Tater Talk: 2039.38 – Spuds Spirits Up With Trade for Bakitski

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

jleddy
Ex-GM

Tater Talk: 2039.38 – Spuds Spirits Up With Trade for Bakitski

Post by jleddy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:19 am

Image In his biggest in-season move to date, first-year general manager Joe Lederer swung a deal with the Calgary Pioneers, acquiring closer Timofei Bakitski in exchange for two minor league prospects.

"We're excited for several reasons to add Vodak," Lederer told media at an introductory press conference. "He's a very well-respected and popular player around the league, so immediately he's going to add important veteran presence to our clubhouse, as well as someone the Boise faithful can really root for. Additionally, we think the change from Calgary to Boise, with our defense, is going to really help out Vodak's numbers. We realize it's been a tough season for him this year but his track record shows what kind of player he can be."

Known as "Vodak", which is the name of his successful vodka enterprise, Bakitski joins a Boise defense that ranks second in the Frick in zone rating, whereas Calgary is currently 12th. The Russian right-hander is a two-time All-Star and Egan Award winner, but is putting up career-worst numbers across the board with a 9.95 ERA, 1.83 WHIP and eight blown saves. For his career, the 32-year-old Bakitski has collected 267 saves for Phoenix and Calgary, with an ERA of 3.61 and 1.20 WHIP.

"I have enjoyed my time in Calgary and wish those guys well the rest of the year," Bakitski said. "I am excited to start fresh with the Spuds. I believe I can be a better pitcher than I have shown this season."

Critics are questioning Lederer's willingness to trade with a division foe like Calgary, and some are wondering if the addition of Bakitski is more of a novelty, given Boise has Pancho Germán, who is the face of his own tequila start-up brand, TELIQUA.

"You can't be afraid to deal within your division," Lederer responded. "If you see value and talent that's going to improve your ballclub, you do it, hands down. And to those flat-earthers who think we added Vodak for some marketing ploy, I couldn't care less. Let them think that. At the end of the day, I believe our team improved and if we want any chance at making the post-season, we need to scratch out every win possible. Vodak is going to help us, we can't afford to give away close games."

Heading to Calgary in the deal is 20-year-old Double-A outfielder Myeong-Hwan Kim (.271/.307/.436 in 31 games) and 21-year-old Single-A pitcher Frank Boland (1-2, 4.02 ERA in seven starts). Kim and Boland were Boise's 17th and 11th-ranked prospects, respectively, according to the Baseball Broadcast Network.

Bakitski's contract will pay him $9M next season with a player option in 2041 that could earn him $10M.

Image Boise manager Barrett Callahan is all smiles with his new closer, Timofei Bakitski, who is
expected to join the club in Boise and be available for Thursday's game against Wichita.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: Tater Talk: 2039.38 – Spuds Spirits Up With Trade for Bakitski

Post by RonCo » Thu Aug 01, 2019 1:21 am

Interesting deal.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

shoeless.db
BBA GM

Post by shoeless.db » Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:20 am

There's nothing to do in Idaho but drink and make babies, so this works.
Sacramento Mad Popes (unretired)
-- Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner 2052
-- BBA Champion 2053
-- Pacific Champs 2040, 2042, 2043, 2047, 2048, 2049, 2051, 2053, 2054
Life is a bit more beautiful when time is measured by the half inning rather than the half hour.

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:16 am

Nice work on the photo with the jersey and the Spuds backdrop - that’s some serious attention to detail!

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:39 am

HoosierVic wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 9:16 am
Nice work on the photo with the jersey and the Spuds backdrop - that’s some serious attention to detail!
I have no idea what you're talking about.

(You left out the chinstrap I had to give Vodak...)

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Thu Aug 01, 2019 11:41 am

shoeless.db wrote:
Thu Aug 01, 2019 8:20 am
There's nothing to do in Idaho but drink and make babies, so this works.
I've seen the women in Idaho so it putting "drink" before "make babies" is actually chronologically correct.

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boise Spuds”