Tater Talk (2050.10): Rojas Throws No-hitter, Immediately Gets Traded

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

woods
Ex-GM

Tater Talk (2050.10): Rojas Throws No-hitter, Immediately Gets Traded

Post by woods » Tue Apr 26, 2022 6:47 am

Image The Boise Spuds clearly believe in the art of “leaving on a high note”, because they traded away All-Star pitcher Luis Rojas just two days after he threw a no-hitter, in what was truly one of the most dominating single-game performances in the BBA this season.

San Antonio was hapless against Rojas, as he carved up the Outlaws’ bats to the tune of 12 strikeouts and only one walk allowed in a masterful 112-pitch performance.

Rojas struck out the side in the ninth to end it. Following his last pitch, a slider which had Bobby Manc so far out in front he nearly fell over, Rojas pumped his fist in the air and reveled in the moment for a brief second before getting mobbed on the mound by his teammates.

It was the third no-hitter in Spuds history, and the first since Júlio Alicea tossed one in August 2042.

"I knew I had a no-hitter going, but the game was still scoreless,” Rojas said after the game. “And I don’t buy into all that don’t-talk-to-the-pitcher nonsense, so I was going around the dugout giving the guys a hard time for not scoring for me. I think they finally scored just so I would stop talking to them.”

Cordell Vaughn finally came through with a pinch-hit solo home run to lead off the eighth inning, which was the lone run in the game.

Rojas was traded to Phoenix on Thursday in exchange for veteran outfielder Jim Lorenzen, who will share center field duties for the next two months before becoming a free agent after the season, and Jorge González, whom the Spuds believe could be their starting first baseman next year.

“Luis wasn’t someone we were actively looking to move,” explained Spuds GM Woody Donahue when asked about the sudden trade. “But naturally, when he’s all over the news after his big game, teams are going to start calling. Phoenix was willing to send us González, a guy we had liked for a while, and it just came together.”

It was also a big game for catcher Shan Guan, who had never been a part of a no-hitter before, at any level. He was the first one to mob Rojas on the mound, corralling him in a bear hug after the final out.

“I was very honored to play a part in Luis’ performance,” Guan said, through an interpreter. “I’m going to get so many texts from my family in China when they see the highlights tomorrow. I have to tell them, it was all Luis, I didn’t do anything but call a few pitches. But if my family is proud of me, that’s all that matters.”

In a thorough effort by the Spuds to erase anybody who played a part in the historic game, Guan was also optioned to Triple-A immediately afterwards.
Woody Donahue
BBA GM
Boise Spuds (2047-2054)
Cairo Pharaohs - UMEBA (2046)

Vic Caleca UMEBA TN of the Year 2046

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Re: Tater Talk (2050.10): Rojas Throws No-hitter, Immediately Gets Traded

Post by tylertoo » Tue Apr 26, 2022 7:15 am

Ruthless!
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Tue Apr 26, 2022 9:45 am

Gotta sell high!
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

JimSlade
BBA GM

Post by JimSlade » Tue Apr 26, 2022 10:26 am

That's some excellent drama, including the demotion if the catcher!

In that thing we call real life, I'm reminded of Coke Hamels throwing a no-no in his last start for the Phillies.
BBA GM, Rockville Pikemen
Former UMEBA GM, Mumbai Metro Stars
SDMB GM, Toronto Beavers

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boise Spuds”