster Broadcasting Network”