Poblanotes 2047.7- Sudden Popularity

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Poblanotes 2047.7- Sudden Popularity

Post by chicoruiz » Thu Jul 15, 2021 11:27 am

Leo Durocher said “Nice guys finish last”, which would make the 2047 El Paso Chilis candidates for sainthood if it were true. Up until recently, I hadn’t noticed that to be the case; most of the team regarded me as an outcast, something between an incurable leper and a curable leper.

Lately, though, I have noticed a severe change in attitude on the part of three of my players; suddenly I’m the belle of the ball to them. Mike England wants me to play golf with him on an upcoming off day. Anastasio Lopez invited me to dinner at his house. And Ross Quicker, God help me, keeps trying to set me up on a date with his sister.

It’s not too difficult to figure out what’s at work here. All three of these players are having bad years. All three have hefty team options for next season (about ten million apiece). All three of them know that if I don’t pick up that option, they will have extreme difficulty finding another GM to pay them that kind of money. So they figure, if they can’t make a case for themselves on the field, they’ll try to ingratiate themselves with the poor lonely GM off the field.

Spoiler alert: It isn’t going to work. Pathetic I may be, but even I know that I can find a better way to spend 30 million dollars than on three players over 30, none of whom currently has an OBP over .300. But it’s fun being sucked up to, especially for someone in my position.

Gotta end this journal entry now; I have an appointment for one of them (I forget which) to detail my car…
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”