Poblanotes 51.7- Wallflower

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Poblanotes 51.7- Wallflower

Post by chicoruiz » Wed Jul 20, 2022 3:22 pm

I was used to the playoffs being a party I wasn’t invited to. But now the trade deadline was also a party I wasn’t invited to.

I watched other GMs in the league wheel and deal and offer multiple players for trade, and I reflected on how I really didn’t have anything to offer. The few players who might be considered a help to a contender were on the 60-day IL, useless as a bargaining chip. I was getting trade requests from Larry Fain and Antonio Ruiz, two of my free agent signings who had performed their way out of a regular job. And if I opened a discussion on any of the crummy players who remain on my current roster, I knew all too well what the response would be- “Yeah, not really interested in anything like that, but let’s talk about Cano or Santos”. Yeah, let’s not…

So I sat in my office, playing Freecell on my computer and watching the season slide slowly into oblivion, bored to tears. I was so starved for something to do that I was happy to see Kade Lebowski enter my office. Kade is a fourth outfielder (or maybe a fifth) who’s been pressed into everyday service by our spate of injuries. He’s also not exactly the brightest bulb in the El Paso chandelier.

“Hey, Chico, hate to bother you if you’re busy, dude” he began.

“No, no… happy to see you, Kade. What can I do for you?”

“Well, it’s just that the training staff is so busy with all our injuries that I can’t get in to see them,” he said, taking off his left shoe and sock, “and I just really need an opinion on something. Take a look at this big toe… does it look like maybe an infected ingrown toenail?”

Okay, that was it. When the highlight of your day is looking at someone’s swollen toe, it’s time for radical action. As soon as he was out the door, I called my assistant and had him book a flight for me. He asked where to, and on the spur of the moment, I said, “Anchorage”. Our rookie league team is there, and even though their season was done, it would be good for their morale to know that the big, bad boss cared enough to visit. Plus, what could be more of a change from summer in El Paso?

I just hoped I could get through the trip without looking at any diseased feet…
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”