Tater Talk (2052.08): Spuds’ Designated Hitter Commandeers Press Room for Impromptu Conference

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

woods
Ex-GM

Tater Talk (2052.08): Spuds’ Designated Hitter Commandeers Press Room for Impromptu Conference

Post by woods » Sun Oct 16, 2022 7:10 am

Image The Spuds’ general manager and front office team got a surprise this morning when they arrived to the team facility to find a press conference in progress.

Apparently, with all the buzz going around about Boise’s season, Spuds’ designated hitter Jim Antolin took it upon himself to organize a conference, sending out private invitations to reporters nationwide. (How he obtains their personal contact information, your guess is as good as ours, but it appears to be a product of spending thirteen years networking around the league.)

When general manager Woody Donahue and other Spuds’ staff members arrived, they took their place at the back of the room. In theory, they could have stopped the press conference, but they would’ve felt bad for the reporters, some of whom traveled across the country to get here. So, they simply became spectators, and resigned to let Antolin say whatever he was going to say.

Antolin was at the podium, delivering a statement to the room before opening it up for questions.

“As we all know, the Boise Spuds are in playoff contention this season for the first time in several years. It’s an exciting time here in Boise, and nationally as well, as more markets start to notice us and what we’re doing out here. So I wanted to invite you all to get an inside scoop about the organization and our plans going forward.”

“But I want to make it very clear that we’re only here to talk about the team,” he continued. “Not about me personally, my performance, or my upcoming option year. If I hear any questions along those lines, you’re out of here. So, who’s first?”

Several reporters’ hands shot up.

“Let’s start with the guy from Nashville,” Antolin said as he pointed towards a stocky man in the first row.

“Banjo Jackson, Nashville Sun,” the man said. “You’re having a down year, and have started losing your DH job to Francisco Vega. How do you think this will affect you in free agency if the team doesn’t pick up your option?”

“God damn it. I told you this wasn’t about me.” Antolin shouted towards the clubhouse. “Get him out!”

A couple clubhouse staffers came in, grabbed Jackson, and dragged him towards the exit.

“Now, for those so kind as to follow instructions, the floor is still open.” Antolin said. “Trent Crimm III, I see you over there, amigo. Whaddaya wanna know?”

“Trent Crimm III, El Independiente,” the man said, almost robotically. “While Boise is staying in the playoff hunt, they’re still 3 and a half games out of a Wildcard spot. Does management plan on making any moves to get them over the top?”

“I can speak on behalf of management and say that we feel confident in our players at every position, which makes it difficult to identify any potential upgrades,” Antolin replied. “However, we’ll be keeping a close eye if any game-changing players become available at the trade deadline.”

“But one thing I want to stress is that the Spuds won’t be content with just making it to the playoffs. We want to go deep. So if an ace starting pitcher or a lockdown closer becomes available, someone who could make us even stronger in a short playoff series, we won’t hesitate to go out and get that player.”

“Espero que esto responda a su pregunta,” Antolin said to Crimm, in perfect Spanish.

“Sí, muchas gracias,” Crimm replied.

“Brianna,” Antolin addressed a woman with her hand raised on the left side of the room. “It’s good to see you. How are the kids?”

“Brianna Robles, Starscreams. If you’re referring to our team in Valencia, we’ve seen better days.”

She continued with her question. “The JL is incredibly deep this year, with four teams fighting for the Atlantic, and perennial powerhouses Mexico City and Las Vegas in the Frontier. How do you break into that group, let alone outlast them in October?”

“Well, it starts with proving that we belong,” Antolin said. “So far, we haven’t done that. We’re 3-7 against Mexico City, and 3-7 against Vegas. Some of the Atlantic teams have had our number too. Fortunately, we’ve been feasting on the lesser teams in the division, which has kept us in contention, but we need to do better against the big boys.”

“But I think if you look at how we’ve come together as a team in the last month or so, we’ve become a lot stronger. We hope to demonstrate between now and the end of the season that we can go head-to-head with any of those teams, and carry that momentum into the playoffs.”

Antolin pointed to another reporter. “Jarvis… Jamaris… uh, the guy from Madison. Sorry, but your name is ridiculous and I’ll never get it right.”

“In your opinion, who’s the Silk winner of the Johnson League right now?” the reporter asked.

“Ah, sneaky,” Antolin replied with a grin. “You’re trying to make me choose between one of our guys.”

Pepe and Gary have no doubt been the anchors of this team. If you look at the offensive numbers they’ve put up, they’re on another planet from the rest of the league. But the Silk discussion is interesting, and I know quite a few people are talking about that Román guy in Mexico. Let me tell you, I played with Félix for one season here, and he is the real deal.”

“But here’s the thing,” Antolin continued. “Mexico City is gonna make it to the playoffs no matter what. What Pepe and Gary are doing is singlehandedly carrying us there. Well, doublehandedly I suppose, since there’s two of them. But if we make it in, it’s 100% their doing. I think that would warrant a Silk award if it happened.”

“Now, which one of them do you give it to? That’s another question, and I don’t have an answer for you there. Maybe they can cut the trophy down the middle and give half to each of them.”

Antolin spotted another reporter towards the back. “Hey, Pieter Benchley’s here, all the way from Sydney. Glad you could make the trip out.”

The man stood up. “It’s my pleasure. You spend enough time in the GBC, you become immune to jet lag anyway. I just wanted to ask, who’s the unsung hero of the Spuds?”

“That’s easy, it’s Pete Davis.” Antolin said, without missing a beat. “You look at how he’s solidified the leadoff spot for us, getting on base as often as he does, and being one of the top base-stealers in the league. Not to mention what he’s done on defense, and his ability to play all three outfield positions. He even put me out of a job — I don’t think I’ve started in left field more than two or three times since he joined. I guess he edges me in sprint speed, but only by a little.” The room laughed.

“But no question, we wouldn’t be where we are today if it wasn’t for Pete. “And with that,” Antolin continued. “We need to bring this conference to a close, but there are plenty of refreshments if you make your way out to the club level. Just tell security I said it was okay.”
Woody Donahue
BBA GM
Boise Spuds (2047-2054)
Cairo Pharaohs - UMEBA (2046)

Vic Caleca UMEBA TN of the Year 2046

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Tater Talk (2052.08): Spuds’ Designated Hitter Commandeers Press Room for Impromptu Conference

Post by recte44 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 12:08 pm

That Jim is a stand up dude!

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: Tater Talk (2052.08): Spuds’ Designated Hitter Commandeers Press Room for Impromptu Conference

Post by Jwalk100 » Sun Oct 16, 2022 1:47 pm

Good Spanish!
ImageImageImageImageImage

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Post by lordtoffee » Tue Oct 25, 2022 4:14 pm

Coach Eric Taylor would be proud.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Fri Oct 28, 2022 8:19 am

Man, I really wanted Pete Davis to be more than he is. Such high hopes for him when I drafted the guy.
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boise Spuds”