Tater Talk (2051.03): Spuds trade for Danny Leach

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

woods
Ex-GM

Tater Talk (2051.03): Spuds trade for Danny Leach

Post by woods » Tue May 24, 2022 10:49 am

Image At the outset of the free agency period, when all the teams in the league are scrambling to outbid each other for top players, the Spuds acquired one from an unlikely source: a trade. Today they announced a trade with Rockville that will bring former Nebraska winner and three-time Egan winner Danny Leach to Boise.

Leach is a household name, known for being one of the first and most successful “super-relievers,” or relievers who pitch so many innings, their workloads rival that of most starters. Leach led the JL in ERA for three straight years, from 2043-45, which is extra impressive when you consider that it’s a feat in itself to even meet the minimum innings qualification (162) in each of those seasons while being a full-time reliever.

But Leach’s super-reliever days are over now, and since being converted to a starting pitcher in 2046 has been one of the more consistent starters in the game. He’s not winning Nebraska awards any more, but he’s almost always good for at least 200 innings and 4 WAR.

Know how many pitchers threw 200 innings for Boise last year? That’s right: none.

Leach will slot into the rotation and likely be Boise’s Opening Day starter. Boise certainly needed a front-line arm after losing three-fifths of its rotation since last July (Luis Rojas in a trade, and Amayas Moelling and Tomás Ramírez to free agency).

Spuds’ designated hitter Jim Antolin made himself available to speak to the press about the deal (he frequently gives out his Zoom number to any reporters who’ll take it).

“Danny is obviously a huge pickup for us,” he said in a Zoom call. “It’ll give us some respect around the league, having a guy who’s won a Nebraska going out there every five days. But mostly I’m just glad I’ll never have to face him again.”

Boise will also get some salary relief in the deal, with Rockville retaining 30% of Leach’s $23 million/year contract. Rockville will also send an additional $7 million to help offset Leach’s high price tag. The financial relief was an important part of the trade for Boise, and the main reason they agreed to give up several prospects in return.

So what was the damage?

Boise will send three players to Rockville, the biggest name being former first-round draft pick John McMuttray, the young catcher who made his BBA debut in September. McMuttray looked to be the catcher of the future, but with Randy Bader under contract for at least two more years, and promising growth from Hazđm Danishmend last season, Boise felt they couldn’t guarantee McMuttray a roster spot. In essence, McMuttray developed too quickly, leaving Boise with a surplus of BBA-ready catchers, so one of them had to go.

The other players going to Rockville are third baseman Richard Wright and reliever Frank Wilson, both of whom, like McMuttray, made their BBA debuts last season. To complete the deal, Rockville will send Boise 18-year-old pitching prospect Kent Johnson, the former second-round pick who is still very early in his development. Johnson will likely start the 2051 season in A-ball for Boise.

The Spuds’ front office is still keeping tabs on the free agent market, and may even pick up another starter before spring. But the addition of Leach checked a big item off the shopping list.
Woody Donahue
BBA GM
Boise Spuds (2047-2054)
Cairo Pharaohs - UMEBA (2046)

Vic Caleca UMEBA TN of the Year 2046

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Re: Tater Talk (2051.03): Spuds trade for Danny Leach

Post by chicoruiz » Tue May 24, 2022 12:00 pm

Good stuff. Having a player develop too quickly is a problem I wish I could have sometime.😀
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: Tater Talk (2051.03): Spuds trade for Danny Leach

Post by tylertoo » Tue May 24, 2022 2:27 pm

chicoruiz wrote:
Tue May 24, 2022 12:00 pm
Good stuff. Having a player develop too quickly is a problem I wish I could have sometime.😀
Especially at catcher.

I think it relates to eating those Boise potatoes.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boise Spuds”