2038.4 - Return to Reality

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

Bumstead
Ex-GM

2038.4 - Return to Reality

Post by Bumstead » Wed Apr 03, 2019 12:02 pm

Boise fans got all excited after that 5-1 week. After going 3-9 the last two weeks reality has set in...We've only been outscored by 15 in 30 games...So half a run a game...doesn't seem like much until you look at Boise's bullpen. Our bullpen ERA is 5.00...We are 3-10 in 1-run games...RP's aren't valuable huh? Meanwhile the league has decided to reduce Compensation Picks in relation to Relief Pitchers in part because their WAR is generally less than other players...Relief Pitcher WAR? :crazylaugh: Is Relief Pitcher WAR as accurate as Defensive WAR (one of my favorite "tools" to never use)? I know I'm not much as far as OOTP GM's go, but I will tell you (and please discount it or don't believe it) that a very good bullpen with a top closer can take a team a long, long way not only during the season, but also through the playoffs. The value of really good Relief Pitchers is humorously ignored by the saber crowd that focus' on their WAR #'s.

Unfortunately, Boise's bullpen won't be going about proving my statement above is correct as their level of suckitude is quite high on the scale. Case in point, Bill Pidduck, my closer, is allowing a home run every 3 2/3 innings...So, every 4th, 7th, 11th, 14th, etc. game he is going to allow a home run...How do I count on that at the end of the game? Of course, one might suggest that he's having a bad run and I guess I would hope so...But, with the change in ratings, I have no idea whether he hasn't taken a shit in ratings or if the way we look at ratings now just lowered his "stuff." Therein lies the problem with that change, you can't judge whether your players are worse or the same as they were before when they are performing poorly....you just get to compare apples to oranges... :deadhorse: Anyway, so, Pidduck has only blown 2 of 7 saves (only...) but he also has 6 games where he came in and turned a game into a loss with his poor efforts. Maybe I could insert Samuel Cant into the role as he "cant" seem to allow a run. Whatever, it's 8 innings...Dave Walsh would probably be the best choice but why would I use that 9 stamina in a closer role...I need him eating up important innings in the middle of the game when Brooks and Sanchez only make it through 5 innings because they are terrible...

Anyway, it doesn't matter. Boise will have to ride it out this season and I may just abolish the closer role altogether before all is said and done. Hopefully y'all enjoyed another crappy TN from Boise...We are just sitting around like a bunch of potatoes growing eyes in a cellar...

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2038.4 - Return to Reality

Post by RonCo » Wed Apr 03, 2019 6:46 pm

I admit I enjoy a good ol' crappy TN.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

HoosierVic
Ex-GM

Post by HoosierVic » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:30 pm

Gotta agree on the value of bullpens ... just ask the Cubs how they're doing without one.

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:32 pm

You're right to keep Walsh in a role other than closer, heck, you could goof around with the "stopper" and "high leverage" tags with him and see what happens.

The thing I love about rebuilding seasons (and granted I havent had many of late) is the chance to truly experiment.

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:50 pm

recte44 wrote:
Wed Apr 03, 2019 8:32 pm
You're right to keep Walsh in a role other than closer, heck, you could goof around with the "stopper" and "high leverage" tags with him and see what happens.

The thing I love about rebuilding seasons (and granted I haven't had many of late) is the chance to truly experiment.
I haven't messed with "stopper" much. I've heard people say it over uses guys, but I don't really know.

I LOVE the high leverage tag. Since I started using it, the right guys are getting in at the right time a lot more often. I do have everyone set as middle relief though, so that the tags (high leverage, low leverage, etc) are theoretically the only decision make from a scheme standpoint. I don't know if that still works if you have other guys "traditional roles".
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boise Spuds”