Tater Talk: 2040.15 – Spring Training News and Notes

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

jleddy
Ex-GM

Tater Talk: 2040.15 – Spring Training News and Notes

Post by jleddy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:35 pm

Image Boise's second-year general manager Joe Lederer stressed last month that he expects Boise to be much improved from last year's club that went 77-85. If the team's 10-5 record halfway through spring training is any indication, it seems Lederer isn't just giving out empty promises.

"Well, it is just the spring," Lederer reminded the media. "Weird things happen during these exhibition games. Teams are still rounding into shape. A lot of prospects and fringe players trying to make the roster tend to see the majority of playing time through fifteen games. I'm happy how we've looked so far but we shouldn't be patting ourselves on the back in March."

Several of the Spuds' own young players are having excellent springs so far, starting with the team's top two prospects. Shortstop Motonobu Yamashita gave the team a scare when he pulled up lame in Boise's first game of the spring but the talented 21-year-old only missed four games and has returned swinging a hot bat. In 27 plate appearances, "Goldie" is slashing .360/.407/.600, with two triples and a stolen base. Yamashita is currently in a battle for the open shortstop position with veterans Norm Smith (.278/.316/.389 this spring) and Joaquín Torres (.357/.438/.571). Budding superstar Félix Román busted out of the gate, slugging three home runs in the team's first five games. Román has cooled off but still sports a slash line of .250/.345/.604 this spring at just twenty years of age. Not to be outdone is 21-year-old Ricardo Ruíz, who has popped three spring dingers en route to a .944 OPS.

It should come to no surprise that Dennis French finds himself across the spring training leaderboards, hitting .404/.446/.712 in twelve starts. One encouraging sign has been the play from new Spud Rob Thomas, who was brought over in a winter trade with Yellow Springs to battle for the third base job. In nine games, the former All-Star is hitting .500 with a handful of extra-base hits. Right fielder Pedro Holguín, a reserve for Boise in 2039, has stepped up his play in attempts to not only make the final 27-man roster, but insert himself into the conversation of starting corner outfielder. In eleven starts, Holguin has shown his keen batting eye, logging seven walks to only one strikeout, all contributing to a slash line of .292/.485/.458.

Penciled-in starters Hank Brewer (.508 OPS) and Ramón Vela (.469 OPS) have struggled in the early going. A major decline from their 2039 seasons -- 4.3 and 2.0 WAR respectively -- could spell trouble for the upstart Spuds.

While a majority of the pitching performances to date are less than excellent, Boise pitchers are compiling strikeouts at a much higher rate than they did last year. "It's early, guys are still shaking off the rust from the winter," said pitching coach Bob Blaisdell. "We're really focusing on limiting our guys' workloads in the spring until the last two weeks. Most of the progress we've seen has been during instructionals or side sessions. We've really moved towards a more scientific approach in pitch design and taking these results and applying them to real game scenarios."

Over the off-season, Boise invested in Rapsodo and Trackman technology not only at Grigg Memorial Stadium, but all home fields in the organization's minors as well as their spring training facility. Last year, Boise was near the bottom in the Frick for walks allowed and strikeout rate. During the off-season, Lederer signed several under-the-radar power arms to help improve their metrics and not rely too much on what should be an excellent overall team defense.

"This PITCHf/x data is new to an old guy like me," laughed Blaisdell. "But I know this is where the game is going and we plan to be on the forefront of this movement. I think we'll see it take affect on the diamond this year, you just watch."

In conjuction with the new 2040 Brewster Baseball Association schedule, Boise released their promotional schedule for all home games this year:

DateOpponentPromotion
April 7CalgaryHome Opening Day/Magnetic Team Schedule Giveaway
April 8CalgaryJohnson League Frontier Division Poster Giveaway
April 10Charm CityTeam Batting Helmet/$5 All-You-Can-Eat Loaded Fries Presented by Ore-Ida™
April 13JacksonvilleFriday Night Fireworks
April 24Las VegasPoker Chip Set Giveaway (Adults 18+)
May 10MontrealSunglasses Giveaway
May 19PhoenixHank Brewer T-Shirt Jersey Giveaway
May 25CharlotteFriday Night Fireworks
June 8CalgaryFriday Night Fireworks
June 12BrooklynTeam Trading Card Set Giveaway
June 29Las VegasFriday Night Fireworks
July 4BrooklynPatriotic Spuds Hat Giveaway/Fourth of July Fireworks
July 13Atlantic CityFriday Night Fireworks
July 18EdmontonDennis French Autographed Mini Bat Giveaway
August 1MontrealSpuds Socks Presented by Stance™
August 3WichitaFriday Night Fireworks
August 17New OrleansFriday Night Fireworks
August 28Mexico CityBack-To-School Backpack Giveaway (Kids under 18)
August 31EdmontonFriday Night Fireworks
September 14PhoenixFriday Night Fireworks
September 19San AntonioPancho Germán Bobblehead Giveaway
September 21San AntonioFriday Night Fireworks
September 26WichitaSpuds Beanie Giveaway
September 28Mexico CityFriday Night Fireworks
October 1Mexico CityFan Appreciation Day

Image The first 5000 fans will be treated with a set of logo'd poker chips
on April 24th when Boise hosts Las Vegas.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

crobillard
Ex-GM

Re: Tater Talk: 2040.15 – Spring Training News and Notes

Post by crobillard » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:21 pm

pfft posting that I do a lot of work on my TNs. This is on another level sir. Get out.

bschr682
Ex-GM

Post by bschr682 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 6:21 pm

Nice
GM Vancouver Mounties

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:01 pm

Now, a truly next level move would be actually getting a set of those made!

By the way, French is starting to seem like kind of a showoff. Just sayin' ...

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:08 pm

HoosierVic wrote:
Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:01 pm
Now, a truly next level move would be actually getting a set of those made!

By the way, French is starting to seem like kind of a showoff. Just sayin' ...
Trade me Moelling and Nicto so I can have some stellar pitching performances throughout the year, then I won't be forced to only gush over French.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:46 pm

Or, I could trade you Ismael Rivera so he could stand out in even sharper relief ...

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:09 pm

I can see the future already....

Dennis French
07/19/2040 Injured (Carpal Tunnel Syndrome after signing 40,000 bats), out for 5 months.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:29 am

Kind of skimpy on the potato-related giveaways, Joe. You come out talking about such a nice crop of new Spuds this year, yet you selfishly hoard the fried abominations to yourself. Greedy.
Sacramento Mad Popes
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
— The Heartland Sucks
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054, 2058
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boise Spuds”