Poblanotes 50.7- Jose Alba Hits the Lottery

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Poblanotes 50.7- Jose Alba Hits the Lottery

Post by chicoruiz » Fri Apr 15, 2022 3:47 pm

I was just farting around, working with a few of the catchers from our international complex, trying to show them how to play catcher without every third pitch rolling back to the screen, when I get a yell from one of the coaches: “Hey Jose… Skip wants to see you in his office”.

So when I check in, the manager just tells me, “You’re sitting this one out tonight… We might be making a move with you”. Uh oh, thinks I. It’s Single A Mankato for sure. Riding to road games in an old school bus with a family of owls living in it. Damn, my career is headed the wrong direction. Maybe it’s time to hang them up. I wonder if Home Depot is hiring…

Not long after that though, I get a call from my agent, Swifty. Now, let me explain about Swifty. When I first signed with him, he presented himself as a high-powered agent in the entertainment field who was branching out into athlete representation. Now, several years later, I find that his sports stable consists of me and me only. The rest of his clients are jugglers, fire-eaters and down-at-the-heels strippers, all looking for a week’s work at any of the seedier Nevada clubs. But anyway…

‘So, Jose, you heard the news? You’ve been traded to El Paso!”

Traded? Well, that was better than “demoted” or “released”. “Hey, cool, Swifty” I said, “So as I recall, their AA affiliate is in Columbus. Is that Columbus Ohio, Columbus Georgia, or Columbus Indiana? I need to know what clothes to pack”.

“Doesn’t matter which Columbus, sport… you’re going to the big leagues. El Paso its own damn self! We’re in the show again!”

Back in the majors! It’s been quite a while… I kind of didn’t know what to say…

Swifty filled the void. “Yeah… They’ve got two catchers who are both struggling to hit .200, so if you can top that, you might have a long-term gig. Just remember, I get ten percent of anything you make”.

I didn’t even hear him. I just walked back to the locker room to get my gear, my feet never even touching the ground…
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

niles08
BBA GM

Re: Poblanotes 50.7- Jose Alba Hits the Lottery

Post by niles08 » Fri Apr 15, 2022 7:25 pm

I wish him nothing but the best! Had no idea who the old fart was until I even looked him up when you asked about him lol

tylertoo
Ex-GM

Post by tylertoo » Fri Apr 15, 2022 8:41 pm

Great story. Love seeing TNs made out of seemingly routine moves.
Mike Dunn
Chicago Black Sox (1995-1996) (2049-2054)
Landis Champion: '95, '96

Edmonton Jackrabbits (2047-2048)
Tripoli Piranhas (2044-2046)

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Post by Dington » Mon Apr 18, 2022 1:47 pm

I'd rather work at Home Depot. Ha!
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*