The Benchwarmers, Taxi Squad Edition: Art O’Bryan on Living Up to All-Star Expectations

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

woods
Ex-GM

The Benchwarmers, Taxi Squad Edition: Art O’Bryan on Living Up to All-Star Expectations

Post by woods » Thu Jul 15, 2021 1:38 pm

A camera is turned on to reveal three large men crowded into the backseat of a passenger van. On the left and right are J.R. Jayne and António Romero. Jayne holds the camera. Romero sits hunched over his teammates, his 6’7” figure making the van look more like a Mini Cooper in comparison.

In between them sits Art O’Bryan, looking very cramped and annoyed.

Jayne: Welcome to another episode of “The Benchwarmers,” Taxi Squad edition!

Romero: (like a hype man) Taxi SQUAAAAD!

Jayne: It’s the trade deadline for the BBA, which means that all over the country, contingents of Triple-A players like us are being deployed to the cities of their major league counterparts.

Romero: The lucky ones are far enough that they get to fly. But since Boise is just up the road from Salt Lake City, flying was deemed an “unnecessary expense”, so we get to drive. Hence the term… Taxi SQUAAAAD!

Jayne: It’s a weird situation, because we’re not even guaranteed roster spots when we get there. You see, since the deadline is at 3 p.m., teams that could possibly make trades this afternoon need to have the replacement players already on the way the ballpark, so they can still play with a full roster for their game at 7. But what usually happens is we get there, find out there’s been no trade, and have to get back in the car for the five-hour drive back to Salt Lake City.

Romero: The goal is to not make the trip back. And that’s my plan — it’s why I packed for a long stay.

He pats his oversized suitcase, which is crammed underneath the seat, wedged against O’Bryan’s legs.

O’Bryan: You could’ve at least put that thing in the trunk.

Jayne: Ah! I almost forgot to introduce our special guest! So, we figured since we’ve got five hours in a van together — maybe ten — why not do an exclusive interview for the fans? (looks at O’Bryan) Especially since we’re in the company of greatness.

O’Bryan is not flattered. He clearly didn’t consent to this.

Romero: You probably know Art O’Bryan from his days with the Brooklyn Robins. He’s a 2-time All-Star, and somewhat of a hero for his performance in the 2042 Doubleday Series. I know I was just 16 at the time, playing in Copenhagen, but I remember watching those games. This man was unstoppable.

O’Bryan: Yep, won Doubleday MVP, got me a nice pay raise in arbitration for my efforts. Looked like I was on the cusp of a really nice career in the Show. And, well, now I’m driving through backcountry Utah in a van.

Jayne: Why don’t you tell us the story from your perspective. What happened after you were cut by Brooklyn?

O’Bryan: Man, the thing about first base is it’s a very volatile job. Once you stop hitting, that’s it — you’re cut. No amount of defense will help you keep your job, because it’s a hitters’ position. So I’m like, okay, I get it, I’m not hitting home runs like I used to, so maybe I’m not worth $8 million. But I had one rough year. I was sure I could come back, and that my swing would come back too — I might just have to settle for a smaller contract.

Jayne: So what happened?

O’Bryan: They broke off talks. So there I was, I knew I could still play, but no teams wanted me. They’d look at my stats page, see “first base” with only six home runs, and they’d move on. I thought, surely I could hit off the bench for some team. Or even be a DH. My agent told me a team actually turned me down as a DH because I was “too good at defense”. Now ain’t that some shit.

Romero: Well, we've been really lucky to have you in Salt Lake City.

Jayne: Yeah, it’s been great having your veteran leadership around.

O’Bryan: “Veteran”… y’all know I’m only 26, right? This is not the story of some old geezer trying to make it back in the twilight of his career. I’ve got plenty of good years still ahead of me. I just need some reps to get my swing back.

Romero: So, what happened to your swing? Why do you think you stopped hitting?

O’Bryan: Now that’s the thing that keeps me up at night. The truth is, I don’t know. I think part of it was the expectations that come with being a “star” player. All of a sudden, there’s a certain level of performance that’s expected. When you stop hitting the homers, or your average dips, the media starts to ask you, “What’s wrong?” So then, you start pressing to try to get back on track, which just messes you up worse. There was much less pressure when I was 21. I was never a top prospect, so no one expected anything. So no matter what I did on the field, the media would only focus on the positives.

Jayne: So you think being branded as a “star” led to too much pressure to play like one?

O’Bryan: Oh yeah. I think the realization came at the All-Star game in ’44. They really make it a show — they roll out the red carpet, everybody wants an interview with you— (pauses, looks back and forth at Jayne and Romero) —and not like this. I mean a real interview.

Romero looks taken aback.

O’Bryan: Anyway, the night before the game, Dan Cannon took us all out on the town, and he dropped $20K in the VIP out of his own pocket. I was like, this is how All-Stars live. I’m part of this group now.

Jayne: Dan the Man. Never struck me as that big of a partier.

O’Bryan: Oh, he was. Anyway, after the break, I got back home and realized the extra responsibility that came with the role. I’m the guy who should be coming through in big situations. I’m the guy who everyone wants at the plate with the game on the line. And after I failed one too many times in those spots, people started to question my “star” title. Fans booed me. They were mad that I wasn’t meeting their expectations. And when the fans turn against you, it’s hard to win them back, especially in Brooklyn.

Jayne: That’s gotta be tough. I much prefer being unknown. Every time I take the mound, I can almost hear all the fans asking, “who the heck is this guy?”

Romero: I’ve got a question for you. You guys have both played in The Show. Well, tonight could be my first game. What’s it like, your first time out there?

O’Bryan: You’re running on so much adrenaline that you do things you didn’t even know you were capable of. I made a play on a bullet down the first base line, don’t know how I came up with it. Just looked down at my glove and it was there. It’s like somebody else was driving that day. The best part was, after that, they put it on my scouting report that I was a plus defender. So thanks for that. Probably earned me an extra million or so in arbitration.

Jayne: Mine was in Phoenix. I gave up a bomb to Pedro Guzmán which I still don’t think has landed yet.

O’Bryan: My advice is try not to think about it. It won’t be the picturesque moment you’re envisioning, ninth inning, game on the line, with a chance to win it in front of the home fans. It’ll never be that.

Jayne: Yeah, it’ll be the sixth inning of a blowout. Which, coincidentally, is still the only situation they ever bring me in to pitch.

Romero: (looks out the window) Hey, we’re crossing the state line. Welcome to Idaho!

Jayne: Only another couple hours to Boise.

Romero: Hours? I swear, I will never get used to how big this country is. Can we stop and get something to eat?

Jayne: I’ll ask the driver. Anyone got money?

O’Bryan: I think I can treat for this one, guys.
Woody Donahue
BBA GM
Boise Spuds (2047-2054)
Cairo Pharaohs - UMEBA (2046)

Vic Caleca UMEBA TN of the Year 2046

Jwalk100
GB: FL Pacific Division Director

Re: The Benchwarmers, Taxi Squad Edition: Art O’Bryan on Living Up to All-Star Expectations

Post by Jwalk100 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 2:48 pm

This one is getting on my Caleca vote list.
ImageImageImageImageImage

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boise Spuds”