BBA GM

Poblanotes 50.4- Trader's Remorse???

Post by chicoruiz » Sun Mar 06, 2022 1:50 pm

El Paso receives:

-P Rich Jacobs (ML 60-day DL)
-P Guy Mobley AA

Omaha receives:

-P Mike Adams (AAA)

I don't know about you, but every time I make a trade, I have... it's not exactly second thoughts, but let's just say that two little gremlins pop up on my shoulders. One says, "you idiot, you screwed up again", and the other one says, "way to go... you're finally catching on". Let's take a look at their arguments:

GREMLIN #1- "What the hell were you thinking, you moron? You traded a 24-year-old starting pitcher, who was the #1 overall pick in the draft, and what did you get in return? A pitcher with a shredded UCL, and another pitcher who's 25 and hasn't reached AAA yet! Dude, lay off the crack pipe when you're making trades! You're Mr. E.Z. Pickens for the rest of the BBA!"

GREMLIN #2- "Don't listen to him. Sure, Mobley is a bit older than Adams- less than a year, and his ratings aren't as high. But he's a lefty, and his stats are actually a little better than Adams's. And for making that exchange, you pick up a pitcher that has a chance to be a top-of-the-rotation guy if he comes back from this injury. And he probably won't cost much in arb next year because he'll miss half of this season."

I don't know which one of the gremlins to believe, but I do see a range of possible outcomes from this trade:

1. Jacobs comes all the way back and becomes a rotation stud for me.

2. Jacobs comes all the way back, but joins my growing collection of pitchers who can't pitch in El Paso after being successful elsewhere.

3. Jacobs never comes quite all the way back, but can be used as a valuable lefty reliever, which given his fragility might not be the worst idea ever.

4. Jacobs doesn't do much, but Mobley has a big year in AAA and turns out to have about as much value as Adams.

5. Jacobs never comes back, Mobley turns out to be a minor league journeyman, and Adams becomes a big winner in Omaha. I begin drinking during the daytime, and am eventually removed from my GM post. In a wheelbarrow...

We'll see....
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

ae37jr
BBA GM

Re: Poblanotes 50.4- Trader's Remorse???

Post by ae37jr » Sun Mar 06, 2022 2:40 pm

One of the keys to this game is making bad trades look good. If you always make trades that you clearly win, then nobody wants to trade with you. If you make trades that look bad, then everyone wants to trade with you

IMO, I would rp convert Jacobs. His 3rd pitch isn't great so he'll never live up to his big 3 ratings. As a rp he will be something like 11/8/8 with a 12 FB and 10 forkball. One of the best closers in the game. And like you said, bullpen should make less wear and tear on his arm.

I wouldn't be concerned about Adams making this trade look bad. If he stays in Omaha he is going to give up a ton of hr in that little league park.

In the end, you are gonna win some and gonna lose some. The only ones that are no fun are the ones you don't make.
Alan Ehlers
GM of the Twin Cities River Monster

Dington
GB: Recruiting & Development Director

Re: Poblanotes 50.4- Trader's Remorse???

Post by Dington » Sun Mar 06, 2022 3:36 pm

While Jacobs likely won’t be the same pitcher again, Adams was only a #1 pick due to circumstances. A few years earlier and he’s just another mid-round starter. Don’t think this trade will swing one franchise’s momentum either way.
Nashville Bluebirds GM
HOW I BUILD A WINNING TEAM <---Click
Kuwait City GM 2042-43
2043 UMEBA United Cup Champion*

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”