2037.8 - Boise Wonders: Is Trade Rape a BBA Pastime?

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

Bumstead
Ex-GM

2037.8 - Boise Wonders: Is Trade Rape a BBA Pastime?

Post by Bumstead » Fri Mar 01, 2019 1:56 pm

Dug Riddler wanders into Mr. Palin's office.

DR: I heard through the grapevine that you have been fielding offers for Yunosuke Terada...He's one of our best young players you know.
Jeff Palin: I can't even pronounce his name Dug and I would debate the "fielding offers" comment.
DR: So you haven't sought out offers for him?
JP: I didn't seek out any offers for anybody Dug. On a side note though, if as the General Manager of this team I decide I want to trade Yuno who, then I think I will go ahead and do it. Is that alright with you?
DR: I just think we should keep our good young players and build around them is all I was saying.
JP: I think I've been down this road before Dug.
DR: You are right...sorry...
JP: Gee thanks Dug. Anything else I can clear up while we are meeting on this Sunday morning for whatever reason?
DR: Uh, do you mind sharing the offers? I would like to know what the market is like here in the BBA...
JP: Offers? Comical...If trade rape is the current market, then we are in for a long haul in the BBA.
JP: To be fair, the first "GM" just inquired as to what I would be looking for in return. Of course once I suggested that I would be interested in one of his better young players in return for one of Boise's better young players, I got the 'ole: "well, I'm on my phone right now, but in like an hour I can look in game and I will get back to you."
DR: And?
JP: Seriously Dug? They don't get back to you after that. They were hoping for a free lunch and found out that they would have to pay fair value for said lunch...they aren't coming back. I'm sure they have a GM or 4 that they periodically slip it to unsuspected like. I didn't even care that he didn't respond again. No need to hear back how bad my player is and how great "his" player is and on an on...gives me a headache just thinking about that interaction and it never even occurred...
DR: Was there another "offer?" (Dug does the whole quote motion naturally)
JP: Oh sure, except I hadn't even pulled my pants down or assumed the position...
JP: In a nutshell the GM in question said: "Why don't you give me Ben Dover and then I will give you back Ben Dover. Wait, but there's more! I will also "give" you a shitty player, Phil McCracken, who makes $17M per for the next 3-4 years. How does that sound? You think we can work around those parameters?"
DR: Seriously? What did you say?
JP: I responded nicely and said: I would be happy to talk about a trade that made sense to me.
DR: That's it?
JP: Basically.
DR: Why didn't you tell him what you thought? It's not like you are a rookie GM or something.
JP: Why burst his bubble Dug? I'm sure in his mind he thought he was raping me, but that I either wouldn't notice and he'd steal my player and get rid of his ridiculous contract while giving up nothing or that by proposing a rape that I would, for whatever reason, find that appealing enough to negotiate further...I didn't. It's weird, but I find Trade Rape or the offering of Trade Rape to be offensive and then I have no desire to negotiate further.
JP: Who knows Dug...you get GM's in most leagues that go around trying to fleece the newer GM's regardless of their experience. The fact of the matter is that it is offensive to go around and do it at all to any GM.
JP: Anyway Dug, enough about BBA stupidity, grab that bottle of Wild Turkey and let's start this week off with a bang!
DR: Gitty up!

bcslouck
BBA GM

Re: 2037.8 - Boise Wonders: Is Trade Rape a BBA Pastime?

Post by bcslouck » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:09 pm

:crazylaugh:
Brandon Slouck
Rocky Mountain Oysters (2058 - present)
Cairo Pharaohs (2057)
Charm City Jimmies (2029 - 2049)
Paris Patriots (2028)

handaspencer
GBC GM

Post by handaspencer » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:27 pm

As a new gm to this league I know how it typically works. Test the gm to see if you can steal a deal. Fortunately this has not occurred to me yet in this league but I have my antenna up looking for the vultures.

Ted
Ex-GM

Post by Ted » Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:39 pm

I don't know how to do the actual phonetic spelling stuff, but this is easier anyway.

Yu is pronounced like "you", a y sound followed by a long u.

No is a long O sound, so pronounced "No" but it runs into the -suke part as detailed below

Suke - It's more like 1 syllables than 2. All of the "-suke"'s sound more like an "S" sound at the end of the previous syllable followed by a "KAY" sound with a long A, don't over pronounce the "Y". It's a short, harsh KAY. In fact, you can err on the side of short and harsh with all Japanese and be right most of the time. English is a slow, drawling language by comparison.

The emphasis is largely on NOS, some on the YOU. So it's you-NOS-kay, and you run the last two syllables together a bit as NOSkay.

I'm sure actual Japanese speakers hear something different (as we all lose the ability to make and appreciate sounds we don't hear in our own languages as we age), but this is close enough.
Ted Schmidt
Twin Cities Typing Nightmares(2044-present)
California Crusaders (2021-2038)

Bumstead
Ex-GM

Post by Bumstead » Fri Mar 01, 2019 3:31 pm

Ted wrote:
Fri Mar 01, 2019 2:39 pm
I don't know how to do the actual phonetic spelling stuff, but this is easier anyway.

Yu is pronounced like "you", a y sound followed by a long u.

No is a long O sound, so pronounced "No" but it runs into the -suke part as detailed below

Suke - It's more like 1 syllables than 2. All of the "-suke"'s sound more like an "S" sound at the end of the previous syllable followed by a "KAY" sound with a long A, don't over pronounce the "Y". It's a short, harsh KAY. In fact, you can err on the side of short and harsh with all Japanese and be right most of the time. English is a slow, drawling language by comparison.

The emphasis is largely on NOS, some on the YOU. So it's you-NOS-kay, and you run the last two syllables together a bit as NOSkay.

I'm sure actual Japanese speakers hear something different (as we all lose the ability to make and appreciate sounds we don't hear in our own languages as we age), but this is close enough.
So...you are saying that it's not you-no-Suck-eh?

agrudez
Ex-GM

Post by agrudez » Wed Mar 06, 2019 10:44 am

He's right-handed - obviously a bum. I'd give you some turquoise jewelry, but that's about it.

PS. Two GMs inquired about the same player that wasn't on the block within a short period of time? That's a bit curious. Maybe they are roaming in packs. GM1 offers a turd. GM2 follows up by offering a PB+J with a bit taken out of the corner. You start to think... that's two GMs that didn't think highly of this guy - maybe that's really his market value? And, of the two offers, obviously anything is better than a turd... maybe I should just cut my losses now?
League Director: Kyle “agrudez” Stever*
*Also serves as chief muckraker
-Ron, 2025 media guide

7teen
BBA GM

Post by 7teen » Thu Mar 07, 2019 8:27 pm

I’m going to wait 30 more seasons and call “Trade Rape” on Randy for taking Maldonado.
Chris Wilson

LB Surfers 95-96
FL Pac Champs: 95

Madison Wolves 99-2039
JL MW: 99-2009, 17, 20, 21
JL WC: 12
JL: 01, 04, 09, 12
FL Heartland: 32
FL WC: 31, 33
BBA Champs: 04, 09

Portland Lumberjacks 2040-
FL Pacific: 50
FL WC: 49, 51
FL Champs: 49, 51

Vic Caleca TN of the Year 2046

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Post by RonCo » Sun Mar 10, 2019 12:25 am

It will be interesting to see if Godzilla bounces back. Good return from injury was a little less than inspiring, but he's still got the ratings.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Post by Fat Nige » Sun Mar 10, 2019 5:33 am

I know the feeling, if you’re a losing club the first thing you can rely on so someone offering you their overpaid veterans for the one or two decent players you might have. Like it’s the best way to go, give up your star and take our very expensive player that was good 20 years ago, failing of course to add why on earth that would benefit you?
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boise Spuds”