Tater Talk: 2039.13 – Spuds Shock Baseball World, Economists

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

jleddy
Ex-GM

Tater Talk: 2039.13 – Spuds Shock Baseball World, Economists

Post by jleddy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:33 am

Image The Boise Spuds three-game losing streak couldn't put a damper on Saturday's impromptu press conference held by general manager Joe Lederer and manager Barrett Callahan. In front of a small collection of local media and one lone beat reporter from the Baseball News Network, Lederer shocked those in attendance by announcing the team's signing of free agent hold-outs Egbert Behner and Alfredo Salazar. The room instantly became a buzz with questions and the electronic clicking of cell phones feverishly pounding out the breaking news to social media.

"Before we take any questions, our manager, our excited manager, has a few words," Lederer told the media. "Ladies and gentleman, Barrett Callahan."

Barrett, grinning ear-to-ear, cleared his throat as he adjusted the microphone on the table in front of him. "Not your every day spring training post-game media session, eh?," Barrett said with a chuckle. "When [owner] Mr. Grigg and I met with Joe in his interview, which seems like just yesterday, he had a bold vision. I liked what I heard from him but I've heard false promises from general managers before. Joe came up big, this is an absolutely monumental day in Spuds history. I'm excited to have Eggy and Fredo join the team. Everyone here thinks they are a perfect fit."

"What were the terms?," asked a reporter in the back of the room.

"I'm a baseball guy, through and through. I can count to three outs and nine innings, that's about it. I'll leave the numbers to the brains," Barrett said as he looked over to the general manager to a chorus of laughter.

"I know you can count to twelve...I've seen you eat donuts. Haha, anyways, like Barrett said, I laid out a series of goals for this team and how we were going to reach them," Lederer chimed in with. "One of the main objective was to improve the team through free agency only if we could keep our budget flexible for the future. I feel we've done that with these two signings. And I want to thank Mr. Grigg with allow us to extend these types of contracts. Our payroll has never been higher."

Lederer pulled out an index card and started reading the details. "We signed Egbert Behner to a two-year deal totaling $50M and we see him immediately stepping in as our #1 pitcher. Alfredo Salazar was also signed for two years at a total of $27M, with the second year vesting should Fredo be healthy for us. This is a future Hall of Famer that we believe still has some pop in his bat and can really show our kids what winning is all about"

"How long have these talks been going on?," asked a local newspaper writer.

"We've been in talks with Eggy since free agency opened. I made what I thought was a fair deal and we've been negotiating with him and his agent for weeks but I would not budge on more than two years. I made a promise to this team -- and to the fans -- and I feel these deals add talent but keep us in great shape financially for the future."

"And Savage?," the same writer quickly follows up with.

"There were some other players we lost out on this winter but when those fell thru, we had some earmarked money we were willing to spend," said Lederer. "We only just started speaking with Fredo's people last week. This happened quickly and we couldn't be happier with the outcome. Okay, I know you have a lot of questions and we'll be sure to make myself or Barrett available for comment before tomorrow's game. We plan on holding a formal press conference to introduce the two newest Spuds later this week. Thank you all and have a good night."

Behner's front-loaded deal will pay the pitcher $27M in 2039 and $23M in 2040. Salazar's contract is for $15.5M in 2039 and the following year vests at 500 plate appearances for $11.5M, his age 39 season.
"My $#!? doesn't work in the playoffs." - Billy Beane Joe Lederer

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Re: Tater Talk: 2039.13 – Spuds Shock Baseball World, Economists

Post by recte44 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 12:35 am

Seems right

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:18 am

I think I love both of those contracts. There's almost no such thing as a bad one year deal... which is what savage's is... and Boise is in almost the perfect spot to over pay on Behner's deal.

And here I thought we're might actually manage to sign him.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:30 am

Thanks, Ron...I'm thrilled.

As noted in the article, we were in on Behner from the start of free agency (aside from the first sim when I was yet under control of Boise)...we had quite the negotiations:

1st offer: $84/4 ($21 AAV) with first two years heavily front loaded
Counter: Behner asked for $144/6 ($24 AAV)
2nd offer: I came back with $61/2 ($30.5 AAV)...Behner's agent should be fired
Counter: Behner declined and when he passed, I didn't even think to counter because I wasn't going more than 4 years or the last offer for 2 years
Counter #2: Behner came back to the table after the sim asking for $96/4 ($24 AAV)
3rd (and final, and winning) offer: $50/2 ($25 AAV)

I'd be interesting to see what your offers were...

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 1:33 am

I'll drop them here in the morning.
Roster

bcslouck
BBA GM

Post by bcslouck » Sun Jun 23, 2019 9:38 am

I offered 4/$72M with a player opt-out after year 2 and TO's in years 3 and 4. Last offer was 2/$40M with a player opt-out and TO. Nice signings.
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

niles08
BBA GM

Post by niles08 » Sun Jun 23, 2019 10:29 am

I really like these signings! Here comes Boise!

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:50 am

First Round: 16(OptO)/14/12(PO)/12(VO) (+bonuses) - Just putting my hat in the ring
Second Round: 17(OptO)/14/13(PO)/12(TO 2.5 BO) (+bonuses) - Just keeping it in the ring
Third Round: 20(OptO)/15/13(PO)/12 (T0) (+bonues) - Getting a bit more serious
Fourth Round: 20(OptO)/18/12(PO)/12(TO) (+bonues) - Making an offer I thought could possibly win

The bonus cash I was giving varied a little, but was basicall $2.5M for 100ish IP, and then standard Neb/AS things.

So in context I had offered another year (or two) than you, but at considerably less cash in the first two. Was hoping.
Roster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 11:52 am

2nd offer: I came back with $61/2 ($30.5 AAV)...Behner's agent should be fired
That's an interesting one.
Roster

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:30 pm

I had an offer out for Savage. It was like $5 million this year, then like $15-18 mil next year and an expensive option for year 3 based on plate appearances. Plus lots of bonus money.

Of course my owned upped my budget for this year again after the sim. I probably would have had a better structure if he was still available now. But Gillstrom still has no offers.... hmmm.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:35 pm

Glad to see Boise spending, having a payroll in the 40 mill range is not good for the overall sake of the league and too much talent in Boise not to add.

jleddy
Ex-GM

Post by jleddy » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:38 pm

handaspencer wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:35 pm
Glad to see Boise spending, having a payroll in the 40 mill range is not good for the overall sake of the league and too much talent in Boise not to add.
Yeah, there was a team about twenty years ago in a league called Major League Baseball...they had a superstar centerfield who could do it all and they surrounded him with crap for years and he never ended up close to winning a ring. I didn't want to see that happen in Boise.

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:44 pm

jleddy wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:38 pm
handaspencer wrote:
Sun Jun 23, 2019 3:35 pm
Yeah, there was a team about twenty years ago in a league called Major League Baseball...they had a superstar centerfield who could do it all and they surrounded him with crap for years and he never ended up close to winning a ring. I didn't want to see that happen in Boise.
If you can just get Boise to the playoffs a guy like French can take over and carry you. He is a special talent.

ae37jr
BBA GM

Post by ae37jr » Sun Jun 23, 2019 4:08 pm

I agree. You either needed to build a team around French or trade him. I don't know which is right and which is wrong, but being stuck in the middle and wasting his prime cheap seasons would have been the worst possible outcome.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

RonCo

Post by RonCo » Sun Jun 23, 2019 8:33 pm

Trading French to yellow springs is the right thing to do.
Roster

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boise Spuds”