Poblanotes 51.6- Self-scouting my draft

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Poblanotes 51.6- Self-scouting my draft

Post by chicoruiz » Mon Jul 11, 2022 1:50 pm

Ahh, owners. Can’t live with them, can’t hit and hit and hit them with a shovel…

Okay, I kid. My owner, Dallan Allred, isn’t a bad guy, considering the teams he’s been forced to pay for over the years. We do the normal dance of me wanting a bigger budget, and him saying we’ll get one when we boost attendance, and then me saying attendance would go up if I had enough money to get more real ballplayers, and so on, and so on, ad nauseum… I think most GMs experience the same thing.

His one quirk that I don’t understand is his insistence that I focus on bringing draftees to the bigs. Every time I talk to him, it’s the same song. Hey… I’ve only been here a few seasons, and I don’t promote anyone until they show me they’re ready… so sue me.

Anyway, with this in mind, and knowing that in reality he’s kind of right- our drafting hasn’t been all that stellar- I decided this season to revamp my scouting methods. Our scouting department changed the way we evaluate players, using a secret formula, the details of which I have swore everyone to secrecy about. How did the changes work? Let’s get some early results:

My first-round selection of 2B Jason Newton was met with yawns by most of the Brewster. General opinion on him was not that high, but I thought maybe we saw something in him that others didn’t see, and made him the #2 position player drafted. And so far, I have to say he’s making us look pretty smart. Currently OPSing .964 with 3.1 WAR in just two months of play…that’ll do. He’s playing at high-A at age 21, which is pretty age-appropriate, and he’s on track to replace Pete Brace in a couple of years (fingers crossed).

In the second round I took 20-year-old reliever Rodrigo Rivera, and through some kind of snafu, he got sent to AA Columbus, a level or two higher than I meant to start him at. But you know what? He held his own there pretty well, leading me to hope that he can help sooner than I thought. Lord knows my beleaguered bullpen could use some help.

From that point, it was mostly 16, 17 and 18-year-olds, who are currently getting their brains beat out at Anchorage while they worry about what pimple cream to use or whatever kids that age worry about. The exception is fourth-rounder John Moore, whose .821 OPS at age 16 gives me hope that he could eventually carve out a career as a fourth outfielder or something.

Hey, maybe I've found the secret formula to get this owner off my back…
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”