Poblanotes 2047-1 Flight to Destiny

GM: Brandon Slouck

Moderator: bcslouck

chicoruiz
BBA GM

Poblanotes 2047-1 Flight to Destiny

Post by chicoruiz » Wed May 19, 2021 8:25 pm

I miss airline food.

It’s like, everyone used to make jokes about airline food, until the airlines said, “Well, screw you then… you’ll get a tiny bag of pretzels and a drink, and you’ll like it”. I had been forced to run through LaGuardia like Jesse Owens to make my connecting flight; I hadn’t had time to grab any real food, and I would have killed for one of the old chicken parms or club sandwiches of bygone years.

But even severe hunger couldn’t dull my excitement. I mean, I’m the new GM of the El Paso Chilis of the BBA! Me who, a couple of seasons ago was in charge of a team that lost 100 games in consecutive seasons… I don’t know what led El Paso ownership to pick mine out of all the resumes on their desk, but I’m not complaining…

“Excuse me buddy”, said the guy in the next seat. “You seem hungry. You’re looking at my pretzels the way I look at Charlize Theron. Do you want them?”

I accepted with alacrity, explaining that I had missed a couple of meals in my haste to get to El Paso and take over the Chilis baseball team. “El Paso, huh?” he said, “How much do you know about El Paso?”

“Well, I remember that Marty Robbins fell in love with a Mexican girl there” I quipped. He looked at me blankly; either he wasn’t a fan of 1960s country music or of my sense of humor. “Whatever you say… Anyway, it’s part of what’s called the Borderplex- cities in Texas, New Mexico, and Juarez, Mexico. I don’t know much about the baseball team there, but I get the sense that they haven’t been very good lately”.

“Yeah, I did some research online, and I got that feeling. I just hope ownership has some patience with me.”

“Hey- speaking of chilis” he said, “I got a joke for you. How can you tell how heavy a red hot chili pepper is?”

“Umm…I don’t know.”

“Give it a weigh, give it a weigh, give it a weigh!” He cracked up at his own joke. I personally thought my Marty Robbins line was better than that, but I forced a laugh; after all he was giving me his pretzels. Pretzels are worth a fake laugh, just like moving to a bigger league is worth going to a bad team. Life is a glass-half-full situation…
( “In baseball you don’t know nothin’...” Yogi Berra)

jiminyhopkins
BBA GM

Re: Poblanotes 2047-1 Flight to Destiny

Post by jiminyhopkins » Thu May 20, 2021 8:40 am

Excellent name! "Poblanotes" haha.

And bonus points for using "alacrity" in a sentence.
GM, 2051 and 2053 JL 4TH WILDCARD Phoenix Talons (2029-??), BBA
CARETAKER GM, 2053 GBC CHAMPION Tokyo Pearls (2053 - 2056)
GM, THE GREATEST MINOR LEAGUE TEAM OF ALL TIME Toledo Liberty
Vic Caleca Team News Award Winner: 2051, 2054, 2057

Fat Nige
Ex-GM

Re: Poblanotes 2047-1 Flight to Destiny

Post by Fat Nige » Thu May 20, 2021 3:45 pm

Good luck in El Paso, they are good at picking GM’s who can lose 100 games lol
Nigel Laverick
(former GM of El Paso Chilis #WeWereShitty) ,
Now GM Riyadh Red Crescents #WeBeNotSoNewNow #WeAreJustAsShitty

Riyadh GM since May 2046

JL Manager of the Year 2000 (Baltimore Monarchs)
Nothing since

An MBBA GM since 1995 (off & on)

Post Reply Previous topicNext topic

Return to “Rocky Mountain Oysters”