Poblanotes 52.3- Diary of Eugenio Asseldonk

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Poblanotes 52.3- Diary of Eugenio Asseldonk

Post by chicoruiz » Thu Sep 15, 2022 8:44 pm

One of my Hispanic former teammates, whose English wasn’t the greatest, once said something that has stuck with me. “Baseball”, he commented, “is a tough town”.

I don’t know if that came out the way he meant it to, but it’s kind of stuck I my mind, especially after recent events in my career. Two years ago, I was a 20-game winner on a championship-level team in glamorous Las Vegas, making plenty of money and the idol of thousands of Nevada citizens (including a number of showgirls, but I’m not getting into that here). Now, just a little over a year later, I’m living in an Air B and B in El Paso, Texas, hoping to get some innings in a park that seems designed to drive me out of baseball completely.

Not that the Chilis are a horrible organization. They haven’t had much success in their ten-year history, but there are signs of life. Cano, their center fielder, is a legit superstar; I enjoy coming to the park every day just to see what he’ll do. There are other bats, and there seems to be at least some awareness that the pitching staff deserves the benefit of the doubt given what they have to face in our home games. Our general manger, Chico Ruiz, seems to be an amiable dunderhead, which is at least better than some of the toxic characters I’ve worked for in the past.

Now I just have to get healthy- I’m recovering for an ouchy oblique- and start the long hard climb back to where I was in 2050. I can’t wait to face Las Vegas this year; we’re in the same division so surely I’ll get my chance to get a little revenge on the team that tossed me onto the scrap heap prematurely.

Or maybe, I think to myself sometimes in the middle of the night, Vegas was right about me. Baseball, man… as a very wise man once said, it’s a tough town.
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

mragland
BBA GM

Re: Poblanotes 52.3- Diary of Eugenio Asseldonk

Post by mragland » Fri Sep 16, 2022 8:58 am

Looking forward to more of this.

The Chilis are, um, hot.
Morris Ragland
President, Baseball Ops, Beirut Cedars (8/25/46 - 10/23/47)
President, Baseball Ops, Valencia Stars (10/24/2047 - 11/06/2058)
1005-974 Lifetime Record
2048 Caleca Winner

"Success is stumbling from failure to failure with no loss of enthusiasm." - W. Churchill

recte44
GB: Commissioner

Post by recte44 » Mon Sep 19, 2022 4:56 pm

Love it. I overpaid him and shouldn’t have.

lordtoffee
BBA GM

Post by lordtoffee » Sun Oct 02, 2022 5:49 pm

Very creative use of a TN article.
Chief Baseball Officer- Brooklyn Robins

The Rebuilding Will Continue Until the Robins improve.

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Post by chicoruiz » Mon Oct 03, 2022 9:13 pm

Asseldonk has moved into the starting rotation. I just hope things work out so that he gets his revenge start against Vegas.
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”