Poblanotes 52.1- Winter Meeting Uncertainty

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Poblanotes 52.1- Winter Meeting Uncertainty

Post by chicoruiz » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:00 pm

Well, as far as I can tell, there are five common mindsets for GMs going into the winter meetings:

1) I know what I need, and I intend to get it.
2) I know what I need, but I’m not sure I’ll be able to get it.
3) I’m rebuilding, so I’m bargain shopping for a little bit of everything.
4) I have pretty much everything I need, so I’m basically sitting back watching.
5) What the %#@&*????

In past years I’ve been all of them except #4 (almost nobody ever is a #4), but this year I’m definitely a #5. I’m coming off a 71-win season, so I should be rebuilding. But almost everyone on my team was either hurt last season or having an uncharacteristic down year that would lead one to expect a bounce back. So maybe I’m closer than it would appear to the wild card contender I was in 2050. The one thing I know is, I know nothing.

Looking at it another way, I have a whole team of Pete Braces. Pete added about 200 points to his OPS in 2050, then promptly gave them right back in 2051. Good Pete Brace can really help me, but if I’m going to get last year’s version, I should probably just sit him down, move Sanchez to 2B and go with a pure glove man at shortstop to help all my ground ball pitchers. But who knows? And I’ve got about 12 other guys in the same boat.

So I’m in no state to impose my will on the winter meetings; I just think I’ll play it by ear. After all, that philosophy has worked so well in the rest of my life…
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

RT60
BBA GM

Re: Poblanotes 52.1- Winter Meeting Uncertainty

Post by RT60 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:26 pm

Well said on the five mindsets, and I think one can change between some or most of them almost daily depending on their team. At least #5 isn't boring compared to #4. Because of the good shape of the team I took over, and my reluctance to take any chances as a first year GM (except for the trade I did with you), I think I am mostly #4 so far this off-season. I am sure I will be #5 in no time. You appear to have an interesting season coming up - definitely not a "set it and forget it" campaign!

CTBrewCrew
GB: FL Heartland Division Director

Re: Poblanotes 52.1- Winter Meeting Uncertainty

Post by CTBrewCrew » Wed Sep 14, 2022 7:31 pm

Fix the park! 😜

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”