Tater Talk (2055.01): A Familiar Face in Boise

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

jleddy
Ex-GM

Tater Talk (2055.01): A Familiar Face in Boise

Post by jleddy » Mon May 08, 2023 8:42 pm

Image The press conference room at F. Nephi Grigg Memorial Stadium was buzzing with excitement as reporters gathered around the podium, waiting for the much-rumored return of former general manager Joe Lederer. Lederer, who quietly left the team in nearly a decade ago, hadn't been brought up in baseball front office circles for several years. The former Brewster General Manager of the Year winner had not made a public appearance since the final game of the 2046 season, one that ended in a disappointing 79-83 record after three playoff appearances in the previous five seasons.

Suddenly, the doors burst open, and in walked Lederer, looking older but still full of energy. He walked up to the podium, and the reporters began shouting questions at him.

The first question came from a reporter who wanted to know how Lederer felt about returning to Boise after so many years away. Lederer responded by saying that he couldn't resist the call of the Spuds and that he missed the team, the city, and most of all, the fans.

Another reporter asked Lederer about his strategy for assembling the team and staff heading into the off-season. Lederer responded by saying that he wanted to make sure the team had fun and that winning was important, but they needed to enjoy the ride. He also stated that they were going to be aggressive and put pressure on the other team. "From what I hear, triples and stolen bases are the 'in' thing," said Lederer, donning a new navy and orange Boise ball cap. "If it's good enough for Sacramento, it should be good enough for us up in Boise. This league could learn a thing or two from Shoeless."

"Any comments on Shoeless, who leaves the league the same time you are returning," shouted an eager, young reporter.

"Shoeless and I broke into the BBA together, so we've always got that," recalled Lederer. "I'm sad to see him go, I've learned a lot from him over the years. I wish him success and happiness with whatever he decides to do."

One reporter asked Lederer about handling the egos on the team, given that there were some big personalities. Lederer responded by saying while the roster is almost completely different from the one he left in 2046 -- his last season in Boise -- the Spuds are like family to him, and he would sit the players down this offseason, crack open a cold one, and talk it out. He added that he had dealt with bigger egos before.

""Crack open a cold one," Joe?," blurted a reporter from the back of the room. "Isn't it true that a condition of returning to the BBA was your sobriety?

Lederer quickly laughed off the line of questioning. "I haven't touched a drop in years."

Another reporter asked if Lederer was worried about the pressure of managing the Spuds. Lederer quickly answered that pressure was what he thrived on, and he couldn't wait for a big game in front of 55,000 screaming fans.

"Ugh, Joe, the stadium only holds 42,500," a member of the media scrummed said with a chuckle.

"Still? No upgrades since I left? Hmm, well okay then...42,500 screaming fans, it is!," Lederer said with a sheepish grin.

Another reporter inquired about the Spuds' pitching rotation and whether Lederer planned to make any changes, including the heavy usage of openers the past season. Lederer responded that they had some promising arms, but they were always looking to improve. He added that he would work closely with the pitching coach to make the best decisions for the team.

Lastly, a reporter brought up Lederer's fiery personality and tendency to clash with players, coaches and ownership. Lederer smiled and admitted that he had had some run-ins in the past. Still, he had learned a lot over the years, and he was confident that he could keep things under control. He emphasized that everyone was there to win and that he would do whatever it took to make that happen.

As the press conference began to wind down, Lederer's phone buzzed, and he looked down at the screen, his expression turning serious. He apologized to the reporters and said that he had to cut the conference short because of some urgent news that required his immediate attention. He thanked the reporters for coming out and promised to be in touch soon.

Image The press conference room was the center of the universe, or at least center of Boise, in anticipation of the naming of the Spuds newest general manager.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Tater Talk (2055.01): A Familiar Face in Boise

Post by Dington » Mon May 08, 2023 9:37 pm

Glad to have ya back!
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

woods
Ex-GM

Post by woods » Tue May 09, 2023 12:45 am

Good luck. Hope I left you with something decent to work with. By the way, I did upgrade the seating to 45k at some point. But you're forgiven for not checking the Stadium Dues sheet.
Woody Donahue
BBA GM
Boise Spuds (2047-2054)
Cairo Pharaohs - UMEBA (2046)

Vic Caleca UMEBA TN of the Year 2046

neugey
Ex-GM

Post by neugey » Tue May 09, 2023 6:07 am

2051 London Monarchs (GBC)
2051-present Edmonton Jackrabbits (BBA)

Trebro