2035.19 The Gang Plans a Retirement Party

GM: Ben Teague

Moderator: cheekimonk

starfox64
Ex-GM

2035.19 The Gang Plans a Retirement Party

Post by starfox64 » Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:45 pm

BOISE, ID - It's no secret that the best days on the diamond for former MVP Antonio Sanchez are behind him.

The Venezuelan native certainly won't leave his mark in the Boise Spuds history books, as he announced his plans to retire at the end of the season just over a month after being traded to the organization from the Long Beach Surfers. And yet, when the 5-time All-Star informed the team of decision as they gathered in the locker room after a tough loss to the Calgary Pioneers, the players sat in a stunned silence.

"I don't really know how to say this," Sanchez said. "But I got an offer from BNN Broadcasting to do some play-by-play next year. The body's beginning to creak a little bit, and I'm not getting any younger -- I've decided to retire from baseball and accept the position."

At first, no one moved a muscle, quiet washing over their thoughts. Then Bill "Love Machine" Marsh, who was sitting on a training bench icing his elbow, yelled out from the corner.

"Ay Sanchez! We're gonna throw you the best damn retirement party the city of Boise has ever seen, you hear?"

Sanchez smiled. The locker room erupted in hoots, hollers and applause. Then, they quickly got to work.

The players kicked Sanchez out of the room, locking the door behind him.

Felipe Murillo took charge, as he often has this season, ordering teammates around as they transformed the room into a shrine for Sanchez, plastering the walls with embarrassing freeze frames of the first baseman slowly chugging around the bases and making defensive errors throughout his career in the BBA. Murillo also ordered a cake from the local bakery, instructing the baker to pen Sanchez's dubious 2035 stat line in icing on the top.

As a final touch, Marsh rolled out a speaker, and began to blast music from Sanchez's favorite Venezuelan band, Los Amigos Invisibles. Then, they opened the doors and Sanchez stepped in, looking around with wonder.

Tears in his eyes, he made eye contact with every player in the locker room, none of whom had left even though it was several hours after the game had ended. Sanchez had known these men for a smaller number of days (44) than the number of home runs (49) he had hit 11 long years ago, but it was clear this was a gesture that had come from a team who truly cared about him, and about all he had done in his illustrious career.

After locking eyes with Marsh, who was at the furthest corner of the locker room, Sanchez cleared his throat and wiped tears from his cheeks.

"Thank you," he said. "I'm going to miss this."

RonCo
GB: JL Frontier Division Director

Re: 2035.19 The Gang Plans a Retirement Party

Post by RonCo » Tue Jul 31, 2018 11:26 pm

Great read.
GM: Bikini Krill
Nothing Matters But the Pacific Pennant
Roster

JimBob2232
BBA GM

Post by JimBob2232 » Wed Aug 01, 2018 4:19 am

Yep. Hof vote for me. Maybe not the first year (because I like to reserve that for the beat of the best), but he is worthy.

Spiccoli
Ex-GM

Post by Spiccoli » Wed Aug 01, 2018 9:16 am

Fun note

Even though he only was in Twin Cities for one season, I think he’ll be the first player to wear a River Monster uniform and go to the Hall of Fame (potentially).

He had a nice season too and helped power TWC’s first playoff run.
Scott Piccoli GM Twin Cities

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Boise Spuds”